Forum Index > Trail Talk > Lost everything on honeymoon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 4:42 pm 
Update : So a friend of a friend has offered to help me do this tomorrow , he’s an experience climber so it should run smooth . Gonna be a long day but hopefully we get all the gear . Appreciate everyone’s input and offers to help .

It’s just over the next ridge !
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 5:38 pm 
My wife and I did a similar trip up there right before we got married. She learned three things. 1. How not to glissade. 2. She is in the "No F...n talus club". 3. Don't go off trail with her husband. It ended well and without SAR. But these adventures are just adventures as long as everyone gets home safe. What does that bumper sticker say?...."My best vacation is your worst nightmare".

"May you live in interesting times"
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:31 pm 
DadFly wrote:
2. She is in the "No F...n talus club".
I am right there with her on that, especially after climbing 7 finger jack...never again! Plus this area of this topic is very ugly and unappealing to me. Plus I like trees and nice trails, but different strokes I suppose.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 9:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Plus this area of this topic is very ugly and unappealing to me. Plus I like trees and nice trails, but different strokes I suppose.
Well that's for sure. I find the Mt. Daniel/Circle/Venus/Spade/Rowena/LaBohn Gap/Mt. Hinman/Pea Soup Lake area to be one of the most uniquely spectacular areas on Earth. I love high alpine terrain. I've done the traverse from Circle to Venus/Spade 3 times so far. OP was definitely way too far North. The descent from the ridgeline adjacent to The Temple down to Venus is obnoxious and annoying because it's a series of big benches/steps that have to be hopped down, but it's in no way dangerous. I effing hate cairns UNLESS they mark something that is truly not obvious. Too many times they are utterly useless OR lead people astray. Sorry to hear about your troubles aussie1990. Good luck getting your gear back.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 pm 
aussie1990 wrote:
Update : So a friend of a friend has offered to help me do this tomorrow , he’s an experience climber so it should run smooth . Gonna be a long day but hopefully we get all the gear . Appreciate everyone’s input and offers to help .
Okay, aussie1990, good work on finding help. Best of luck in your endeavors. AND we definitely want to hear the rest of the story when you get back. You got us hanging now... wink.gif ~z

kevin98208

kevin98208
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 10:35 am 
aussie1990 wrote:
using the 4 gallons of water in one
Did I read that right? You were lugging 32 pounds of water in one pack? You know you can get water at the lakes, right? Or the snow melt? Any details of the rescue? You have peaked (no pun intended) interest.

aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 9:55 pm 
kevin98208 wrote:
aussie1990 wrote:
using the 4 gallons of water in one
Did I read that right? You were lugging 32 pounds of water in one pack? You know you can get water at the lakes, right? Or the snow melt? Any details of the rescue? You have peaked (no pun intended) interest.
Haha that was a typo ! It was one gallon and yah just got back ...story to follow wink.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 10:30 pm 
aussie1990 wrote:
Haha that was a typo ! It was one gallon and yah just got back ...story to follow wink.gif
I thought you were trying to be funny, glad you got your stuff back, hope the varmints didn't eat too much? Also glad Tom didn't have to help, he needs to heal up, getting old and such..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 am 
I didn't help but Dayhike Mike had to bail on our Rainier hike today so I figured I'd head up to Circle and say hi. Dan (from another site) helped Aussie recover the packs. I ran into them at Peggy's Pond. Also ran into Fletcher and Julia who were also heading to Circle. Great day to be out in the mountains.
I was wondering if I'd see a car with Idaho plates and lo and behold the car I pulled in next to seemed to fit the bill
I was wondering if I'd see a car with Idaho plates and lo and behold the car I pulled in next to seemed to fit the bill
Aussie (Luke) at Peggy's Pond
Aussie (Luke) at Peggy's Pond
The packs
The packs
Fletcher and Julia at Circle Lake.
Fletcher and Julia at Circle Lake.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 9:46 am 
Wow! What an adventure. Sorry it ended with a helicopter ride. A few things come to mind: 1) This is a lesson most of us have learned at some point (some of us more than once), to varying degrees. I feel humbled when I read something like this and remember things I've done that I wasn't adequately prepared for, or unplanned situations that could've ended worse. It's usually a series of bad decisions that lead to an accident/tragedy, so: 2) Kudos to OP and his wife for making some good decisions: Her not continuing to travel in terrain beyond her ability, them staying together, and having the courage to make a potentially difficult/embarrassing call. This story could have ended a number of different ways and you did what you felt you needed to do to get your family out of there safely. up.gif 3) Additional kudos to the OP for attempting to make the situation right post-indecent by recovering the gear and seeking experienced help for company on the quest. up.gif I wish you two the best and I hope this incident only strengthens your relationship and appreciation of each other!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 1:41 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
I effing hate cairns UNLESS they mark something that is truly not obvious. Too many times they are utterly useless OR lead people astray.
This can't be stressed enough, IMO. I always assume that they were placed by someone who was off route first, and then see if other facts lead me to choose another conclusion. Facts like the route they appear to suggest seeming reasonable for instance.

aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 2:21 pm 
I appreciate this ! Lessons learnt , being somewhat new to mountains and traversing this sort of terrain , it’s been a great help . The packs are back home now and everyone is safe smile.gif So a week after being airlifted out of Venus on my honeymoon , My self and Dan from mountain project made the day hike back up . Left the cathedral rock trail head at 4.45 , we ended Up back at the bags at around 10.30am. The trek down to the bags was a little sketchy , super loose rock and coming up with the heavy bag gave dan (who’s a seasoned climber ) a challenging time . On the way back we bumped into Tom and a few other forum members , what felt like forever , we made the trip back to the cars by 6.30. What a day and what a learning curb . The wife was happy , not so happy about me already planning our next trip hihi.gif hihi.gif Thanks for everyone’s help and advice . Big shoutout to dan who drove to help out and accompany me

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm 
Awesome!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:00 am 
Aussie, your last picture above looks like a marmot? On our 2013 trip wye ran into a family of ptarmigans on our way up from Circle.
BTW, I went ahead and consolidated the various threads into one.

aussie1990
Aussie explorer

aussie1990
Aussie explorer
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 9:17 am 
Yes Tom he was a big one , look like we woke him up on our early morning hike haha . I’ve never seen those birds before .