Forum Index > Trail Talk > 3 day hike with dog: loops or suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 10:06 am 
I did the spider gap- buck creek pass loop with my golden last year and it was real mellow. Mine is a rough trail dog so she does it all but, Especially having a mini Aussie, she should do great. The only crux for my dog last year was, the trail down the meadow from upper to lower Lyman lake was closed for restoration so we needed to take the boulder field and there are lots of loose gaps and wobbly boulders which my dog did not like at all. Other than that short mile detour, your pup should do great on that route

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 pm 
A loop off the Sauk; Pilots Ridge to White Pass would be a good easy 3 day.

none
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 pm 
I would definately test her out, first. My dog spends hours each week chasing mountain bikes on trail and rough fire road without issues but will limp after a day on the river. They usually wont show you they are hurting on the trail. You have to physically pick up their feet and look at their paws. Mine leaves booties alone as long as we keep moving, but as soon as we stop he starts messing with them. A strip of duct tape over/around the velcro but not tight helps.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 5:38 am 
Get her out there its better than being in a crate.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:44 am 
Took the demon dog up and out for a run. I biked. She was soooo happy. Most of the water spots are now dry in that area, but there is shade and I took a half gallon of water along. All was well. I went on an unfamiliar route where we came upon a pond. Happy dog times. Checked feet and they were fine. The last four miles were on paved road. One other thing is needed over here for dogs. They need to figure out how to negotiate cattle guards. The first time and perhaps the second time, they need some guidance or they'll fall through. The Demon's preferred method is to tiptoe on the bars. Most dogs will go around and under the fence. They learn quickly.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 am 
We ended up taking her up the Suiattle River trail to the PCT. We had it in mind to go to Image lake but only had 3 days; 15 miles on the last day would have been too much. Thanks everyone for the advice, we were in shade on soft trail most of the time with lots of water sources. She was a real trooper and lots of fun; she totally flopped at the end of each day, the longest at 10 miles. (we packed all of her poop out)
Time for Stick
Time for Stick
Heidi asleep in the dirt
Heidi asleep in the dirt

I desire medium danger williswall.com