Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Am I just getting old?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:41 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
My playlist on my phone is infinitely more interesting than the radio and has a lot of new music on it that I think is really good and that you'll never hear on the radio.
I assume you use a streaming app? (So as not to play out your favorite stuff.) Which one? My phone service comes with a free Tidal subscription, and I find it lacking. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to use it, but even the classical stations are full of bad choices. Get off my lawn!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:59 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
We all know what jazz is, right? Four people playing different songs at the same time. lol.gif
hockeygrin.gif I'm with ya, haven't ever been able to gain an appreciation for jazz. Or tootie toot toot horns as I sometimes call it. Smooth jazz is okay, but then it really isn't jazz at all.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:09 pm 
I admit I'm finding interesting music all the time on YouTube, but even as a classicly trained pianist I've always had a thing for certain kinds of electronic music, 'world music', etc. Lots of jazz OTOH drives me batty. It's like someone took a perfectly functional sedan and just starts crashing around through the woods with it.... It doesn't seem to have any kind of reliable direction or coherence and I can't get any kind of grip on what picture it's trying to make. Some of the strangest and most fascinating music I ever heard was off a radio an old lady was listening to outside of Nakuru Kenya. It seemed like some kind of super extended percussive African jam session and a casual western listener would have likely labeled it 'the same thing over and over again'... Except it wasn't. There were very subtle shifts going on inside on much longer phrase periods than what we're normally used to hearing. Would have loved to have sat down and just seen where it was going but I didn't have enough time!

~Mom jeans on wheels
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:16 pm 
PS obligatory YouTube is required, lol

~Mom jeans on wheels
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 11:57 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Garbage's heyday was more than 20 years ago.
Shows you what I know about "contemporary" pop music. What got that conversation going with my brother was I'd discovered an amazing compilation of live Gordon Lightfoot performances and sent him the link b/c he'd been such a fan that he went to every concert Lightfoot gave in our hometown. Then he wrote back with the Garbage link, saying "my musical tastes have evolved over the years." I guess so!! This is a guy who as a kid liked Kim Carnes, Al Stewart, The Carpenters and ... wait for it ... The Captain and Tenille. I've discovered a few things to like from what members have shared in the What music have you been listening to today? thread. Jazz? Not a huge fan but can handle it better than certain kinds of blues music, which I'm convinced you have to be drunk to fully appreciate. Don't like rap at all (is it really music?) but this new effort is pretty entertaining. Like Bill Maher said, "...a gay black cowboy rap tune ... there's no bigger tent than that!" Or maybe it's just that the video is entertaining ...

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:48 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
What got that conversation going with my brother was I'd discovered an amazing compilation of live Gordon Lightfoot performances and sent him the link
Please don't try to call Gordon Lightfoot contemporary music. winksmile.gif Yeah rap...no, I just can't do it. I've never really liked it at any point during it's evolution, but now in comparison I look back affectionately at The Beastie Boys and Run DMC. Or the light rap era of MC Hammer and Young MC. It just keeps getting worse and worse...and yet more and more popular.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:58 am 
I wasn't. I was referring to "Garbage", having thought that was contemporary until you straightened me out. Sent my bro' the Lightfoot stuff for nostalgia.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 1:07 am 
I'm not sure what to do w/ that countrified rap song. It does bring to mind something from the weirder side of country from 10-15 years ago--Big & Rich and some collaborations they did with Cowboy Troy. There really is nothing new under the sun, no matter how unusual it might seem.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 1:08 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
I wasn't. I was referring to "Garbage", having thought that was contemporary until you straightened me out. Sent my bro' the Lightfoot stuff for nostalgia.
I was being entirely facetious.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 4:43 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Don't like rap at all (is it really music?)
Keith Richards, in an interview for 'The New York Daily News' wrote:
“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there. All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/keith-richards-rap-is-for-tone-deaf-people-45619/ If rap is music, falling down the stairs is transportation. There are so many other worthwhile options available:
.... and while these particular selections are by no means "contemporary" or "new", they are certainly evidence that not all "jazz" should be dismissed out of hand:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 7:28 am 
Interesting someone mentioned The Archie’s. Takes me back to college when the homecoming committee had them as headliner for the dance at the UW in the seventies. Of course there was no such band as they were a cartoon the record was by studio musicians. A number of bands were running around the country saying they were the band and playing gigs. The committee was surprised when only a small crowd showed up. Even supposedly hip students can get duped. Surprisingly the year before the band was the Ike and Tina Turner Review (who were amazing although Ike was a dick). Next year it was Simon and Garfunkel.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 8:25 am 
neek wrote:
Anyway, music is a subjective experience
Agreed. Shouldn't that end the conversation there? Hike your own hike, dance your own dance, hum your own tune... Also, I prefer to treat music and music videos as separate topics. If you want to share MUSIC, don't post a music video. OK, gavel down. Damn I'm getting old...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:21 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Yeah rap...no, I just can't do it. I've never really liked it at any point during it's evolution, but now in comparison I look back affectionately at The Beastie Boys and Run DMC. Or the light rap era of MC Hammer and Young MC. It just keeps getting worse and worse...and yet more and more popular.
I can't do more than two DMC songs in a day. I can enjoy a few Garbage songs, a lot of older hip hop, plenty of rock, even some jazz and country. It's not that I'm locked into one specific era and that's that. I really do try to appreciate all kinds of music. As far as older hip hop, KRS One was excellent.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 am 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Agreed. Shouldn't that end the conversation there?
Not until somebody finds me wanting around without my trousers, humming the songs of my youth.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 10:49 am