Forum Index > Trail Talk > High country idiocy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm 
So we're up in the high country, around 7000' in the alpines lakes wilderness, near the chiwakums. Feeling great, no trail, or even hint of a foot path...when we come upon this total disgrace. Some as#h$les (and I do believe the term is called for in this case) built a structure of rocks in the wilderness ..bad enough, especially since the rules of USA "official" wilderness areas are that we are NOT to build anything there. But wait, there's more, these idiots actually cut (with a saw obviously ) live limbs off of trees to line the outside of their rock wall. Unfrikkin' believable. To cut live limbs off of hundred (or who knows how old) year old trees just to block the wind that could get through the cracks in a rock wall? The trees will never recover., Instead we shall all see the saw marks on them for hundreds of years to come, just so some idiots could get out of the wind for one or two nights? Bastards! I tell you, the wilderness suffers mightly from the abuse inflicted upon it by stupidity. It disgusts me. If you think about it even for a second: Who would even bring a saw into a wilderness area anyhow? It is either ignorance, or plain intentional misbehavior. Selfish, destructive. They left behind considerable garbage as well. Note to all nwhikers: If you don't like wind, don't camp at 7000' on a mountain pass! And just a reminder: Cutting of ALL wood, live, or dead snags, and obviouly fires, are illegal above 5000' in the alpine lakes wilderness. We did the best we could at tearing this thing down, and tossed the branches into some snags, and off the side of the mountain, and carried out the garbage. O.K., rant over. But gosh darnit, this type of behavioral really sucks, and has lasting negative impact.
once we were done with it:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:32 pm 
Pics not showing for me. ETA: I walked back the directory some and found your pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158496260@N02/48685836287/ One can follow the link above and arrow left/right through the pictures. I am not going to post them for you. ETA2: Pretty disgusting what that person did. Too bad you didn't catch them in the act and snap pics/video of them to turn into LEO.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 pm 
Thanks Xrp...I went back and fixed the photos (I think!)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 pm 
This is why you but a tent, it's a temporary structure that keeps you out of the wind. This is also why you carry on adequate bag for where you're going. Seriously, your expensive REI gear will take care of you without having to cut trees. Thanks for carrying their trash out. Too bad there want anything to identify them in it. PS - pics show up fine.

Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:36 pm 
That is sad, pathetic,disgusting. strong work …. you cleaning up as much as possible. some folks just don't get it.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 pm 
I am impressed that a wall may be built by someone without foresight, reason, intellectual ability, good judgement or a moral compass.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:14 pm 
CarriesNineFires wrote:
I am impressed that a wall may be built by someone without foresight, reason, intellectual ability, good judgement or a moral compass.
Nice and lol...but have you seen Nancy’s wall around her “fortress” in SF?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 pm 
Nice work! up.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 5:05 am 
Good work at dismantling it!! Its sad that some butt head thought he needed to do that. I unfortunately think this is only the continuation of more to come

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 5:44 am 
This sort of thing happens all over, all the time. Years ago I dismantled and hauled out several "structures" that had been built of freshly-cut alder tied together with 1/8" nylon cord, all neatly covered with plastic tarps, at the confluence of Muddy River and Clear Creek just southeast of Mt. St. Helens. The entire mess completely filled the 7-foot bed of my truck - piled up higher than the roof of the cab. One of the things there is no shortage of in the universe is stupidity.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 6:31 am 
I’ll bet these ignorant fools will be back. Probably thought their “structure” would be left for their future needs.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 7:40 am 
CarriesNineFires wrote:
So you live in a house without walls, I guess?

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 am 
What we need is more chewy TRIP REPORTS so more morons can do this type of sh##...yeah no effect whatever fro social media... just keep on posting on sensitive area's..oh and take a bag of sh## and garbage with ya & spread it around!!!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:05 am 
pula58 wrote:
That was really a lot of work. I mean maybe the picture makes it hard to judge, but this looks huge and it looks like somebody gathered every rock within a mile or two. It must have taken hours and been exhausting. Carrying appropriate great would have been so nice easier. It must have been a lot of work to dismantle.

wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 am 
I'm thinking this is some older guy(s) like the ones recently in the news that got lost. Brag about being a redneck and how many bear they've shot. Usually find those types a mile or two in, surprised they made it that far into the high country with Budweiser being so heavy and all rant.gif