Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two Missing Hikers - Downey Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 8:07 am 
If you follow the drainage out of Cub Lake you end up in Sulphur Creek. Not the first time that's happened.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:39 am 
wolffie wrote:
Isn't conventional wisdom to
These guys have lived in the area all their lives. They probably don't give a rat's ass about "conventional" anything. The mountains are their back door. Getting separated happens to hikers/climbers of all experience. These guys probably head out all the time; maybe to fish, hunt, etc. Perhaps not very far in - from the photo in the articles, it doesn’t appear they care much about a fitness routine on Mt Si, expensive gear, plastic clothing, gadgets, or Backpacker Magazine lists and gear reviews. They look like regular folks that simply go outside & do stuff. They have spunk and moxie. I like spunk and moxie.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am 
These guys were incompetent.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:57 am 
I saw the TV interview and it seemed like there was something "clouding" their judgement. peace.gif toothless.gif Some of what happened doesn't make sense. They had planned to be out a week but ran out of food well before their due date; was that the "gear lost in the fire"? But I was not there...so there could be portions of the story they didn't air on the news. That footage was most likely cut and edited. Either way, it made them look like dolts.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
neek

neek
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 11:23 am 
I like following stories like this (and those that end worse) because there are often important lessons to learn. I'm glad it ended well, but is there anything that can be learned here? Nope! Moving on...

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am 
Schenk wrote:
They had planned to be out a week but ran out of food well before their due date;
I didn't see the interview, but from the info provided by the sheriff's office, they planned to be out a week (August 16-23) and were found 12 days after they left (August 28). If they were out of food for five days as was reported shortly after they were found, it seems like they planned about the right amount of food for a week-long trip.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 am 
Schenk wrote:
there could be portions of the story they didn't air on the news.
News stories often cut out the most relevant points, or an important segue. I recall being interviewed at length out WTA’s week long work parties back in the late 1990’s, and of all I said, about how cool it is to use ancient building techniques like the wedge and fulcrum to move giant boulders and logs, cross-cut saws, how being with the same people working on projects away from civilization for a week forged good friendship and internal fortitude, and all that sort of bullsh## - what was printed was something like, “it’s fun, Brown says.” Then there’re always the TV interviews when the best stuff is cut, and all that they show of the poor sap being interviewed is him saying something like “I didn’t never see it coming,” or even worse, “it’s fun.”

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 pm 
I would like to know the story (long version) of what happened. Seems like they were kind of lucky to have been found. I’m grateful that we have such a community (and large one)that will do these rescues.

When I grow up I wanna play.
ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm 
Friends were asking me why the two would have been separated. Without any knowledge of what actually happened, I have one main theory which basically boils down to: what's your attitude like when you haven't eaten in 24 hours? I can easily see two guys getting pretty grumpy if they haven't eaten in a couple days, are trying to find their way out, one thinks it's better to go left, one thinks it's a better route to the right...

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:04 pm 
neek wrote:
I'm glad it ended well, but is there anything that can be learned here? Nope! Moving on...
I had a fairly long response here questioning your statement.. but after re-reading it and your above words.. it dawned on me... no one on this forum would make the mistakes these two did... so.. you are correct.... Glad they're safe.. Glad their families didn't wait until Tuesday to contact authorities...

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:45 pm 
Ignore these lessons at your peril, hiking enthusiasts! When the pair didn't return home on the 24th, family members reported them missing. Cabe said the pair tried to take an old shortcut to save time, but that route had become too thick and treacherous to move quickly. At some point, the pair lost the trail altogether. Cabe, 64, said he learned mountain survival skills from his uncles after hiking Snohomish County's Downey Creek Trailhead 50 years ago, in 1969. Cabe figured ants would provide enough protein for him to keep going. Cabe said James lost a boot and his entire sleeping bag in a campfire accident, and then lost his knee brace. Cabe said he gave James his raincoat and a few other supplies, and then tried to hike out, looking for help. Maybe learning navigation is as important as learning to eat bugs? And, be careful your campfire doesn't destroy your boot and sleeping bag?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 pm 
No sasquatch sightings this time around?

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:57 pm 
"Campfire accident" might be a code word for "SQUATCH ATTACKED US!" Or maybe things got really crazy when that second half gallon of whiskey ran out.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
Schenk wrote:
They had planned to be out a week but ran out of food well before their due date;
I didn't see the interview, but from the info provided by the sheriff's office, they planned to be out a week (August 16-23) and were found 12 days after they left (August 28). If they were out of food for five days as was reported shortly after they were found, it seems like they planned about the right amount of food for a week-long trip.
Ahhh...either I misheard, or it was misreported; I thought the due date of August 26 was given on the news piece I watched. Either way, glad they are OK and in a couple weeks it will be the best adventure of their lives...or maybe the second best since they didn't see Bigfoot this time.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 pm 
Seems like SAR and the media don't want to harsh on lost hikers even after they are found, and I get that, but I would love to see something--maybe a blog by a SAR person? That talks to the found hikers and puts together a "lessons learned" article. Yosemite does it, or, did through last year anyway. https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/psarblog.htm It seems like it could be very instructive, especially to all the new hikers that are out there. And it would satisfy my curiosity--how did he lose his shoes??
Quote:
“I didn’t know if (the mushrooms) were poisonous or not, I didn’t care,” said James. “I had no shoes for five days
I don't know my 'shrooms. It's not a bad idea to learn the poisonous ones, I can see now.