Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount Margaret Backcountry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justforfun

Justforfun
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 pm 
Has anyone hiked the Boundary Trail from Norway pass lately? There’s a trip report on WTA where the guy said he couldn’t pass about 2.6 miles in. I have passes to backpack there in a couple of weeks and I’m wondering if it’s passable or not. The forest service website also mentions a collapse on Lakes trail 211, which is part of my intended loop as well. Does anyone have any current experience with these? Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 1:06 pm 
The section of trail in the pic on WTA has been that way for years, and I've never even hesitated to cross it (nor seen anyone else get turned around by it), even with a full backpacking pack. It's just a few steps, and there are solid ledges for your feet. Maybe a dog would have a problem - but dogs aren't allows in the MMBC, which the WTA poster must not have known. The run out is a not-too-steep-gully, not a cliff, so it's not even particularly exposed (this coming from someone with a bad head for exposure). I haven't done the full Lakes Loop this year, so I don't know if the washout on that trail is worse than last year. There was one in particular that was pretty bad last year, and that combined with the extreme brushiness and general lack of views until you get right to the lakes (coming from the Coldwater Lake side), I vowed not to hike that trail again. IMHO, the ridge is where it's at, anyway, and what makes MMBC so special, although some people obviously love the lakes.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 pm 
It's important to remember to take WTA reviews with a grain of salt. Last year I made an early trip mid week to Blanca lakes to beat the crowds. Still lots of snow on the ground and there were people out there in flip flops. Then a WTA post said the trail had snow crossing that were nearly impossible to navigate and that crampons ice axe or poles were required ( or something to that effect). Some people have no tolerance for anything that is not well groomed trail. That being said this section of trail was fine when I went a few years ago. But if your truly worried call the ranger station for an update.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Justforfun

Justforfun
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:30 pm 
Thanks for the info!