Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 12:11 am 
Tom wrote:
So it's about being able to swerve without losing control?
Kind of, but it's a lot more about getting a feel for where your tires are at under your car which will help you avoid objects in the road and be better able to judge where your tires are at in relation to the sides of the road. All of the things I mentioned may not be useful in and of themselves, but they are ways to help you learn how to control your vehicle. Ever seen athletes like football players running through a series of offset tires as fast as they can? They'll never have to do that in a game, it's an exercise designed to help them develop reflexes for foot placement, rythm, and speed. You don't have to swerve much, if at all to practice this. Certainly not too the degree it would put you in danger of losing control. Try it the next time you change Lanes on the freeway. Can you change Lanes without touching any of the little "turtles"and do it smoothly?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 am 
Not to hijack the thread but this is the probably the last thing I would try the next time I change lanes on the freeway or try to master over time. Maybe just for grins with no cars in sight and a straight stretch of highway. Is it supposed to help you guage speed? Who comes up with this stuff? Is it part of a commercial driving test?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:48 pm 
Tom wrote:
Who comes up with this stuff?
People who spend a lot of time driving lonely, bare, open roads at night.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 9:01 pm 
Tom wrote:
Not to hijack the thread but this is the probably the last thing I would try the next time I change lanes on the freeway or try to master over time. Maybe just for grins with no cars in sight and a straight stretch of highway. Is it supposed to help you guage speed? Who comes up with this stuff? Is it part of a commercial driving test?
Don't know if it was his idea, but my dad used to do this when I was little, just to show it could be done. There shouldn't be anything dangerous about it. You act like it requires you to swerve suddenly and violently or something, but that's not the case. You have probably inadvertently done it with at least one set of tires without even trying. The price of failure is you hearing that rapid "thumpity-thumpity" sound you've heard a million times when changing lanes on the freeway. It's not terribly difficult and again, does not require any jerky, sudden maneuvers, it just requires you to concentrate on your timing. I just thought it was something easy to do that anyone who is interested in improving their timing and feel for where there tires are on the road could practice.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 pm 
Naw, I've never tried or heard of it so had no idea. I figured it might be something pops taught. My concern would be that it does nothing to improve driving skills and only would distract one from what they should be paying attention to when changing lanes.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 11:53 pm 
There are many things that make a skilled driver. Vehicle control is only one of those things.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:17 am 
To underscore one of the points I believe Bedivere is trying to make: Next time you're driving down a narrow street and there's an oncoming car, note the distance he's leaving between the passenger side of his vehicle and the cars parked along the curb. Most drivers have no clue when it comes to how wide their vehicle actually is. I see it every day when I pull out of my driveway. Because they have no clue about how wide their vehicle is, they also have no clue about exactly where the tires are hitting the pavement.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:33 am 
Bedivere wrote:
There are many things that make a skilled driver. Vehicle control is only one of those things.
So VERY true!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology