Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two Missing Hikers - Downey Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 4:48 pm 
From the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office Facebook page: The Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team is searching for two missing hikers at Downey Creek trailhead. David James and Marshall “Buster” Cabe left on August 16 and were expected to return on August 23. Family members called 911 yesterday to report the hikers missing. They had food and supplies to last one week and family members believe their intended route was Downey Creek Trail to Bachelor Creek to Cub Lake. Anyone with information about their whereabouts is asked to call 911. Search and Rescue, SNOHAWK10, Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue, Everett Mountain Rescue, King County SAR, Seattle Mountain Rescue and Tacoma Mountain Rescue, continue to search for the missing hikers. https://www.facebook.com/SnoCoSheriff/posts/3078588162215236

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 am 
hmm...seen on the news...4 days overdue...rescue crew is on it...with 2 people you'd think one would be able to hike out...

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am 
50th Anniversary hike perhaps? From a 1969 article in the Herald:
Quote:
Abominable Snowman Sighted Near Darrington by 2 Youths By Elizabeth Poehlman Everett Herald Darrington -Two Darrington area boys didn't believe in abominable snowmen Sunday of last week. During the next 24 hours they became firm believers. After returning from a week long camping trip, they reported that three of the mysterious creatures chased them from Cub Lake, high above the Suiattle River to within a few hundred yards of their camp about a mile away. Mark Meece, 16, Darrington, and Marshall Cabe, 14, Rt. 3, Arlington, were among eight teen-agers who hiked from Downey Creek Campground up the Downey Creek and Bachelor Creek Trails Monday of last week. At 6:30p.m. the boys made camp less than a mile from Cub Lake. After dinner Mark and Marshall volunteered to hike to Cub Lake and Itswoot Lake to scout for fish. It was on their return that they spotted the first of the creatures across Cub Lake. "I asked Mark what it was," Marshall said. Mark at first thought it was a big bear or just a snag. But then the creature made a "come on" gesture with its arm and two more like him came into sight. As the boys watched, the three creatures started around the lake toward them. The boys said the three animals stood on their hind legs and ran like men. "They looked more like big, well built men than apes, Mark said. He said their arms came about to their knees. They were covered with long black hair except on their faces. Their heads "dipped in and out at the forehead," Mark said. Both boys said the creatures were 10 to 11 feet tall and moved with great ease. With the creatures coming after them, the two boys ran up a rock slide that sloped away from the lake. Half-way up they looked back to see that the three creatures - about 50 yards behind - had spread out as if to surround them, they said. "We were both so scared we were shaking," Marshall said. "We told each other goodbye. We thought we were going to die." The three animals called to one another with a high shrill sound, according to the boys. At the top of the ridge above the lake the boys dropped down to the camping area where their six friends were. "At first they didn't believe us," Mark said. "But then they saw how white and panicky we were and they did” Both boys feel it was the sight or smell of the campfire that kept the creatures from pursuing them down the ridge. Have you ever believed the story of the abominable snowman? Marshall was asked. "I never have believed in it. I always thought it was a bear. Now I don't care what anybody says; I know it wasn't a bear." "I know what I saw." Mark said. "I've never seen anything like it before.” Others in the group were Gene Karger, Steve Richter, Gerald Nations, Ernie Gladsjo, Shawn Beauchamp and Gary Booker. Most of the group returned to Darrington Thursday after fishing in Downey Creek. None of them ventured into Itswoot Lake as they had originally planned. Robert Taylor, district ranger in Darrington District of Mount Baker National Forest said this morning that his office had received reports of the incident but was not taking it too seriously. He said he would not send anyone into the area especially to investigate the report, but "If we have anyone going up that way we'll ask them to look around." He said the district has never had a report of any such strange creatures.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:49 am 
I bet you're right, Randy! Astute observation.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 am 
If they decided to head back down from Cub lk via/through Sulfur Ck...that is a tough area to travel in, much less search in. When I was a younger punk it still took us 2 days to get through, and we were pretty tough at the time. Devil's Club, 6'-7' diameter downed trees to find a way over, crawling on bear trails through slide alder and vine maple...crawling 10' off the ground and passing packs though one-by-one for hundreds of yards at a time...It was as Fred Becky had described it: "Dark, Dank, and Dismal" were his words I believe...maybe "Dreary Depressing and Dismal...lots of "D" words anyways. Glad they have some good weather for now. Hoping to the best turnout!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 12:58 pm 
Interesting find Schroder. I wonder if they were injured while on a nostalgic exploration of the Cub Lake environs.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm 
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 3:03 pm 
Good vibes to the missing hiker and those still searching.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 3:53 pm 
From SCSO Facebook page: Around 2 p.m. today the Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team located two missing hikers near Sulphur Creek. The first hiker located was 59 year-old David James. He was flown by SnoHawk10 to Darrington and transported by aid to Cascade Valley Hospital for medical treatment. About an hour later, 64 year-old Marshall “Buster” Cabe was located by ground searchers, flown out by SnoHawk10 and transported home. James told rescuers they had been out of food for five days and he didn’t think he would have survived another 24 hours. The two hikers left on Downey Creek Trail on August 16 and were expected to return from their hike on August 23. On August 26, family members called 911 to report the hikers missing and Snohomish County SAR launched a search operation. Thank you to the many agencies and volunteers from Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue, Everett Mountain Rescue, King County SAR, Pierce County SAR, Skagit County SAR, Seattle Mountain Rescue and Tacoma Mountain Rescue who assisted with this search operation. https://www.facebook.com/SnoCoSheriff/posts/3081209985286387

