Forum Index > Trail Talk > Beaver Lake frightening experience.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 6:02 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Wow, he was good with an ax. Such nice clean flat smooth chopping.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 6:13 pm 
rolleyes.gif Yes some of them were tackled with a saw.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 6:36 pm 
I know I'm late to the party, but those who take every possible opportunity to post a photo of their gun might want to read some Freud. hihi.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
The Gift of Fear is an excellent book that examines this very topic. There are different versions available - hard cover, soft, and kindle - it's a very useful read. To the original poster - good call on canceling your hike. You already noticed this man before you even turned into the trailhead with your car. He could have been following you - or just going in the same direction. But I would venture to guess that your feelings of unease had started before even the gun and axe had appeared. The trail will still be there in the years to come. You can visit it again some other day. But tonight you are safe and sound in your home because you trusted your gut. Good call.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 6:52 pm 
Bob Barker's from Darrington? Who knew? confused.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Damian

Damian
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 8:17 pm 
lol.gif Too funny Hulk. You ruined this thread ya know.
Kim Brown wrote:
I often come upon locals doing stuff on trails; collecting nettles to eat, foraging for mushrooms. You never know
Yea remember the guy we ran into standing on a bridge in his pajamas and slippers smoking a pipe? Good thing we trusted our gut with that guy. My gut told me that he had smoked a bowl or two and would have talked us to death if we'd let him.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 pm 
Damian wrote:
For what it's worth i still agree with the OP's gut to go elsewhere. I would have done the same.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm 
Allison wrote:
Bob Barker's from Darrington? Who knew? confused.gif
Sumpin' else what's cool that we just learned on Darrington's Facebook page is that Cecil B. deMille had a hunter cabin in Darrington! The place is full of famosity; Bob Barker, Cecil B. deMille, and the High Ice filming, among other things. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Apr 29, 2012 9:52 pm 
Damian wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
I often come upon locals doing stuff on trails; collecting nettles to eat, foraging for mushrooms. You never know
Yea remember the guy we ran into standing on a bridge in his pajamas and slippers smoking a pipe? Good thing we trusted our gut with that guy. My gut told me that he had smoked a bowl or two and would have talked us to death if we'd let him.
Sittin on a rock on the PCT near the campsites below Mica Lake, he was, but yeah, my gut talked to me and said to chill, he's alright. He would have enjoyed chatting us up. Slippers, stripped pajamas and a robe. he was stylin'. Had a pup-tent he bought at Bartells, doing the Washington PCT. I still wonder if he was alright the next few days; when that rain set in for the next few days, it meant business. (Weren't there a bunch of guys in slacks and leather street shoes at Mica Lake, too, or was that somewhere else?) Mica Lake attracts some real wierdos, boy...

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 am 
Hulk, thanks for posting those pics. I was going to suggest that someone may be trail clearing and when did an axe become a death weapon to be feared on a trail? So many have gone amuck with this axe killing murderer I hope they trip over the next fallen tree and fall on their face and break their tofu. Maybe they will thank, appreciate the nameless people that cut, chop and remove those tripping hazards and not freak out the next time they see someone with an implement of trail clearing destruction...... hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 8:57 pm 
BigBear wrote:
Yeah I know, I used to carry open on my packs waist belt. Nobody wanted to talk to me waah.gif . I must scare the hell out of people when I show up at the trailhead. Not only do I have a gun but a chainsaw instead of a wimpy axe. People must watch to many horror movies wink.gif . Saying he did not look like a hiker? Does that mean he did not look like a page torn from an REI catalog? All this profiling is making me sick!
Chief Joseph wrote:
Note to self: In order to secure silence and solitude on a hike, open carry and tote a large ax, preferably a double headed one. poop.gif Just to be sure, also carry a radio blaring the Deliverance theme song, drive an old ford, wear suspenders, an old worn out hat, complete with bullet holes, be unshaven and un-bathed for at least a week...... yep, that should do it. eyes.gif
Lmao...this tread is hilarious! Yea, I'm bored.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 10:15 pm 
I shudder to think of how many women I’ve innocently scared half to death, lurking and stalking stealthily, silently, in the woods and in the city, dressed in my dad’s old army jacket (a fashion at the time, as was looking much less kempt than below-average homeless folks), sometimes at night (when stalking owls), armed with binoculars that might easily be mistaken for a handgun, and a large bulge in my pocket concealing my Golden Guide to Birds of North America (I didn’t carry openly). I was a teenager, and hadn’t yet learned that women live with much more fear than I do. Being a biology major, I also spent a lot of time hiding in the bushes, patiently keying out plants, insects, etc., and anyone who saw that today would immediately think, “meth head; I’m outa here!” That’s why I need a cute dog who’s always smiling. I’m such a sketchy-looking guy, I need a character reference at all times. Of course, I often carried a shotgun, too... but that was as common as a fishing pole.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 11:07 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Note to self: In order to secure silence and solitude on a hike, open carry and tote a large ax, preferably a double headed one. poop.gif Just to be sure, also carry a radio blaring the Deliverance theme song, drive an old ford, wear suspenders, an old worn out hat, complete with bullet holes, be unshaven and un-bathed for at least a week...... yep, that should do it. eyes.gif
lol this whole thread reminds me of "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil"! I used to carry a DJI Osmo gimbal camera hiking in its case which could either look like a tiny violin or a great big hand gun depending on your frame of mind......

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 pm 
wolffie wrote:
I shudder to think of how many women I’ve innocently scared half to death, lurking and stalking stealthily, silently, in the woods and in the city, dressed in my dad’s old army jacket (a fashion at the time, as was looking much less kempt than below-average homeless folks), sometimes at night (when stalking owls), armed with binoculars that might easily be mistaken for a handgun, and a large bulge in my pocket concealing my Golden Guide to Birds of North America (I didn’t carry openly). I was a teenager, and hadn’t yet learned that women live with much more fear than I do. Being a biology major, I also spent a lot of time hiding in the bushes, patiently keying out plants, insects, etc., and anyone who saw that today would immediately think, “meth head; I’m outa here!” That’s why I need a cute dog who’s always smiling. I’m such a sketchy-looking guy, I need a character reference at all times. Of course, I often carried a shotgun, too... but that was as common as a fishing pole.
I recall running into you once, I believe as we exited the Necklace Lakes after a five night trip starting at the Foss Lakes. Your dual corgi greeting squad definitely helped adjust my reaction to you! wink.gif We were actually kind of pleased to finally meet the notorious CLF!!

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:02 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
The Gift of Fear is an excellent book that examines this very topic.
When we don't listen to our own gut or brain, we sometimes commit the Social Validation Fallacy: "They did it, so I can do it." "All these other people can't all be wrong." "Everybody else is doing it." I have done some really stupid things by copying what my friends/family/others did. Ironically, when it comes time to calling off a venture (trip, climb, or some other project), it is the weakest, least experienced, or most junior party member who must be the leader, and say, "I can't do this; we have to stop". A pal did that on a Himalaya climb, and as soon as he spoke up, all the much more experienced partners agreed with him (the avy danger was very high).

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.