Forum Index > Trip Reports > White Chuck 8.18.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 pm 
I was not as lucky with the weather, but I went to White Chuck this afternoon. The whole summit was in the cloud and it was raining moderately and everything was wet and cold, but I had no problems getting to the summit. I guess because I couldn't see anything, the scramble became instantly way less exposed! You cannot be afraid of heights and exposure if you cannot see it smile.gif Just hop along the rocks. I didn't take Cookie to the summit, but it didn't end up looking like anything she would be afraid of. On the minus side I never saw any views. The best part was listening to all the pika. Winter is coming! And pikas can already feel it. Dozens upon dozens of rocks along the slopes of the White Chuck mountain were neatly covered by piles of freshly cut lupine, being dried into hay, leaves and beans together. Pikas' Farmers' Almanac must have told them it is the lupine harvest season now.
Cookie waited for me below the summit scramble and enjoyed her time with the little snow we found around.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 9:49 am 
Nice! Good to know. A friend has this earmarked and I'd like to take the dogs. Nice work, Cookie!

fishonjoe

fishonjoe
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 11:35 pm 
kitya wrote:
I guess because I couldn't see anything, the scramble became instantly way less exposed! You cannot be afraid of heights and exposure if you cannot see it smile.gif Just hop along the rocks
Sorry, this statement kinda bugs me...one slip in those exposed sections and there's a good chance you're a goner. I would not climb that mtn in wet conditions...but that's just me.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 am 
fishonjoe wrote:
guess because I couldn't see anything, the scramble became instantly way less exposed!
Kitya was just using humor. Of course she knows the exposure is real, but I believe her point is if one relaxes, still being mindful of one's location, they can move safely rather than tensing up and 'freezing'. (IMO White Chuck is basically a steep hike on a path with a few no-fall places)

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 pm 
Quote:
basically a steep hike on a path with a few no-fall places
Yeah, "one" of the "no-fall places" is a pretty decent stretch of trail along that ridge!! While it was basically easy walking, I found I used a lot more energy than needed due to nervous tension. The sketchiest bit I recall though was crossing some sloping ledges that were covered in ball bearing gravel and which terminated at the bottom in a rather steep and LOOOOOONG drop. Not being a rock climber, I don't feel terribly "calibrated" to how solid my friction grip on such ground is. Going back down it wasn't my favorite. It seems like a really cool "hike" for the right people and I'm glad I did it once, but I probably won't do it twice.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 3:53 pm 
Sounds a lot like Pugh, which I have avoided for the same reasons, but then I am definitely not a "Peak Bagger". I do enjoy an excellent view, but there are many places to hike with much less (if any) risk for that, like Pilchuck or Lookout Mt I just hiked in N Idaho.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 4:16 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Sounds a lot like Pugh, which I have avoided for the same reasons, but then I am definitely not a "Peak Bagger". I do enjoy an excellent view, but there are many places to hike with much less (if any) risk for that, like Pilchuck or Lookout Mt I just hiked in N Idaho.
IMO Pugh is steeper but much less exposed. I took a 3 yr old there while wearing minimalist shoes, which I wouldn't have done on White Chuck (agree with joker's assessment). Pugh is quite a workout though and these days you're not likely to be alone.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:35 pm 
neek wrote:
IMO Pugh is steeper but much less exposed. I took a 3 yr old there while wearing minimalist shoes, which I wouldn't have done on White Chuck (agree with joker's assessment). Pugh is quite a workout though and these days you're not likely to be alone.
eek.gif No way I would take a 3 year old up Pugh. The ridge between Stujack Pass and the summit block has plenty of exposure, and in places narrow w/ some loose dirt/gravel tread. A bit of class 3 scrambling beyond the traverse, and while it's not difficult there is plenty of no fall terrain up there. I'm surprised at the nonchalance I see attached to that peak at times. It gets sketchy in a few spots when its holding snow.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:44 pm 
I agree ^^^ I met a hiker on the trail a while back who had a friend who fell on the Pugh trail and has permanent brain damage. I might still do it someday, if the timing is right, on a weekday, with a clear, not too hot weather....O' and motivation, that's a tough combo.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 9:18 pm 
I think Whitechuck may be one of the more underrated hikes in the PNW. Great report and photos from everyone. And there's a real brass Mountaineers register on top -- what more could you ask for?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 am 
joker wrote:
Not being a rock climber, I don't feel terribly "calibrated" to how solid my friction grip on such ground is.
I spent a couple years as a rock climber. Everybody drills a healthy respect for ledges into you, people make mistakes and sometimes die. I wanted to be on belay, but the route isn't protectable.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 am 
Some great "mood" shots, Kitya! Sometimes hiking in such weather can be more interesting than blue bird days, as long as you're not pelted on much, and don't mind the lack of panoramic views. It's always fun to see pics of Cookie enjoying herself; what a great mountain hound. All the pika action must drive her crazy.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 12:07 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
joker wrote:
Not being a rock climber, I don't feel terribly "calibrated" to how solid my friction grip on such ground is.
I spent a couple years as a rock climber. Everybody drills a healthy respect for ledges into you, people make mistakes and sometimes die. I wanted to be on belay, but the route isn't protectable.
Yeah. As we descended, a dad was belaying his daughter on a harder but more protectable route to climber's left of these roof-pitch-and-gravel-strewn ledges.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 5:18 pm 
The road was rough, but there was a van at the trailhead when we arrived, gone when we left.