Forum Index > Trail Talk > Frosty Creek Trail - Icicle River moved?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 1:24 pm 
When I last hiked to the "Lady Lakes" via the Frosty Creek trail to Frosty Pass it was in the late '70s. Leaving the TH at the end of the Icicle Riv road, hiking NW along the Icicle you reached the junction of the Frosty Creek trail in a little over 2 miles, maybe .75 mi past the French Ridge trail junction and about .5 mi before the Icicle-Frosty confluence. After forking off the Icicle trail, the Frosty trail crossed over the Icicle River to the north side wandering through some pretty meadows for a half mile before beginning to ascend the side of the valley, crossing Frosty Creek at about 3050 ft and then switchbacking up to the pass. The 1989 topo shows this trail location. Beginning with the 2004 topo and subsequent maps, the Frosty-Icicle trails junction is now located 1.5 - 2 mi further upstream near the Doughgod Creek confluence. Can anyone who has hiked the Frosty Creek Trail recently please give me a report on current conditions of the "old route" ? Can you still find the pre-2004 trail that cuts off just past French Ridge, crossing the Icicle and Frosty? Is it still being used, can you find it, is it overgrown too much? I'd prefer to use the older route as it would cut off several miles when departing from the Icicle TH and heading to Frosty Pass. I have a fading memory of that trail, I think the last time I was on the old route was the early '90s. If no one has any information, I might go up and recon it a little and see if I can locate it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 7:28 pm 
I missed the old trail on the way down a couple years ago. (Totally confused as my map was old and the trail was taking me way out of the way). Crossing the icicle might be more of an issue than finding the old trail. ? I think I followed it down to the river, so that part of old trail should be apparent. (The lower part) At the time, I thought it might be worth trying to follow, if you can ford the river.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Aug 29, 2019 8:56 pm 
I've been to the old crossing a few times. If you know where to look, or match it up with an old map, the old trail take-off point is pretty evident, with perhaps a few branches thrown across it. There was a log crossing that dumped into devil's club on the other side of the Icicle and it seemed the old trail has been obliterated by years of blowdown, but might be a good adventure. rolleyes.gif You could probably wade the river right now. Anyway here's a TR to the old crossing with a couple of pictures from 3 years ago. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8021074 Let us know how it turns out.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 7:27 am 
My daughter was recently through there she said the trail was in good shape with only a few blow downs.

Living in the Anthropocene
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 10:47 am 
Thanks everyone for your replies and info. You've encouraged me to go and take a look. I will report back on what I find and any deets that will help other parties heading that way.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:04 pm 
The old trail was usable for some time afte the re-route, and saved much time but the condition degraded quickly. I've assessed it from both the lower and upper reaches and decided it's a mess and not worth it anymore. Would be interested to hear a current assessment. Especially one that contradicts mine. I curse that re-route every time. Pls do report back Downhill!

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:16 pm 
dang Damian, I was getting more optimistic until your post biggrin.gif I will definitely check it out and report back. You say that both ends are a mess, but would you recommend one over the other as a starting point for recon?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 1:34 pm 
My daughter is a wilderness ranger and was through that area 2-3 weeks ago I double checked with her again and she said Frosty Creek is in overall good condition.

Living in the Anthropocene
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:17 pm 
Thanks wildernessed. She was referring to the old Frosty trail from the Icicle or the newer trail?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:21 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
...I double checked with her again and she said Frosty Creek is in overall good condition.
I think they are debating the old abandoned section of trail that goes up the hill at the original river crossing. The river crossing has since been moved up river a few miles near Doughgob Cr where the main Icicle River trail crosses the river. I actually reconned that abandoned section a few years ago from the top and decided against it. Also, as I remember it gets very boggy and brushy down by the river.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:24 pm 
The crossing of Icicle Ck is what I would check first. Then you are more likely to encounter brush, blow-down, and devils club on the lower portion- and if you get tired and bail you head downhill vs up smile.gif. The info I posted is pretty old and maybe someone has adopted this section as it is such an "obvious" route to Frosty. Wildernessed thanks for that beta. We are actually discussing the old abandoned section of the trail that connected the Frosty Creek trail to the Icicle trail between Frosty and Spanish Camp creeks. BTW, some maps say Doughgod, some Doughgob. Which is it? (I think Doughgod is cooler.)

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:40 pm 
Damian wrote:
BTW, some maps say Doughgod, some Doughgob. Which is it? (I think Doughgod is cooler.)
I grew up hiking in this area with my dad as a kid in the late-60s and 70s. He called it Doughgod but I have also seen both spellings in use. For me it's Doughgod just because it's the name my dad used. Alright, it seems there's enough interest stirred up that a recon is warranted. It will probably be at least a week or two before I get the chance to check it out. I'll report back.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 3:33 pm 
I have often wondered about the doughgod/doughgob spelling myself. Both are seen on maps. I have heard oldtimers say it is referring to a gob of sour dough used in bread making by sheep herders. But that may just be a story also.

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm 
I went and investigated the old Frosty Creek trail yesterday. I posted a trip report of my findings.