Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Peak Wilderness - campfire regulations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pjhorst

pjhorst
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm 
Can someone point me to the actual reg's ? I'm not looking for opinions, just regulations/facts. All I can find is - https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbs/recarea/?recid=79419 " Prohibited: Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire or campfire, except self-contained, carry-in devices such as stoves within: ½ mile slope distance of Ice Lakes 1/4 mile slope distance of Image and Lake Byrne. 200 feet slope distance of Holden and Lyman Lake above 4,000 feet on Lime Ridge " and https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/recreation/?cid=fsbdev7_001639 " Campfires Do not build campfires where posted as prohibited. " Thanks much. PJ

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 11:37 pm 
It’s my understanding that the regulations that you just listed - are the regulations. I know they are much less restricted than in the ALW. The elevation distinction either doesn’t exist or is higher than ALW.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 am 
Yep, those are the regs. Don't build fires in the specific places where it says not to. Otherwise, no restrictions.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 5:04 am 
Better not to build a fire unless absolutely necessary in the first place.

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Better not to build a fire unless absolutely necessary in the first place.
Especially not in alpine areas where fire rings burn out organic material and last for eons.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 am 
PJ, just follow the regs and you're good. my take - Be over cautious with putting it out. - use only downed wood - choose a spot where you can remediate the ring and there is no visible impact, one of our faves is finding the right rock to flip over and using the area under it. Roll the rock a time or two so it doesn't get the scorch marks on it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am 
I recall way back in the '80s backpacking with someone who had just been through a NOLS course. Even back then, what he'd learned was: - dig down to a bed of mineral soil, carefully setting aside first the top soil crust and then anything else between that and the mineral soil bed so you can replace it as it was after you're done - only use downed wood, and in alpine environments where downed wood is precious for making new soil, only take small pieces of downed wood and make small fires, and generally only make as big a fire as you need (or better yet, use a stove in the alpine...) - yes, of course, be sure it's entirely out when you're done and then replace that soil and the top crust so it looks as much like it did before you started as possible While this may not be the "requirement" per the GPWA regs, it's sound low impact camping advice afaict

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:17 am 
Great ethics advice & opinions about fires to the guy who specifically asked for NO ethics advice or opinions. embarassedlaugh.gif ALW is heavily regulated because of the heavy use, so we’re used to seeing regs elsewhere. But as Brucester points out; what you see are the regs for GPW. You can have fires just about anywhere expect where expressly prohibited, and those areas are few. And remember: take the 10 essentials, leave word with someone about where you’re going, don’t cut live trees, don’t cut switchbacks, don’t trundle rocks, and remember that it gets darker sooner this time of year than it did earlier this summer. Don’t forget to button up your coat when it’s cold! clown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 am 
I envision a day where people stick exactly to the question as framed in the original post on web forums and other social media... rolleyes.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 am 
It's a discussion board, not Siri.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 am 
Damn, what happened to everyone’s sense of humor. Jeezus H. Christ. I miss the days when it was fun around here.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:46 am 
Umm, I offered my reply in jest as a response to you Kim. You know, humor clown.gif Maybe I'm using the wrong emoticons? wink.gif

pjhorst

pjhorst
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm 
And....with my original post I wasn't trying start with a negative tone by stiff arming people's opinions. I have camped, hiked, backpacked and at times simply lived vicariously through posting(s) here and on WTA. When I choose to have a fire, I try to be as thoughtful as possible. Thinking about the forest and folks who may be at my spot in the future. Hopefully my kids. Hopefully their kids. I generally consider myself a rule follower, so eagerly try to research, understand and comply. No camping in non-designated spots - no problem here. Blue bag it - you got it, I brought 2. Permit required - sign me up! It seems like when campfires come up, people weigh in very heavily and lean towards "it's illegal to take x wood" or "over y feet on the west side of the cascades", etc... I put my little analyst hat on and try to research to verify and ultimately, comply. So, for this post, ya, I really didn't care too much about people's opinions. Just wanted to know what the facts were and where to locate them - especially if they differed from what I can find. Most of my backpacking is in the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Mt Baker next. I've spent zero time in the APW. In speaking with other folks who read nwhikers, I know some have similar questions/confusion. Thought maybe we could put down the "fire-y" opinions and just deal in facts on this one. That's it. No big agenda. I can emoji it up if that helps - tongue.gif winksmile.gif doh.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 pm 
joker wrote:
Umm, I offered my reply in jest as a response to you Kim. You know, humor clown.gif Maybe I'm using the wrong emoticons? wink.gif
No, I don't mean you, dumbass; you're always hip and what not. up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 pm 
pjhorst wrote:
I can emoji it up if that helps - tongue.gif winksmile.gif doh.gif
hungry.gif flammable.gif