Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Finally NYC's Big Boss has an idea worth something
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 4:47 pm 
Bill de Blasio eyes license requirement for bike riders
Quote:
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said he is considering requiring bicyclists to be licensed and registered like automobile drivers currently are. According to a report in the New York Daily News on Wednesday, the mayor also wants to expand the city’s safety regulations, which already have won it a nanny-state reputation, to include requiring Citi Bike renters to wear helmets. Mr. de Blasio called the idea of forcing cyclists to have licenses and registration a “valid discussion,” the Daily News reported, and added that he also plans a crackdown on cyclists who break traffic laws.
There are a ton of cyclists violating traffic law with impunity. If you want to be in the street with other vehicles, you should be following the laws like other vehicles. This would aid with accountability. The other thing I like is this would be a good lead in for plates, which could be a revenue source for bicycle infrastructure, and help with nailing traffic law scofflaws. I don't get to claim I already paid because part of my gas tax pays for ferries, cyclists who also drive cars should be paying more for bike infrastructure. I don't mind sharing a road with cyclists. I do mind the ones abusing the sharing, and that they're not explicitly paying for their share of the infrastructure they desire.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 5:05 pm 
When more people bike, everyone wins. Putting up barriers to biking will mean more people will die in cars and waste time stuck in traffic. It's a bad idea... and won't happen, so I'm not going to waste any more time on the matter.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 5:45 pm 
I had an interesting discussion with cab driver on the way to JFK a while back. His view was the ubiquitous (and technically illegal class 3+ eBikes / electric motorcycles) that form the backbone of the food delivery system in NYC have actually made driving a cab easier. Prior to eBikes arriving on the scene and driving very fast through red lights and the wrong way on one way street, etc, etc, pedestrians didn't even bother to look before walking out into the street, now at least pedestrians look out for eBike food delivery riders before walking into the street. I'll believe that NYC police will start enforcing a licensing requirement for bicycles when they start cracking down on the swarms of unlicensed dirt bikes and ATVs that zoom up and down avenues pulling wheelies for many blocks and running red light after red light.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 6:00 pm 
This is about as likely to happen as reanimating all the dinosaurs. Not I'm not surprised to hear a libertarian calling for more government.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 6:05 pm 
How many bike bashing threads does this forum need? I think the hundreds that exist should be enough. It is all a sham anyway, just another sneaky way to shove right wing politics onto the forum. It is the same with the Seattle bashing, we all know it is a dog whistle.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 6:13 pm 
I don't see what the issue is. There is no right to commit traffic violations, no right to escape accountability for committing traffic violations, and a continual push to establish cyclists as legitimate road users. As such, there should be mechanisms to insure accountability. Yet some argue against it. Dog whistles show what's in the claimant's head, not what is actually argued. It's how you claim someone said something they did not actually say, and better yet, in an unfalsifiable manner so you cannot be shown to be wrong. Best of all, even after I explicitly note my willingness to share the road.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 6:31 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
As such, there should be mechanisms to insure accountability. Yet some argue against it.
There already is an accountability mechanism for cyclists that ride in a reckless manner. In a contest between steel and bone, bone loses. Laws are needed and need to be enforced in proportion to the amount of damage a person's careless actions can cause others. A careless cyclists primarily endangers themselves, a carless driver endangers others. Independent of specific traffic laws, civil liability is always available for damages due to someone's careless action. I doubt this proposal will get very far once New Yorkers realize that this will negatively impact food deliveries

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 pm 
As a cyclist who regularly rides the streets of Seattle I feel like I have enough experience to announce that the biking situation here is kind of frightening on the regular. I am law-abiding, and I am alert, skilled and conscientious, and will go to inconvenient lengths to remain responsible and careful rather than be one of the scofflaws who make car drivers resent cyclists. It's simple: I just follow the rules of the road and act like a decent human being. I have been told by a couple of angry drivers at red lights that they "hate bicyclists." That's disturbing. There are drivers and cyclists who eschew the idea of law and order and courtesy and this battle is annoying and dangerous. I have no solution to offer other than to always be on the right side of things, and if that is a confusing choice to make then you ought to consider the fact that you're not the only person on the road. Strange that that must be remembered.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:14 pm 
CarriesNineFires wrote:
As a cyclist who regularly rides the streets of Seattle I feel like I have enough experience to announce that the biking situation here is kind of frightening
Agreed, I was amazed to find that cycling in Manhattan feels safer than cycling in Seattle. Yeah -- traffic in Manhattan is much much worse than in Seattle -- there is so much stuff going on that cyclists are just one more thing to not hit -- so it all goes with the flow. Seattle drivers seem to have the expectation than they have a god given right to drive 10 over, while drinking their Starbucks and yaking on the phone and anyone that forces them to steer or brake is committing a crime against humanity.

neek

neek
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:41 pm 
Hope no one is offended by this...
I bike commuted for 20 years and found it hilarious.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:14 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
A careless cyclists primarily endangers themselves,
Yes and no. I've swerved out of reaction when a careless cyclist cut out in front of me while I was driving. All is well that ends well, and I didn't hit the cyclist or anything / anyone else. If I had, I might not have been physically injured, but it would likely affect me mentally the rest of my life.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:42 am 
They will need to expand the regulations to walkers too. Jaywalking is a serious threat to peoples safety. Oh the humanity!!!

Art is an adventure.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm 
I find it disappointing that some folks dismiss the illegal or discourteous actions of some individuals and groups because their actions may have a low initial impact, or impact only a few individuals. Carry that way of thinking to its fruition and it would seem that, for some folks, nothing is off limits as long as nobody notices right away. Jaywalking isn't just crossing the street somewhere other than at an intersection or crosswalk. It involves putting others at risk by your actions too. In Spokane this is the rule: RCW 46.61.240 Crossing at other than crosswalks. (1) Every pedestrian or personal delivery device crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway. I was in an accident caused by a jaywalker last Summer. I wasn't driving but our driver had to slam on the brakes, another car hit us from behind, and the guy behind him hit a parked car when he braked and swerved. I find it hard to believe anyone would condone actual jaywalking and dismiss it as trivial.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 3:28 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Jaywalking is a serious threat to peoples safety.
Jaywalking isn't a crime in NYC, cars and trucks are expected to yield to people randomly walking in the street whether or not the walkers have a walk signal. This is less a BFD than you would think. As speeds above 10mph are the exception.