Forum Index > Trail Talk > Post hike recovery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 7:16 pm 
Chocolate milk is my preferred "recovery" drink. It's about as good as fancy recovery drinks costing far far more. It has the same carbohydrate/protein ratio as the fancy stuff. The size I choose depends on the duration of the day. Typically I get a pint at the first convenience store on the drive back, but earlier this summer after 14 hour day. I got a quart. I won't buy the 24 pack of pints from Costco as it's too tempting to consume and I'm not doing 4+ hour workouts on a daily basis. The other thing that helps is avoiding the "weekend warrior" pattern as much as you can. The more hours of motion you can work into your weekdays, the less sore you'll be on Mondays. Walking at a decent clip, even just 20 minutes each weekday makes a significant difference.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:44 pm 
Yoga. Cannabis and yoga. And ice cream (I don’t do Cannabis anymore; I moved on to harder drugs). It was an 8 day trip on the east side, carrying a lot of water and most of the gear. Just finished my second half-gallon. Prevents depression, too.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:53 pm 
Chocolate milk, really? My Pseudo "White Russian" concoction would probably work just as good or better. Fill a tall glass half full with ice, then add 2-3 ozs Vodka, about 1 oz of Kahlua and fill with milk. I like it much better than a standard version using Irish Cream, which I find to be too sweet since Kahlua is already super sweet. I also make my own Kahlua, which is really cheap and easy, especially if you have friends who bring back authentic vanilla extract from Mexico. To me it tastes like a milk shake.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:10 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Chocolate milk is my preferred "recovery" drink.
Then you should try the quality choc milk from Twin Brook Creamery. Comes in glass bottles; there's a deposit.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Chocolate milk is my preferred "recovery" drink.
Then you should try the quality choc milk from Twin Brook Creamery. Comes in glass bottles; there's a deposit.
I've had that from the Greenlake PCC. But I think it's hard to get a sufficient workout at Greenlake to require a recovery drink. Recovery drinks have greater effect when consumed relatively soon after a workout, which means either Darigold from the closest mini-mart or packing the "crunchy" stuff in a cooler with ice (and then hoping trailhead vandals don't break in thinking the cooler has beer)

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:34 pm 
My PT was a professional endurance athlete (retired) and she was the first to tell me about chocolate milk for recovery. Besides the obvious rehydration, my routine is usually a hot epsom salt soak for my feet, ibuprofen, whiskey and then bed. The next day I take an easy hike of moderate distance but little elevation or a moderate bike ride. Stretching is never a bad idea either.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm 
I usually stash a kombucha in the cooler for the drive home. Guess I should throw a chocolate milk in there as well.

pushkarwallah

pushkarwallah
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm 
Hot Sauna, cold plunge. Repeat 3x All good.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Chocolate milk, really?
Yeah, it's well known among athletic folks. Top bad it tastes so gross. shakehead.gif

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:19 pm 
Yes, magnesium should be helpful. And I second the vitamin C and epsom salt bath. I would add self massage. A roller like a rolling pin works pretty well too. I like the idea of kalua etc but any thing with sugar is probably not going to decrease inflammation. Sadly.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Chocolate milk, really?
Yeah, it's well known among athletic folks. Top bad it tastes so gross. shakehead.gif
I have always really liked it, when I was younger I would get up in the middle of the night and have a glass. We always had a big can of Nestles Quick powder mix.
Brushwork wrote:
I like the idea of kalua etc but any thing with sugar is probably not going to decrease inflammation. Sadly.
Than what is it about Chocolate Milk that supposedly helps with recovery?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 8:55 pm 
Your body needs protein and carbohydrates to do the work of recovering. Chocolate milk has both, and exactly the right amount of both. Also milk is very good at rehydrating you.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 10:59 am 
But why chocolate milk instead of regular, isn't that just added sugar?

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
th"]Your body needs protein and carbohydrates to do the work of recovering. Chocolate milk has both, and exactly the right amount of both. Also milk is very good at rehydrating you.
You also get four important electrolytes: sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 11:52 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
But why chocolate milk instead of regular, isn't that just added sugar?
Precisely. Regular milk has a 2:1 ratio between carbohydrates and protein, chocolate milk has a 4:1 ratio, the same as specialty formulated recovery drinks. Perhaps for a lower intensity workout like hiking it's less important, but with higher intensity workouts where "bonk" can occur, restoring consumed glycogen quickly is beneficial. Simpler sugars facilitate this. Also when one is deeply fatigued, food often loses it appeal, so the tastier the better. https://uamshealth.com/healthlibrary2/medicalmyths/chocolatemilkworkoutdrink/ My guess is that a significant percentage of people experiencing discomfort following a demanding hike, a big chunk of the discomfort is due to simple dehydration. If you aren't peeing several times during a hike and/or your urine isn't clear or very light is color -- these are symptoms of dehydration.