Forum Index > Trip Reports > ~*Mylar Maude Daze GiRlZ tRiP 8/31-9/1*~
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 8:25 pm 
First GIRLZ TRIP OF THE YEAR!!! Well actually, Alex and I had an awesome girlz trip to Tieton for some rock climbing this past spring that was pretty eventful, complete with a van fire, and leading a stiff crack while it snowed and rained. Shiver belaying and hysterical hyena laughter was also involved. I've known Alex forever (like 14 years?) she's a good friend and my abs are always sore from laughter after hanging with her. This trip was no exception. For those wondering why we only did Maude- I already did 7FJ on a solo trip a few years ago, and we wanted a chill trip, but 7FJ was on the table if we had time, but we ended up not. Mylar Maude Daze 8/31-9/1 Sat 8/31: HAIL SULTAN! & hike into camp The two of us set out Saturday morning from Seattle (Alanis Morissette car karaoke was a thing) and made a stopover at the Sultan Bakery. "HOLY SH*T their bfast burritos are only $2.95!!" "HAIL SULTAN!" After noshing on cheap bfast burritos and sweets we got back in the car to get to the TH. We saw a woman taking her two turkeys for a walk... Gold Bar amirite? The road up to the Phelps Creek TH is fine ish, until the last few switchbacks. It is pretty effed. Thankfully, Alex appreciated me blasting Smashing Pumpkins Zero while mobbing up the rutted, and potholed silty road. There was a line of cars parked on the side of the road just before the TH parking lot, busy weekend! I was shocked to see two prius' in the parking lot. HOW?! I have a honda CRV, and def recommend something with clearance to get up that road. Actually the real move would be to invite someone else you don't know that well (or maybe don't like them that well) on a trip to the Entiat and making them drive. The sun was shining and spirits were high. "Want to leave the tent in the car and cowgirl camp open bivy???" "DOWN!" It would be the first open bivy of the season for me! The forecast said sun all weekend... Did the first few miles and crossed the trickle of a creek "crossing" before the climber's trail that heads sharply up to Leroy Basin.
ur doin great lil bee While we were making our way up the steep trail we ran into a group who was talking about a tree. "Its white pine blister rust!" A woman said, pointing to a reddish-brown branch. Apparently its a fungal infection of trees that slowly kills it (over the period of a few years). It produces a "canker" below the branch that the spores initially land on that grows over time. "SO uhhh tree herpes?? Yikes."
tree herp She seemed like she really knew her tree ailments so I asked her about this black muck I had seen on trees in the basin a few years ago, "Oh that's snow mold! It doesn't kill the whole tree, just the branches that it grows on."
black snow mold Made it to camp and set out our sleeping pads to stake out our spot. The basin was very full already! Filtered some water, which we had to walk all the way across the basin to find, the meadow was dry. Usually it is flowing with streams all over, but they're dry right now. As we were filtering, it began to sprinkle... "Our pads are gonna get wet!" Welp.
miso at camp Turned to a full rain, we scrambled to cover our pads with an emergency blanket, but it was too late, they were soaked. Guess it is fall eh? Unpredictable weather, sneak rain? The seasons are changing! We huddled under the emergency blanket for awhile while our backpacks got soaked, and we had some good laughs.
in a mylar daze A father/son backpacking duo made their way through our camp, "Oh uhm hi have you seen any other camp sites?" They asked. "Well, how big is your tent?" "Uhh its a three person." "Perfect we will make some room for you here, under the condition we can come jump in your tent if it rains again in the middle of the night, we are small so we are like 1 extra person!" They laughed. "Wait, do you really not have a tent? Like did you forget it?" "Nah it was purposeful- cowgirl camp all the way!" They looked concerned. "We're gonna go look over here, but we might come back." They disappeared for a few minutes but returned. "Ah look who came crawling back!" I laughed. "Ohhh actually we have a lead for something else, but uhhhh hope it doesn't rain on you again." "Rikki stop harassing the backpackers!" NEVAAARRR. There were two ladies camping next to us who were in their tents, they came barging out of the tent coughing suddenly. "Those lady crushers brought a bong and we didn't even bother to bring a tent?!?!" One of them came over after the rain stopped and looked really concerned, "Uhm do you know if it's bad to inhale bear spray???" Damn they're hardcore, taking bear spray rips not bong rips! A nice boy came around camp and chatted with us for a bit. He said he had plans to do Fernow, Copper, Greenwood, and Dumbell on his weekend trip and had already done 7FJ & Maude that day... I gave him a look, "OoOoOoh you're a bulger chaser aren't ya?!" Bulger chasers always deny it at first, like he did. :P If you know your number (he did), and you are bagging multiple peaks in one weekend chances are... Bulger Chaser Symptoms: Has peakbagger account that stays up to date. Knows Bulger count number. Bags multiple peaks in one area in a short period of time. Denies being a Bulger chaser. Has limited relationships with ppl other than climbers during the summer bc peakbagging is life. Finds joy in sufferfests and choss. We made dinner and hoped it wouldn't rain again. Although the sky did turn grey before it got dark... "If it rains in the middle of the night, the plan is to just go for the summit. Maude is a walk up it probs goes in the dark in the rain." "OK deal."
hmmm will it rain? Sun 9/1: Maude & back to cars It didn't rain! Woke up to blue skies. Headed out of camp after coffee, breakfast, and toilet stops. It is pretty deluxe to camp in a spot with a toilet! The trail over to the saddle is straightforward. Marked with cairns or has a faint boot path, or very obvious boot path. There is another faint trail about 100-200 ft above it that also goes and meets back up with it. Made it to the saddle and chugged a pack of hello kitty fruit snacks. "Did you just shove all of those in your mouth at once!?" "Ya gir I did."
trappers gentian and mah lady I had a summitpost photo of a route overlay of the S route of Maude, which I am curious if anyone has followed this green line exactly before??? As far as I can tell, if you tried to follow this line, it is absolutely above class 2 (which it is advertised as on SP)... not even sure it goes without getting cliffed out, but I am curious if anyone has experience following this green line? My light blue line spur off the light green line is roughly the route we took and everyone else seemed to be taking too. No snow to cross right now, just talus and scree.
the SP photo green line would go straight up the rocks in the upper left hand side of the ridge in this photo... we traversed under this ridge to get to the low point saddle seen in the right side of the photo
been peeing outside since 1993
aw lawd she comin Summited, ate some snax, and had a lil photo shoot. It's the highest Alex has ever been!!! So cool to be with her for her first 9er!
BFFLs
in joy
"Ima ima gross @ss b*tch" dirt under my nails, dirty pee rag, don't care
sweet views
summit snickeritto Hiked out to the cars, made our way past the crux of the drive, and stopped at the 59er for some food.
love fontanelle lines
filtering water on the way out
wat a shirt Great trip and even greater company!

