Forum Index > Trail Talk > Burned boy airlifted from Toleak Point on Olympic coast
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 6:09 pm 
The Coast Guard medevaced a 10-year-old boy with burns from Toleak Point. A Coast Guard Air Station Port Angeles MH-65 rescue helicopter crew airlifted the boy and his mother to Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles early Saturday morning. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/video-burned-boy-airlifted-from-toleak-point-on-olympic-national-park-coast/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:51 pm 
When I was leading scouting outings, scalding from a tipped over pot was the the one thing that I was always scared of. You can deal with many injuries in the back country, but a large burn is not one of them. No idea what these particular circumstances were.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Gregory

Gregory
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 7:31 am 
I had a friend in a different troop but we attended the same high school get a full cast iron frying pan full of burning bacon grease kicked into his face. He was cooking bacon for the troop on the campfire when the pan of grease ignites and a fellow troop member kicked the pan straight into his face trying to put it out. He had to endure a boat ride to Harbor view as they were on Blake island.

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 am 
I was on a Boy Scout hike along the coast when that happened to one of us, pot of boiling water tipped over, somewhere west of Lake Ozette. My vague recollection is that one of the leaders hiked out with the burned scout to the lake, and somehow...waved down a boat(?). (I'm not sure how likely that is, but that's what's in my memory.)

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 9:40 am 
Quote:
The boy reportedly had second degree burns on both feet and a portion of his left leg.
I think this is why he didn't just hike out. At least he got helped

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 am 
Hot water is the most dangerous substance in academic chemistry labs (at least, it causes the most injuries). The new high-efficiency bottled gas stoves are tall and topheavy, an accident waiting to happen. I'm scared of mine, and allow no one near it. The instructions emphasize keeping children 10' away. Do that! Grownups, too? I've heard of a severe burn requiring helivac caused by a child tipping a pot over with a marshmallow on a stick while the adults were distracted. The scoutmaster's son had to be evacuated after spilling boiling water into his boot. It makes sense to keep children away from the kitchen stove, too. Even careful parents get distracted. <ahem> I will admit nothing about the old-enough-to-know-better who put a pan of oil on the stove to fry some shrimp, and left it unattended -- while the family slept -- extremely lucky to get away with nothing but $1,000 worth of smoke damage...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 6:25 pm 
Ah yes..burns..and i dumped a pot of boiling water with pasta in on both my legs at 3 fools camp. We had just come down from The high country on the boundary trail..started at iron gate. I had long underwear on that i quickly pulled off and went into 3 fools creek to cool down the burns. My left leg was burned on the inner calf..huge blisters. The right leg..by my inner ankle a more serious burn i learned a week or so later. Very painful BUT..we were im not so sure how far from the lake..and night was upon us. I dressed the burn as best i could and the next two days we hiked out the 21 miles. I knew i needed to keep the burns clean..so that was the biggest challenge. Have lovely scars and vivid memories..never ever have a pot where if it spills will land on your body. Much learned..the pain is real and i was lucky it was water with no oil in it..i did get an infection on the deepest burn...that was the most painful..but happened a week or so after the initial burn. So be careful..always

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams