Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best Car Camping Cooler
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:37 pm 
Not coolers, but these work great for liquids, and they're cheap on Amazon. I have a black one, it spent the day in my car in the sun today, when I got back the outside was hot, but my water still had so much ice. 🙂 https://www.simplemodern.com/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Aug 23, 2019 7:25 pm 
I just bought one of the Walmart "Ozark Trail" coolers that are a knockoff of the Yetis. The purchase process confirmed all of the worst stereotypes of Walmart employees, as it seemed to take 10 minutes and 6 employees and managers to remove the battered and scuffed anti-theft device attached to the cooler. The cooler itself seems sturdy and has thick insulation, about 2" on all sides. High R-Value...that's what you want in a cooler! I'll go camping with it soon to test its performance. Stay tuned!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 am 
whitebark wrote:
I just bought one of the Walmart "Ozark Trail" coolers that are a knockoff of the Yetis. The purchase process confirmed all of the worst stereotypes of Walmart employees, as it seemed to take 10 minutes and 6 employees and managers to remove the battered and scuffed anti-theft device attached to the cooler. The cooler itself seems sturdy and has thick insulation, about 2" on all sides. High R-Value...that's what you want in a cooler! I'll go camping with it soon to test its performance. Stay tuned!
Come to our Walmarche. It is being "remodeled" and folks, including me and employees wander around with a puzzled look trying to find where things have been moved. I noticed these coolers while looking for something yesterday. They look sturdy. They had not been moved, yet. They put in a lot more self checkout lines so you'll have to probably wait longer for somebody to come and remove the anti theft stuff.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 pm 
I've spent a lot of time at Walmart. The employees for the most part are pretty normal. Checkout lanes have the least seasoned employees but at the desk they are pretty good, I'd say as competent as any retail store. No, you're not at Nordstroms, although some of the customers that come in seem to act as if they were. I'd say the biggest difference between Walmart and other stores is the clientele.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 pm 
Wally’s Worlds vary a lot by location. Renton is pretty nasty but Kent is much nicer. The best ones are in the middle of Utah where they are the best store in town. Their mail order is hit or miss. Their house brands are not Kirkland Signature. If you are a manufacturer they are a pain to work with

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:33 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Wally’s Worlds vary a lot by location. Renton is pretty nasty but Kent is much nicer. The best ones are in the middle of Utah where they are the best store in town. Their mail order is hit or miss. Their house brands are not Kirkland Signature. If you are a manufacturer they are a pain to work with
This is true. I like our Omak store. It's the people who live here, I think. I hated the Chehalis store. It seemed crowded and hard to get around in, and sometimes scary. It's got to be hard to come to work and have things moved every day during the "remodeling". I also suspect (I haven't had the urge to stop and read the little signs posted all over) that overnight parking has been banned. This is going to be a shock for the Canadians who camp and shop.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 10:16 am 
Update on the 55Qt Lifetime Cooler: Works great. I began with 2 x 10lb blocks to cool things off. As I added warm food and beverages I added an additional 4 x 10lb blocks over the next 3 days, and stopped adding ice at that time. I cooled numerous cans and bottles of beer, cartons of cream, eggs, milk, meat, fruit, and veggies, leftover pizza, and lunch meat. After 11 full days I still had about 15lbs of ice left, and I could still throw in a warm 12 pack and get it cooled down. Conditions: 8 days residing inside a pickup shell. Daytime temps in the 80s, with a couple in the 90s. Inside the shell the air was usually hotter than the outside ambient air temperature, but the cooler was not in direct sun that way. Then 3 days of sitting on the porch in Spokane. Highs in the 80s. There will still be ice for a couple more days...but will become ineffective once I am down to 10lbs as the cooler is too large for food to be good incontact with that little amount, and that is a lot of empty space to cool now that the ice is mostly gone. I am happy with it.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Gregory

Gregory
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:40 am 
Keep an eye on the drain. I had a friend that had two leak on him. This was over a year ago and I think I saw a thread on Expedition Portal about the Wally Yeti knockoff, where a Wally world rep was asking for input on this cooler so they may have resolved it. I thought about getting a couple but I get the same results from the Coleman extreme just not as rugged. People like to steal these high-end coolers also.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 11:06 am 
Thanks for the heads up. On mine, the drain cap seems pretty solid and beefy. It has a replaceable gasket, the same ones that standard garden hoses use.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm 
Great info and ideas, folks here's the lifetime 55 qt at Walmart

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Usarre

Usarre
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 am 
I just spent 10 days camping in temps ranging from 87 degrees to a low of 43. I had an Igloo max cold and an old Coleman metal 3 way convertible cooler for the trip, Both coolers were cooled with a bag of ice for a day before being loaded for the trip. I had lined the Coleman with Refectix and used it as my food cooler https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-coolers-for-camping/. It had 4 blocks of ice and all the meat I put in it was frozen, It also held eggs,cold cuts,cheese etc. It was opened at the most twice a day and kept in the shade. The Igloo held drinks and was opened quite a bit. It had a couple of blocks, pre-cooled drinks and cube ice to fill it. It was kept in the shade also. The Coleman with Reflectix lining still had 2 blocks of ice that were about 1/4 of their original size. The last pack of foil wrapped bacon was still partially frozen and the last 2 eggs were cold. This is MUCH better than this cooler has done in the past. After this little experiment every cooler I own is getting a Reflectix lining, It seemed to make a huge difference. This is the video that gave me the idea. smile.gif I did the same thing but mine wasn't as nicely done as his.

glenoid

glenoid
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 pm 
Liked the video. Might try it on some of my coolers. Thanks for sharing. (Did you try his salt water frozen bottle idea?)

Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 8:04 pm 
Frozen saltwater is definitely colder but my experience is that the saltwater ice doesn't last as long.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 8:52 pm 
Saltwater has a lower freezing point but so do gel packs, don’t reinvent the wheel. Basic Pchem.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
glenoid

glenoid
PostWed Oct 16, 2019 8:14 am 
Really helpful comments MC....