Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lost everything on honeymoon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 9:57 am 
I know exactly where that part is. Before that little pond , we kept trekking past that . There was a cairn however where we crossed over which deceived me a little hence dropping down .

It’s just over the next ridge !
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:04 am 
contour5 wrote:
Quote:
A carton of whatever you drink or reward will be awarded of course !
Was this your first serious backpacking trip? I mean, it is a serious trip for an ordinary walker. Took me a couple of tries to get to Spade Lake that way. I flailed in bad weather out there sorta recently. I can lead you on a recovery mission but it will require 4 full days, cost you $1400, and you will be required to carry the larger portion of gear outbound.
I’ve done similar but not completely off trail like that before ! Ohhh $1400 dammit , not what I was expecting uhoh.gif

aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:20 am 
I’m thinking I go next weekend to re asses the situation . Will be a little easier without the wife ( who isn’t a confident with this type of traverse ) and our dog too haha . Can’t be leaving packs in this beautiful place !

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 11:32 am 
Good luck with the retrieval. And there's a good lesson there about cairns. It could have meant any number of things, from "this is still the way along the top of the ridge" to "I'm not sure this is right, but this might at least help me backtrack..." to "cool viewpoint, I think I'll stack some rocks while I chill here" There are times where an obvious line of them hints strongly at an intelligent route through an area where it might be easy to wander into a navigational time sink; but more often when off trail the ones I've seen seem to hint that I'm probably off track just like whoever built the cairn.

contour5

contour5
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 1:12 pm 
Wait a while. There may well be someone far younger, faster and cheaper willing to do the trip and carry more of the gear. Don't wait too long, or goats may chew the straps off, making the packs much more difficult to carry.

aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 1:58 pm 
I’m ok with lugging a ton of gear . I’m probably going next weekend !

canadug

canadug
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm 
Sadly, in a weeks time the Snafflehounds and all the other critters up there will have torn those packs to shreds.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 8:41 pm 
If the weather holds I'll be up for it. Worst case I'll hang out at Circle while Aussie brings a pack down and then goes back for the other one. clown.gif

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 9:09 pm 
Tom wrote:
If the weather holds I'll be up for it. Worst case I'll hang out at Circle while Aussie brings a pack down and then goes back for the other one. clown.gif
Now that sounds like a plan.... gonna be some heavy loads hiking out. But it’s not so far in that you cam’t ferry back and forth.... What an adventure for a honey moon.... at least you were all OK.

When I grow up I wanna play.
aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
That sounds great ! I’m sure we can lighten the load by a lot by eating most of the food and using the 4 gallons of water in one haha . As long as another helicopter isn’t called . I think this will make for a great story ! This is a lot different to the beaches of Australia hihi.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:49 am 
edito...That being said, hope everyone doesn't take my comments wrong... SO here's some more! rolleyes.gif W'eve all screwed up two some extent, this is how you learn...I met a girl in line at lynwood rei, she was getting a new bag and was stoked! about her first overnight trip, I don't think she really knows the suffering she's in for on some trips...ok..we all luv to suffer right? then we are rewarded with amazing things...(as I say" in the real church")... I tried to emphasize following the old school rules like real maps-etc.... I'm curious as to the details ...of not backing off that was discussed between you and wife ...you didn't break the rule of separation? (that's #1)... your pack was lost, retreat with wife's gear and dog was not possible?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 am 
Mistakes or not, a persons life is always worth more than their gear or some trash and SAR would rather rescue 100 people that probably maybe could have self extracted than have one try and die or get seriously injured. Most people who have spent any time in the backcountry at all have forgot something or dropped something to an unretrievable spot or will at some point. Try to counter act that with carrying out other peoples mistakes whenever you can. If anyone, especially the OP goes to get the packs, please be careful and stay within your skill level.

aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 9:37 am 
forest gnome wrote:
edito...That being said, hope everyone doesn't take my comments wrong... SO here's some more! rolleyes.gif W'eve all screwed up two some extent, this is how you learn...I met a girl in line at lynwood rei, she was getting a new bag and was stoked! about her first overnight trip, I don't think she really knows the suffering she's in for on some trips...ok..we all luv to suffer right? then we are rewarded with amazing things...(as I say" in the real church")... I tried to emphasize following the old school rules like real maps-etc.... I'm curious as to the details ...of not backing off that was discussed between you and wife ...you didn't break the rule of separation? (that's #1)... your pack was lost, retreat with wife's gear and dog was not possible?
Basically we came down a section that was a little slippery for my wife’s liking and she got stuck on a point where she couldn’t go no more . I had the dog. When I say while we were waiting my pack . Slid down as some loose rock shifted . And her pack was left behind as the my wife had to jump to a more accessible spot as the chopper couldn’t get to where she was ! However confident I felt , I didn’t wanna risk my wife or dogs life shakehead.gif

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 am 
I was just up there last week and pika/mice destroyed the pockets of my pack that had a sweaty bandana in it while it was in the vestibule right by my head at night. Hopefully there’s an intact backpack to recover. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 2:41 pm 
Idea: bring a couple of empty packs, if the ones there have been critter damaged, you can still haul the stuff out.