Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
Previous :: Next Topic  
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:59 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Lol ..big deal, he pulled his sidearm out just in case, better to be prepared than not.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostSun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm 
Exactly Tom

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am 
I don't have any issues with people packing a personal side-arm on a trail; given some of the crazy stuff that's been happening to hikers these years, I've often wondered whether hiking alone is even safe anymore, especially for women; but I guess I'm not motivated or scared enough (given the odds) to get one.

But FWIW re the dog situation: my first response would never be to pull a gun on someone's unleashed pet on a trail.  Maybe those who pack and are sufficiently unfamiliar with canines that the first response to a dog running up a trail is to pull the gun out, perhaps having a  "plan B"along - a canister of capsacin (there are small ones that fit in the palm of your hand) or an air horn should be considered.  Even Kwai-chang Caine used his most lethal moves last, Grasshopper.   ninja.gif   Just sayin'.   wink.gif

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Its why we cant have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I would not mind running into a person open carrying on a trail a hundred times less than an unleashed pit bull.

Tom wrote:
I think he was saying the risk of an unleashed pitbull harming you is 100 times more. Sounds about right.

I don't mind open carry either. When someone draws the situation changes, I think we all agree on that, and that is what happened here. When someone targets another person or their animal...

My original reason for responding stands. XRP demonstrated irresponsibility as a firearm owner. Then he decided to double down by flexing about it when challenged, wonder how things would have gone in the heat of the moment on the trail? Be safe out there!
Dave Workman

Dave Workman

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 2:42 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Exactly Tom

Works for me.  up.gif

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jordan
y

Jordan

y
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:52 am 
I conceal carry at all times.  I always open carry on the trail for quicker access and get a ton of uncertain or fearful looks. The looks always surprise me, you are deep in the mountains alone, if there is anywhere to carry a gun its in the woods.  Only have drawn it once in all my years of hiking and that was due to an unseen but agitated animal about 10 yards off the trail.  Doubt I would ever draw on a dog coming up the trail but I guess it would depend on the situation.

--------------
none
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 pm 
interesting how different some states are. When I used to go down to Phoenix to work at the Palo Verde Nuclear plant I would always stay with my mom in Apache Junction for three or four weeks after the job was done.  During that time I would hike in the Superstition Mountains four five days a week.  In well over 80 hiking trips in the Arizona desert, only once did I come across another hiker who WASNT armed!  In all my years here in Washington.  In thousands of hiking trips Ive only once seen another hiker armed.  LOL.  I carry concealed at all times, mountains included.  In the past I carried open in the out of doors but too many times I scared people, and that's not what I want to do.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
Dave Workman

Dave Workman

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:55 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
interesting how different some states are. When I used to go down to Phoenix to work at the Palo Verde Nuclear plant I would always stay with my mom in Apache Junction for three or four weeks after the job was done.  During that time I would hike in the Superstition Mountains four five days a week.  In well over 80 hiking trips in the Arizona desert, only once did I come across another hiker who WASNT armed!  In all my years here in Washington.  In thousands of hiking trips Ive only once seen another hiker armed.  LOL.  I carry concealed at all times, mountains included.  In the past I carried open in the out of doors but too many times I scared people, and that's not what I want to do.

Well, Tom, some people are easily scared, for no rational reason. Just sayin'.  winksmile.gif

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 8:21 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:

Well, Tom, some people are easily scared, for no rational reason. Just sayin'.  winksmile.gif

Thanks Dave and I don't disagree, but I really don't want to ruin anyones outdoor experience if I don't have to.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm 
Thursday October 17, 2019 14:49 PDT

WDFW NEWS RELEASE

WDFW announces pink is legal

OLYMPIA The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has established rules for fluorescent hunter pink.

During the 2019 legislative session, the state legislature passed Senate Bill 5148 that allows hunters to wear fluorescent hunter pink. The Fish and Wildlife Commission recently adopted rules to implement the legislation, which allows hunters to wear fluorescent hunter pink, fluorescent hunter orange, or both. Several other states have passed laws allowing hunters to wear pink clothing for safety.

"Hunters must follow the same requirements as hunter orange if they wear hunter pink," said David Whipple, WDFW hunter education division manager. "If you hunt during a season that requires visible clothing, you're required to wear a minimum of 400 square inches above the waist that is visible from all sides."

A hat, by itself, does not meet the requirement. Hunters may wear fluorescent hunter orange and fluorescent hunter pink on different garments or the same garment. As with hunter orange, a camouflage hunter pink pattern is legal as long as it is fluorescent. Hunters can find more information on hunter pink at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements/ethics-safety/hunter-orange.

"This legislation follows that of numerous other states across the country and simply gives Washington hunters an additional color option to be seen while out in the field," said Jen Syrowitz, Washington Outdoor Women Director. "And, if one grandfather in pink inspires his granddaughter to explore the outdoors, that is a great supplementary outcome!"

Since WDFW began requiring hunters to wear hunter orange, as well as pass a hunter education class, hunting incidents have declined significantly in Washington.

"We're excited to add this new option for our hunters," added Whipple. "Many hunters, regardless of gender or age, are looking forward to wearing fluorescent hunter pink."

Those who wish to learn more about hunter safety can visit our hunting education and requirements page at wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements.

-WDFW-

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 3:17 pm 
Pink huh?  Hell, I don't even wear orange.  I hunt from my deck, on my property.  Other than that, orange works for me.

--------------

Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 8:24 pm 
real men wear pink
real men wear pink

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
  Happy Birthday uproar!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: