Forum Index > Trail Talk > Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:42 pm 
From Associated Press Electric bikes soon to be humming along national park trails
Quote:
It’s part of a new Trump administration order — hotly opposed by many outdoors groups — that will allow e-bikes on every federal trail where a regular bike can go. ... Interior Secretary David Bernhardt signed the order without fanfare Thursday, classifying e-bikes as non-motorized bikes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 4:54 pm 
Sounds like they are only going to allow the electric bicycles where bicycles are already allowed.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:24 pm 
Have heard of ebikers getting warned on trails in Maine and other National Park run places in the east. The people who fear ebikes ought to ride them first. Just because the bikes are powered to go 20 mph does not mean everybody is going at that speed. I ride at the same speed I do on my acoustic bike. I just ride longer distances and more frequently.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:27 pm 
Oh, and the bikes make the same noise as regular bikes. It depends on the tire tread and how much loose stuff is rattling.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:28 pm 
Sounds like eBikes will now be allowed on the West Side road and the Carbon river road where bike use is already permitted. Seems appropriate to me. Hopefully jerks with hacked eBikes won't cause any troubles.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:35 pm 
I'm against hacking evokes but it shouldn't matter if there is a speed limit. Believe it or not, ebikes are good exercise. I find myself huffing and puffing up hills where I'd be off pushing my bike or not riding at all. In fact, this is bizarre. I am in Oregon, where I bought a nicer ebike this morning. I am hoping for even longer rides.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I'm against hacking evokes but it shouldn't matter if there is a speed limit
Some nut case was recently arrested (not just fined) on a bike trail in Germany for going over 70 km/h (43 mph) on an eBike hacked to remove the governor function and boost power output. How much enforcement the NPS can muster will be interesting.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 5:55 pm 
I don't mind them places like the West Side Road, but they shouldn't be allowed on real trails.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 8:22 pm 
I've already taken my e-bike up the Carbon River Rd, West Side Rd, Dosewallips Rd and many others. I will continue to do so whatever the rules. I figure I'll start obeying trail rules when dog owners do. Which will be never.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 8:40 pm 
Far less worrisome than the rental escooters starting to flood urban areas... Yes I see a few idiots going too fast on ebikes on the bike trail in downtown Redmond where there are lots of pedestrians including little kids but I also see idiots going too fast on classic road bikes there too - far more of the latter frankly (I'm always there on a bike too but I'm not a sociopath so I slow down in the crowded bits rather than weaving between toddlers and seniors).

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 11:09 pm 
So they'll be allowed where bicycles are ALREADY allowed? *Yawn* Wake me up when there's some real news to talk about.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 am 
breakdance.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 8:24 am 
There will be people getting stranded when their batteries run out, and crashing into trees because they haven't learned to control their motorized cycle, especially on descents. On real trails I mean, single track not ones like the Iron Horse.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 8:24 am 
Bedivere wrote:
So they'll be allowed where bicycles are ALREADY allowed? *Yawn* Wake me up when there's some real news to talk about.
People should take this attitude about human powered bikes on trails whether human powered legs are already allowed.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 am 
lol.gif Not really seeing a terribly spot on analogy there, but I like your optimism