Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Am I just getting old?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 4:08 pm 
Two things: (1) What are we talking about again? Does anybody remember? (2) I can't figure out what there is to like about a lot of new music. Not all of it, some is made with talent and creativity, but most is boring and obnoxious. Do I need to start chasing kids off my lawn?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 4:14 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Do I need to start chasing kids off my lawn?
biggrin.gif Yes, probably. There is SO MUCH music. I think I understand what you mean about not liking new music. Whoever decides what is popular, record company execs, MTV, influencers, people voting with their pocket books or clicks on the internet...I rarely agree with their taste. But if you don't like what's in the mainstream, just go digging deeper and there is plenty of good stuff in an almost endless number of different genres.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 4:23 pm 
Yes, you are getting old. Sorry, I do not remember what we were talking about. Yes, modern music sucks big time, because it's all about the money now (not the music.) Why modern music is awful Certainly there are, if one seeks them out, brilliant and creative and imaginative people making wonderful and interesting music, but you will not find it in "the mainstream".
"Young people today wouldn't know music if it bit 'em on the ass." - Frank Zappa

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 4:39 pm 
To be fair, there has always been crappy music. Some stuff from the 70s and 80s was atrocious. lol.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 5:02 pm 
You're getting old. Get off my lawn! Wait ... what? clown.gif Oh, yeah...well, a lot of these youngsters can't play an instrument and can't really sing, rely on electronic enhancements, etc etc. My baby brother (only 5 years my junior) recently wrote that one of his favorite groups is "Garbage". "You probably won't like their stuff", he said, "it's an acquired taste, like scotch", and sent me a playlist. He was right. I never liked Scotch, either. Great link, Ski! up.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 5:04 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
To be fair, there has always been crappy music. Some stuff from the 70s and 80s was atrocious.
^ No argument there. The Archies Sugar Sugar was Number One on the Billboard Top 100 for four weeks in 1969. As though that were not bad enough, Debby Boone's You Light Up My Life held the Number One slot on Billboard's Top 100 for ten weeks in 1977. By definition, Jimi Hendrix was a "one hit wonder". To be fair, it should be noted that Eduard Hanslick, who was at the time one of the leading music critics of the day, wrote that Peter Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D (Opus 35) was "music that stinks to the ear" and that "the violin was not played, but beaten black and blue." "La critique est aisée, mais l'art est difficile." - Destouches

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
My baby brother (only 5 years my junior) recently wrote that one of his favorite groups is "Garbage". "You probably won't like their stuff", he said, "it's an acquired taste, like scotch", and sent me a playlist. He was right. I never liked Scotch, either.
Wait, what were we talking about? rolleyes.gif Garbage's heyday was more than 20 years ago. Do they qualify as new music? They are really hit and miss for me, but they had several hit songs that I like quite a bit.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 5:28 pm 
Sure beats the alternative....

neek

neek
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 6:00 pm 
Ski wrote:
By definition, Jimi Hendrix was a "one hit wonder".
Oh come on. He had at least 2 hits.
RandyHiker wrote:
Sure beats the alternative....
What, dying? Not always, I'm afraid.
Anne Elk wrote:
I never liked Scotch, either.
Let's take this outside. Anyway, music is a subjective experience (unless you're a musician). Your tastes become more sophisticated as you age. I was just explaining this to the kid earlier today when he questioned my claim that food is art. Anyway to find good modern music you have to switch to jazz (where money is clearly not the objective), with an international scope. The Bad Plus, Dinosaur, Vijay Iyer, Phronesis, Esbjörn Svensson Trio, Hiromi... plus hundreds more, all cranking out new stuff (well, besides EST) and all excellent. What were we talking about again?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 6:17 pm 
I watched that video. It has some interesting points. I think just about everything he is saying about the music industry, you could also say about the movie industry. Lack of creativity, formulaic, familiarity. Just the time we live in. Everything is the fault of bean counters and execs w/ the mega entertainment corporations. I actually like the millennial whoop. But seriously, haven't there always been trends in music that get copied umpteen times, until they move on to the next trend? Anyway, this whole "music is dead or dying" thing I keep hearing, I'm not having it. The industry has gone thru MASSIVE changes. There are so many ways to get music out and to find music to listen to. There is a lot of great stuff currently, you just have to find it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:12 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
But seriously, haven't there always been trends in music that get copied umpteen times, until they move on to the next trend?
All art is imitation. Every now and then somebody comes along with something a bit different. Occasionally their work may influence an entire genre of art:
Thus far, nobody here has claimed that "music is dead or dying". There's always been (in the context of contemporary music of the 20th and 21st centuries) gifted artists who have given us music that will stand the test of time. Unfortunately, because of the bean counters, there's also always been an overabundance of pap that will ultimately be swept into the dustbin of obscurity:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:37 pm 
Ski wrote:
Thus far, nobody here has claimed that "music is dead or dying".
Well, I should know better than to read comments on you tube, but this claim gets made constantly. But yes, nobody in this thread has said it. Oh boy. The Macarena. Yeah there have been some truly awful songs that somehow become popular. Who Let the Dogs Out. Gagnam Style. Anything released by 2 Live Crew...or Vanilla Ice. Despacito has been viewed 6.5 billion times on you tube.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:09 pm 
Every song has already been written. The key is to find the artists who can re-write something and make it their own. People who say there is no good music any more must only listen to the radio. I used to love listening to the radio, but haven't for years. My playlist on my phone is infinitely more interesting than the radio and has a lot of new music on it that I think is really good and that you'll never hear on the radio.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 pm 
Supposedly it was H.L. Mencken who said something along the lines of: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public..." Whether or not Mencken actually wrote that doesn't change the fact that you have to seriously wonder how "Macarena" or God only knows how many truly awful musical compositions became huge hits here: The Captain and Tenille cover of "Muskrat Love" went to #4 on the Billboard "Hot 100" chart in 1976, and to Number One on the Billboard "Adult Contemporary" chart the same year.
Make no mistake, horrible music is not exclusive to the 1970s or 1980s or even the contemporary era. Tunes that give a person cause to consider puncturing their own eardrums have been with us all along: Patti Page's "(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?" went to Number One on the Billboard and Cashbox charts in 1953:

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm 
neek wrote:
Anyway to find good modern music you have to switch to jazz (where money is clearly not the objective), with an international scope.
We all know what jazz is, right? Four people playing different songs at the same time. lol.gif