Forum Index > Trip Reports > Peggy's Pond, Mount Daniel
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tris
tris

tris
tris
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 12:06 am 
Had time for a quick one-nighter so we headed to a path we had tread before but chose Peggy's Pond as our destination for a new adventure. A friendly little bird let us know that we'd meet up with a little puddle before the Pond, but if we chose to stay there we may find a little solitude and a bluff or two with some great views down into Deep Lake and the mountains beyond. We found others at the puddle but the bluffs were free and there was only a light breeze so we camped there for the night. The parking lot at Tucquala Meadows was overflowing at 7a.m. Saturday morning. But, that's pretty much the norm. There are so many grand destinations to be reached via these trails. Our trail was perfect all the way to the PCT. That little section between the turn off to Deep Lake on towards Peggy's Pond is a little rugged but not bad. For all the cars we saw at the trail head Peggy's Pond was not crazy. We only really came into contact with a few fellow adventurers. Hiked most of the way up to Daniel with clouds sitting pretty heavy up high, stopping when we knew we'd hit our safety limit. It was so beautiful up there and the clouds lifted just enough to let us see all that we had hoped to see. The breeze kept the bugs away and we headed out the next day taking the PCT North and then hugging right around Hyas taking the long way home. A lovely little adventure. Lots of pics via our link:) https://ourdirtpaths.wordpress.com/2019/08/31/oh-god-it-looks-like-daniel-peggys-pond-mt-daniel-and-around-to-hyas-august-2019/

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. ~ John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kvpair

kvpair
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 6:27 am 
Nice.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 9:40 am 
Looks like a great outing. Nice photos.
tris wrote:
The parking lot at Tucquala Meadows was overflowing at 7a.m. Saturday morning
Robin lakes has developed a reputation as the place to go when you don't get an Enchantments permit. Last timeI was up there there was 12+ parties camped in the small area between the two lakes, with rangers talking to the folks camped feet from the shore of the lower lake as I walked by.

contour5

contour5
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 5:26 pm 
Some very nice photos on that page. Daniel is a great place to test/find your limits...
Quote:
never occurred to me to sleep at that puddle.
there's an established site or 2 on the ridge between the two arms of the U=shaped tarn. Might be best not to camp on the soft vegetation...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 8:19 pm 
Maybe they should make Robins a permit area. At least that way they could afford to install toilets and get all that Sh** and toilet paper OFF THE GROUND!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 8:19 am 
I camped on the ridge above Robins friday night. About 12 tents all centered around the smaller lake. On the way down yesterday I counted 30 people coming up from Tuck and another 60 coming up from Deception Pass to Tuck. Didn't see really any trash or poop around the lakes. Just a loose dog attacking a marmot at upper Granite Pothole. I had to whole ridge to myself, it's such a big area that I didn't want to camp with the horses. Especially after the previous night at Peggy's where there were only 2 other groups and one of them decided to camp right next to me.