Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oregon Bike-Hike! South Sister, Smith Rawks, Monkey Face Climbers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 am 
Had some time off, so I planned to pedal down to Bend, Oregon and say hi to my sister. Left Seattle last Friday morning and hit Longview in the afternoon to finish the first leg, but the next morning in Portland, I took a look at the weather forecast and the profile of the planned next leg of the ride and realized that if I contined on to Bend, I'd spend the rest of the day climbing up to Government Camp in 80-90-degree heat. At that point, I decided to turn the bike ride into a bike-hike. Loaded my wheels into a rental, bolted back home, packed the hiking shoes and the unicycle and drove down to Bend the next day. Glad I did, because my sissie also had some days off and together we grabbed some really pretty trail miles. I had no idea that there was a mini Yosemite just a couple hundred miles south of Seattle! I also forgot how GORGEOUS the STP route can be; I haven't done it in 30 years, and it was really great to cover those miles again. Some pix...
The Yelm-Tenino bike trail, a nice break from riding in traffic--sweet!
The Yelm-Tenino bike trail, a nice break from riding in traffic--sweet!
Pulled into Longview to finish a very pretty day of riding...
Pulled into Longview to finish a very pretty day of riding...
Hooked up with my sis and we pointed our boots toward the summit of South Sister.  Weather was perfect...
Hooked up with my sis and we pointed our boots toward the summit of South Sister. Weather was perfect...
Moving quickly to gain the upper slopes and the endless, sandy staircase...
Moving quickly to gain the upper slopes and the endless, sandy staircase...
Heavy holiday traffic...
Heavy holiday traffic...
Hikers on the caldera snow, just below the true summit...
Hikers on the caldera snow, just below the true summit...
Most climbers stayed off the snow, opting for the perimeter trail, a really pretty ridge walk around the entire rim...
Most climbers stayed off the snow, opting for the perimeter trail, a really pretty ridge walk around the entire rim...
Spend the extra 30 minutes or so to do the perimeter walk...it's really worth it!
Spend the extra 30 minutes or so to do the perimeter walk...it's really worth it!
"Lemme take a selfie!"
"Lemme take a selfie!"
No ill effects after filling my hydration pack with water from the snowmelt tarn.  I totally underestimated the water requirements on this one--pack lots!
No ill effects after filling my hydration pack with water from the snowmelt tarn. I totally underestimated the water requirements on this one--pack lots!
Dressed for a suburban jog, my sister had no trouble running up the side of this one...congrats, Pooey!
Dressed for a suburban jog, my sister had no trouble running up the side of this one...congrats, Pooey!
My sister heading down Sister...
My sister heading down Sister...
Spotted a lone hiker on the beautiful, sandy deproach...
Spotted a lone hiker on the beautiful, sandy deproach...
Broken Top, and a lovely lake.  I didn't want this one to end...
Broken Top, and a lovely lake. I didn't want this one to end...
Next morning, a little sore from the summit stomp, we started the Misery Ridge route in Smith Rocks, a short but spectacular tourist-friendly route...
Next morning, a little sore from the summit stomp, we started the Misery Ridge route in Smith Rocks, a short but spectacular tourist-friendly route...
You'll lose a few hundred feet in the initial drop from the parking lot, then quickly gain a high ridge with grabber views in every direction.  Just three miles or so, but what beautiful miles they are!
You'll lose a few hundred feet in the initial drop from the parking lot, then quickly gain a high ridge with grabber views in every direction. Just three miles or so, but what beautiful miles they are!
Hikers moving up tight switches in the first mile...
Hikers moving up tight switches in the first mile...
Same, a little higher...
Same, a little higher...
We arrived at Monkey Face just in time to catch the nausea-inducing spectacle of a pair of climbers moving up a burly route...
We arrived at Monkey Face just in time to catch the nausea-inducing spectacle of a pair of climbers moving up a burly route...
I actually got close enough to ask the climbers for permission to post these shots.  The leader was amazingly relaxed, and I quickly withdrew so as not to distract him further...
I actually got close enough to ask the climbers for permission to post these shots. The leader was amazingly relaxed, and I quickly withdrew so as not to distract him further...
The pair moved quickly up the route, placing what looked like about a dozen anchors in the short face pitch...
The pair moved quickly up the route, placing what looked like about a dozen anchors in the short face pitch...
Once in the belay cave, the leader prepared to bring up his second...
Once in the belay cave, the leader prepared to bring up his second...
Hikers can be seen on the approach trail as the second, safely belayed from above, prepares to launch...
Hikers can be seen on the approach trail as the second, safely belayed from above, prepares to launch...
On the way down, a reminder of the danger...
On the way down, a reminder of the danger...
The memorable hikeout is flat as it follows the river...
The memorable hikeout is flat as it follows the river...
Sissie pioneering a new route on Mini Monkey Face...
Sissie pioneering a new route on Mini Monkey Face...
Back at the car, I loosened up with a half-mile cruise on the yoo-nee.  After that, it was veggie burgers at a quaint roadside joint, then coffee and ice cream in pretty downtown Bend.  Fantastic two days in the hills of Oregon!  :dizzy:
Back at the car, I loosened up with a half-mile cruise on the yoo-nee. After that, it was veggie burgers at a quaint roadside joint, then coffee and ice cream in pretty downtown Bend. Fantastic two days in the hills of Oregon! dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 6:55 am 
very kewl! exactly what i did down there last month, minus the bike/uni part...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message