Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Dog
Previous :: Next Topic  
Paulabeth

Paulabeth

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Our dog Wilson went missing on August 1, 2019 on the Watson Anderson trail in Washington State near Baker Lake. He is a male golden retriever, approximately 7 years old. He has a black collar with a tag on it with his name and address information. He is also microchipped. We are diligently searching for him. Any information would be appreciated.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
veronika

veronika

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 10:32 pm 
bawl.gif
I hope you find him!

--------------
Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping

I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 pm 
Me 2! Goldens are so awesome.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 am 
Damn...Good Luck!

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 am 
Have you reached out to  the  folks at Missing Pet Partnership? I've heard some very good stories of them helping track and recover lost dogs. In any case, good luck, and if I head up anywhere near there I'll keep an eye out.
Paulabeth

Paulabeth

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 pm 
Thanks for your support. We really miss him.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:03 pm 
I'd go back out there with a loud emergency whistle.  Not sure, but I think a dog might respond to such a noise and move toward it.  And the sound can probably travel farther than you can shout.  Dang, I  hate hearing about stuff like this.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 2:24 pm 
Have you left a sock, jacket, item of clothing that has your smell on it in the area?  That is supposed to work if the dog tracks their way back.  Then they supposedly stick around your smell.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be humanĖĖanimals and aliens are great possibilities
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 3:14 pm 
I hope the owner will put up posters along the adjacent roadways and TH's.  The dog may eventually make its way to a road somewhere.  I'm reminded of the poor pooch who showed up nearly a month after his owner disappeared under sketchy circumstances on Sauk Mountain in 2010.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
wolffie

wolffie

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm 
I've heard one can leave your worn, unwashed clothing out to attract a lost dog -- the smellier, the better: unwashed shirt, dirty socks, anything with your odor on it.
veronika

veronika

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 pm 
If the OP does use personal items (which I can attest works well), I would put a note on them so they are not carried off by fellow hikers. Again, hopefully he is found safe!

--------------
Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping

I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 10:46 am 
Just a suggestion - you should post all your updates here, not in the new thread you made, "Wilson". This was in the news recently, so don't give up!
After 31 days lost in woods, dog is reunited with Vancouver WA family

--------------
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:59 pm 
Paulabeth - Just checking in to see if you found Wilson.  Thought of you today when I saw today's Seattle Times story, below.  flowers.gif
Not quite the same environment, but an uplifting story ...

Woman finds her dog after 57 days missing in Montana

--------------
fourteen410

fourteen410

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Thought of you today when I saw today's Seattle Times story, below.

Me too. I was hoping it was about Wilson until I read the article. Glad that one had a happy ending (despite a very strange escape). Hope Wilson has a happy ending, too.
kiliki

kiliki

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 pm 
Emergency recall is the best thing I ever taught my dog. Before he lost off leash privileges while hiking, he took off in the Henry Jackson wilderness--there was no rustling of bushes, no clanking of tags, he was GONE after an animal or a scent. Only after a while of panic did we remember we had an emergency recall! For just this type of situation! We used it and he came out of nowhere back to us. I mean to look into training him to respond to a whistle as an emergency recall as well since that sound travels so much better than a voice (my question is, will he respond to all whistles, or do I need to buy 20 of the same one so I have one forever?).

https://www.thesprucepets.com/teach-dog-emergency-recall-1118240

Do it for 40 days every day, then do it regularly around the neighborhood or house to stay in practice. It needs to be so deeply ingrained in their brain they will respond even when doing something really fun, like chasing a deer (it also worked for this with my dog).
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Dog
  Happy Birthday outdoorgirl, wildernessed!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: