Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Locked my keys!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:07 pm 
Man I locked my keys in my car!!! Now look!!! I gotta sit here for at least an hour now!!! That's the the damn deal I guess. I hate being told the deal. I prefer telling others what the deal is!!! Sittin' outside my house now JUST STEWIN'! can't get in the car or the house!!! MAN!!! and that phone batt's gonna go soon!!! Good thing I'm not at a deep, deep trailhead!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:46 pm 
A double lockout. Harsh. Happens to us all, more than once, even. Had to break into my house, 2nd floor, using extension ladder. That was fun. A male friend once admitted he'd locked his keys in his truck at a Montana gas station. In the winter. With the engine running. Now that's embarrassing. doof.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:09 am 
One of the many wonderful uses of duct tape is attaching a spare key to an obscure location on your vehicle.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 6:48 am 
also locked my keys in truck which was still running...electric door locks...but the window was open a crack and with a coat hanger i just needed to press the unlock button...now i carry a key in my wallet!!!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:16 am 
Call OnStar. Unless the phone is also locked in the car. Or find a big rock. Back in the old days, 1977, I was a bagger at a big grocery store, one of my favorite tasks was breaking into people's cars. Specifically the customers cars who locked their keys inside. Back then every car just had a pull up button on the door, easy to get the coat hanger around it. Only a Caddy or the like had electric windows back then. Speaking of old and in the way, I was at JFK recently and they still had a long bank of payphones...what's up with that? And people were using them. 😮

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 2:25 pm 
It’s very simple to add a keypad style remote garage door opener. That would let you into the house and access to a second car key. Really handy to have. You can make a key copy without any of the smart keys or remote features really cheap. It won’t start the car, but it will unlock the door or trunk. That would be safer to hide or and easier to carry in a wallet.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
contour5

contour5
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 pm 
I thought that was why pants have pockets on both sides. I always carry two sets of car keys...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:11 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
Speaking of old and in the way, I was at JFK recently and they still had a long bank of payphones...what's up with that? And people were using them. 😮
That actually makes sense, JFK sees huge numbers of international travelers whose SIM cards / mobile plan from elsewhere doesn't work in the US. You can buy a "pay as you go" US SIM card at JFK, but on Canal street it will cost a fraction of the airport price. The taxi queue at JFK can be ridiculously long and then you are in NYC traffic. Unless I'm arriving after 8PM or before 8AM, I take the AirTrain and subway.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 6:02 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Sittin' outside my house now JUST STEWIN'! can't get in the car or the house!!!
Reminded me of an article some time back on SummitPost. Quite imginative, and well written, funny. I keep a spare key in a combo lockbox, screwed to a hidden location. Have used it a time or two... :-)

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 6:17 am 
Our truck has a key, key pad, and phone app to prevent lockouts.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:23 pm 
After half a dozen incidents (mostly at the office where waiting wasn't a big deal), I now carry a spare car key in my wallet. I should probably be embarrassed by the number of times I've had to use it.

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 pm 
I too have done the lock out mistake. AAA driver who rescued me gave me a tip; put a spare key behind one of your license plates by placing the screw thru the plate and then the hole in the key. Could duck tape it to the rear of the plate also. A coin or knife blade etc. will remove the screw. I also carry a spare door key in a pants pocket which gets used more than I like to admit.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 2:09 pm 
New fat car keys don't fit in wallets, are moisture sensitive and aren't $100, $200 but $300 dollars to replace!!! $321, I think Scion charged me for one key!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 4:01 pm 
Brucester wrote:
New fat car keys don't fit in wallets, are moisture sensitive and aren't $100, $200 but $300 dollars to replace!!! $321, I think Scion charged me for one key!
I believe a locksmith can make a physical key without the electronics. It won't start the car, but it will unlock the door. Also a locksmith can make a spare key with just the security electronics to start the car (no buttons for keyless unlock) for more like $60.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 5:08 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Brucester wrote:
I believe a locksmith can make a physical key without the electronics. It won't start the car, but it will unlock the door. Also a locksmith can make a spare key with just the security electronics to start the car (no buttons for keyless unlock) for more like $60.
Further, if you take a key with the chip in it, tape it up inside the steering column, then the "generic" key will start the car.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology