Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 1:43 pm 
I thought I'd seen "Indian Summer" back in the day, but it didn't seem familiar when I caught it during a free preview on HBO recently. I've seen it described as The Big Chill meets Meatballs. A group of 30 something childhood friends have a reunion at the summer camp they all attended while growing up. The camp host, Alan Arkin, is calling it a career after 40 some years and they go to celebrate and remember with him. Good mid 90s cast--Bill Paxton, Kevin Pollak, Julie Warner, Diane Lane, Elizabeth Perkins and a young Kimberly Williams (later Paisley). I found it enjoyable and entertaining. Another from around the same time, I don't think I ever saw it. "The Big Green," Disney family film. Basically a retelling of Bad News Bears only soccer instead of baseball. Stars Olivia d'Abo and Steve Guttenberg. Cliched and predictable but fun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 pm 
The two greatest ski movies of all time: Ski The Outer Limits (1969) and The Moebius Flip (1970) have materialized on Vimeo. The Outer Limits features Herman Gollner's spectacular first descent with full forward somersault into Corbet's Couloir. Nowadays punters line up to throw multiple inverted aerials, but in '69, this really was the outer limits. I saw both of these films first run at the annual ski show at Seattle Center when I was like 12 and 13 years old. Tom Leroy and Herman Gollner were like supernatural beings to me...

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 2:15 pm 
Seems like I'd read a review for "Sadie" at some point that made me interested to watch it. One of those that Netflix lets you add to your queue but will probably never actually have available (why do they do that anyway, it's so dumb). I was able to stream it thru Hoopla. Wow, that is a depressing film. The main character is a teenage girl whose father is in the military and has been in the Middle East indefinitely apparently. Her parents have been estranged for years. He might not actually want to come home. But he is her hero and she refuses to see the reality of their family's situation. She has some troubling behavior at school. She is dishonest and manipulative and possible dangerous. The story just keeps spinning further and further out of control. It's a slice of life story about a bunch of broken people. Would not recommend. I had to wash the taste out of my mouth after finishing that so streamed another movie, a fun family film called "Swallows and Amazons." A family (minus their father who is in the British Navy and stationed in the South China Sea; there appears to be a recurring theme here) is on holiday in the Lake District. Four older kids take leave of their mom, baby sister and caretakers of a cottage to sail to an island in the lake and have an adventure. They run into a rival group of intrepid young sailors, and there is something bigger going on in the background--pirates? spies? Strains credulity at the end but overall entertaining and enjoyable. Mostly actors I didn't recognize but Kelly Macdonald played the mom, she is the voice of Merida from the Disney film "Brave" and Rafe Spall has been in tons of movies and tv shows.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Aug 22, 2019 2:24 pm 
Earlier in the week I watched "Mean Dreams." One of Bill Paxton's final film appearances. It's gritty, a bit tough to watch, but well done. Paxton is a crooked sheriff's deputy and a mean, nasty son of a gun. He moves to a new town with his daughter, played by Sophie Nelisse who was fantastic in the main role in "The Book Thief" and is good here, too. Nelisse and the nearest neighbor kid (it's in the country so the houses are probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart) are immediately taken with each other. Daddy isn't having it. He's also abusive. The neighbor kid tries to protect her but he's in over his head. He gets his hands on a duffel bag filled with A LOT of drug money and the two teens go on the run, with dad in pursuit.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 7:03 pm 
"Kedi" like many documentaries has a very loose structure. It's about the thousands of homeless cats living in Istanbul. They've been there for generations. Many of the people living there take it upon themselves to care for the cats and feed them. I enjoyed it. It's a beautiful, old city, looks like it is having some growing pains as parts of it are modernized. The movie is as much about the people of the city as it is the cats. Really lovely. "Trust Me" is a small indie with a surprisingly strong cast (Clark Gregg, Allison Janney, Sam Rockwell, Amanda Peet, Felicity Huffman, William H. Macy, Molly Shannon). Gregg stars and directs. He plays a down on his luck Hollywood agent of child actors. Rockwell keeps stealing his clients just as they are getting a foothold in the industry. He thinks his luck has finally turned with a promising young actress (played by Saxon Sharbino, I don't think I've seen her anything before). Then the story takes several dark turns. The ending was weird but overall I thought this contained several strong performances and was worth watching.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
One of Bill Paxton's final film appearances. It's gritty, a bit tough to watch, but well done.....
Hmm, sounds interesting! I love his dark stuff

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 1:03 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I remember seeing previews for that when it came out, but I never saw it. Looks intense.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 8:17 pm 
I liked it a lot, give it a shot. Surreal is the best description

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
One of Bill Paxton's final film appearances. It's gritty, a bit tough to watch, but well done.....
I'd forgotten about this one - white knuckled evening with a twisty ending.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 pm 
Started streaming a movie yesterday, quit about halfway thru, then changed my mind and finished. Glad I did, it got better. Low budget indie, some of the acting wasn't very good, and some of the characters very one dimensional and not very believable. Not campy either. But some of the performances were good and it ended up being an interesting story. So apparently it's based on a book, and obviously it's an update and re-imagining of Cinderella. Called "Not Cinderella's Type." Instead of being stuck with her cruel step mom and step sisters, it's her aunt, uncle and cousins. Same basic idea though. Because it's set in modern times and all fantasy/fairy tale elements have been removed, it really highlights how bad her treatment is. About 2/3 of the way through it takes a big twist and dives into the legality of the situation and the issues of mental and emotional abuse. I didn't see that coming. You could probably do something similar with a number of classic fairy tales if you modernized them.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 31, 2019 8:26 pm 
If you havent seen the HBO documentary of "Chernobyl" I highly suggest it. Many claim its HBO's best work. Ive been in the nuclear industry for almost 30 years and the show is spot on.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:26 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
If you havent seen the HBO documentary of "Chernobyl" I highly suggest it.
Yeah, Chernobyl is fantastic, especially the second and penultimate episodes. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 01, 2019 8:00 pm 
Have to agree on that one Joe, great example on self serving bureaucracy in action.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:07 pm 
I've been curious to see "Booksmart" for a while, out on DVD now. I ended up liking it, but it took most of the movie for me to decide that. It's pretty crude, both some sexual language and I think they were trying to set a record for number of F bombs uttered. I'm not sure what the point of that was. It drags a little but overall the story of a friendship between two high school Seniors was fairly charming, played by Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein (Jonah Hill's sister, I only found that out recently). I thought some of the supporting characters, other students at the school, kind of stole several scenes. Surprisingly some big names like Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte and Lisa Kudrow had tiny parts. It was the directorial debut for Olivia Wilde. While it was enjoyable, it's message is a bit muddled. Don't be too responsible, and party your butt off while you're young? You'll still go to an Ivy League school or Stanford, even if you don't take school very seriously? Sure, that's how life works. Oh, except for the one kid who was hired by Google straight out of high school for a mid 6 figure salary.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:09 pm 
"Men In Black: International" died at the box office. I thought it was entertaining, a middle of the road popcorn flick. Not all that good, but certainly not terrible. The little alien voiced by Kumail Nanjiani totally stole the movie.