Choss is a girl's best friend
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alden Ryno

Alden Ryno
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:08 am 
Good report (as usual)! I wonder if the 'Bulger Denial' stems from the seeming immensity of admitting such a project... Regardless, that's a helluva trip he had planned. Open-air camping is the greatest! I think I've used a tent twice or thrice on 20-30+ trips this year. Kudos to yall for braving the elements biggrin.gif

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 am 
Sounds like a great time, but wait. What is a snickeritto?

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am 
NWtrax wrote:
What is a snickeritto?
It is a snickers bar wrapped in a tortilla! Works exceptionally well when the snickers bar is already a little melty, but is delicious and calorie dense regardless.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 pm 
There’s nothing more fun than an epic adventure with your home girl! Re:Sultan Bakery’s breakfast burrito. I know some kids who go down there every morning for that burrito, and it keeps them going all day long. Fits their budget too!

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 pm 
That burrito is good beta! thanks Choss

Bsaimo

Bsaimo
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 11:42 am 
Funny, we took over the spot from the girls Sunday morning while you were out climbing. We spotted your bags and pads and the girls said you'd slept out in the rain. When we came back from 7fj you'd packed and gone.

Downhill

Downhill
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 1:08 pm 
Another super fun TR from CbC69! Thank you very much!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 3:31 pm 
~*CutebutChossy69*~ wrote:
NWtrax wrote:
What is a snickeritto?
It is a snickers bar wrapped in a tortilla! Works exceptionally well when the snickers bar is already a little melty, but is delicious and calorie dense regardless.
Thats a cowboy wrap

Canyon1

Canyon1
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 11:55 am 
Great post, but what about crossing over the big ditch/wash out? Did you cross over the lower end or the upper end (by the cairns marking the way across)? There where foot holds going in up to the Ice Lakes Pass. But going back to Leroy Basin the footholds where no longer there at the upper end. Count me in on the Snickerittos. It is a new one for me.

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess

~*CutebutChossy69*~
bluebagprincess
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 9:08 am 
Canyon1 wrote:
what about crossing over the big ditch/wash out? Did you cross over the lower end or the upper end (by the cairns marking the way across)?
Are you referring to the deep ditch on the route in between Leroy Basin and the saddle? If so, we crossed at the lower crossing marked by cairns, not too bad. Dead pan dirt wahooo. On the way back we took the higher route and that higher crossing didn't look great so we dropped a bit in elevation (we could see the cairn lower down) and took the lower crossing again.

Canyon1

Canyon1
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:58 pm 
Thanks for the reply. I should have gone the lower route coming and going. Returning back to Leroy Basin I had to go reptile to make it up and across the ditch.