Forum Index > Trail Talk > Azure Lk NCNP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 12:53 pm 
I'm thinking the best route here is via the Elephant Butte HR. It's a strenuous approach (I think something like 13-14k of overall elevation gain just to get to a 4000' lake) but I know the route pretty well now from going to EB last month. Everything I've heard about Stetattle Creek is that it's just an impenetrable wall of slide alder and vine maple. Is there any halfway decent route through here or am I crazy for even considering it? Anyone want to go?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 1:12 pm 
Yes, definitely EB route. I'm game if you want to go at over 50 club speed.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm 
hey i'm always up for something stoopid if the scheduling works out. what about heading over from terror basin at around 6600'? stash a bike and do a loop...

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:34 pm 
Hey neek: you read my mind here, I've wanted to do that loop for a long time. I was just up in Terror Basin looking down at it and while the couloirs that Dan skied would likely be a nightmare without snow, the rib beginning on the south shore of Azure and terminating at the 6600' saddle NW of Glee Pk looks possible. I'm pretty darn sure this has been done before. Let me know if you want to do something stoopid before the season's over...

pcg

pcg
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:38 pm 
neek wrote:
hey i'm always up for something stoopid if the scheduling works out. what about heading over from terror basin at around 6600'? stash a bike and do a loop...
This late in the year, and this being a low snow year to start with, the couloirs that descend into Azure Lake are likely melted out. I was in Terror Basin last week and the steep descent from the notch into the basin is completely snowless, making for a heinous loose and chossy scree descent. The descent to Azure Lake would be far worse IMO. It would be beyond stoopid.