JimK

JimK
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 4:20 pm 
Nice to see a happy ending.

nordique

nordique
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 4:38 pm 
Seattle Times: 2 missing hikers found alive in Snohomish County after 5 days without food Searchers located two men Wednesday who did not return on time from a hike in the North Cascades, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office. David James, 59, and Marshall “Buster” Cabe, 64, were found near Sulphur Creek, about a mile and a half away from the Downey Creek trailhead where they started their trip on Aug. 16. James was located by searchers around 2 p.m. and was flown to Cascade Valley Hospital via helicopter, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office. He was severely dehydrated and said they had been out of food for five days, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Courtney O’Keefe. James told rescuers he didn’t think he would have survived another 24 hours. Cabe was found about an hour later by searchers on the ground. He was flown out by helicopter and taken home, according to the statement. James and Cabe were supposed to return from their hiking trip on Friday. Their families called 911 when they hadn’t returned by Monday. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/1-missing-hiker-found-in-snohomish-county-search-continues-for-other/

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 pm 
Perhaps this will affect my decision whether to renew my SPOT3 annual contract. I have been disappointed with the device's apparent inability to get routine "tracking" or "OK/Check-In" signals out of deep valleys and timber -- there have been many times when "Check-In" signals have not appeared on my shared webpage -- but I believe emergency signals get much higher priority. Any thoughts on this? I do not like the psychological effect of carrying a satellite messager, but after watching some solo hikers disappear and the determined efforts of SAR, I sorta figure I owe something to the heroes (I first wrote, "poor sods") who have to go looking for me. This should be an interesting story. Why did they separate? Isn't conventional wisdom to make a safe camp, stick together, and wait -- as long as someone knows you're missing? How good was the info they left with their safety contacts (good enough, apparently)....? I have several friends (including myself) who have survived unplanned nights out through a combination of some skill and good decisions plus a huge dose of lucky fine weather. One began as a carefree solo afternoon stroll up the ridge from camp, but would have been deadly had normal weather returned...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:15 am 
Good to hear they've been found alive. Of course, now I want to know what the heck happened!

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:08 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Good to hear they've been found alive. Of course, now I want to know what the heck happened!
Yep, up.gif That extra person really adds a huge margin of safety!

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:10 am 
wolffie wrote:
Perhaps this will affect my decision whether to renew my SPOT3 annual contract. I have been disappointed with the device's apparent inability to get routine "tracking" or "OK/Check-In" signals out of deep valleys and timber -- there have been many times when "Check-In" signals have not appeared on my shared webpage -- but I believe emergency signals get much higher priority. Any thoughts on this? I do not like the psychological effect of carrying a satellite messager, but after watching some solo hikers disappear and the determined efforts of SAR, I sorta figure I owe something to the heroes (I first wrote, "poor sods") who have to go looking for me. This should be an interesting story. Why did they separate? Isn't conventional wisdom to make a safe camp, stick together, and wait -- as long as someone knows you're missing? How good was the info they left with their safety contacts (good enough, apparently)....? I have several friends (including myself) who have survived unplanned nights out through a combination of some skill and good decisions plus a huge dose of lucky fine weather. One began as a carefree solo afternoon stroll up the ridge from camp, but would have been deadly had normal weather returned...
My understanding of beacons is that the signals are severely restricted when in dense timber. I have a ACR, instructions really emphasized this very point.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost