Forum Index > Gear Talk > PPE (personal protective equipment) for trail work or off trail bushwacking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 1:22 pm 
I know after work all the gear comes off and when I go hiking it doesn't even cross my mind. but if you've ventured off trail and had a Devil's Club leaf brush your face you count yourself lucky as that plant seems to have thorns all over it! And maybe I've heard it's poisonous? Unset rock, shins scraped by broken twigs, Devils Club and the like got me thinking maybe I should start wearing my work PPE in the woods. I remember getting a nasty jab in my leg by a broken twig that actually stuck into my leg headed to Middle Chiwaukum in the summer, one summer. I should have worn pants and gaiters for that brushfest. Then descending Windy Mountain (rt2), Devils Club brushed my face and I was missing my safety glasses..... At work arm guards are mandatory. They have a cut resistance as do our cut resistant gloves. The drawback on the gloves is they don't have the grip as say the blue Atlas gloves. But they don't have a cut resistant rating. I've pulled out worn out arm guards out of the garbage and washed them and cut them to be worn as shin guards for mountain biking and they're really good. These are the arm guards we wear. Mapa brand. Not sure where they can be purchased but possibly a good idea for those working in brush or with rock.
arm guards
arm guards

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bk

bk
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 4:03 pm 
Shin guards became high on my list after nighttime bushwhacking down the Freezeout Ridge so-called trail (near Tiffany Mtn). Each slight bump on my shins became debilitating. (They have not yet been purchased.) The arm sleeve protectors would seem good for devil's club. The MAPA's are listed here in a pack of 12. (Either for a workgroup?...or disposable for one person?)

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm 
Devils club is not poisonous, though the thorns can cause skin irritation. If I remember right, there are actually tiny thorns covering the thorns you see, hense making skin contact more unpleasant....(Or I'm misremembering). In fact, the plant has historic medicinal properties.

When I grow up I wanna play.