Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2 hikers missing for 5 days used a water-purifying straw to stay alive
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 am 
Not my headline: frown.gif https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/12/us/lost-hikers-found-california/index.html No wonder folks think they will die if they drink the water in the backcountry. shakehead.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 am 
Hey, maybe they stabbed an attacking cougar with it or something.

geyer

geyer
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:46 am 
I like how the author chooses to focus on the LifeStraw rather than why it took 5 days in a location that's very close to civilization (like maybe 3 miles max from Rancho Cucamonga)/why they couldn't navigate out/why they got separated from their group... shakehead.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 am 
It says they had snow and fire, so of course they needed the most uncomfortable water filter ever made.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 9:05 am 
Quote:
Hey, maybe they stabbed an attacking cougar with it or something.
LOL.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:11 pm 
Maybe water filtering straw means bong?

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 12:49 am 
To be fair, the only thing worse than dying is giardia, so at least they had their priorities straight

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 pm 
Quote:
We decided we wouldn't go back up the ice and snow, so we tried to descend through a valley."
Snow and Ice in the San Gabriels? Oh wait, the article is from April... I wonder how much Lifestraw paid them...

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:39 pm 
geyer wrote:
why they couldn't navigate out/why they got separated from their group... shakehead.gif
Because no one knows how to navigate any more. If a little electronic device doesn't tell them where they are, the vast majority of people are lost and have no idea what to do/how to find their way around. There is a thread in WH&C right now discussing navigation aids/issues and the number of people who claim to have been lost and/or not able to use a map and compass to find their way around in foul weather is pretty amazing. how did anyone get anywhere 30+ years ago?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm 
There have been a number of stranded rafters and hikers in the Grand Canyon who nearly died because they would not drink the Colorado.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 5:22 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
geyer wrote:
why they couldn't navigate out/why they got separated from their group... shakehead.gif
Because no one knows how to navigate any more. If a little electronic device doesn't tell them where they are, the vast majority of people are lost and have no idea what to do/how to find their way around.
Longtime lurker, first time poster! I've been reading this thread here because I went to the Claremont Colleges and actually went up Cucamonga Pk in snow many years ago, so it's interesting to hear about a rescue up there. Notwithstanding how dumb most of the hiking populace is, the news is also really bad at reporting about hiking. I was curious about exactly what happened to these people, and it appears that part of their group turned back while they continued on to the summit (the "separation") and then one of them slipped on icy terrain and fell down the slope. They decided to try to continue down a dry canyon off trail to avoid another fall trying to reascend the icy terrain, and then became terrain trapped between two waterfalls and had to call for a SAR helicopter rescue. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/04/14/missing-hiker-san-gabriel-mountains-cucamonga-peak-cucamonga-cayon-eric-desplinter-johnston-iowa/3458557002/ The canyon they tried to go down actually sounds like it has some rappels en route, not surprising they ended up needing SAR. http://brennen.caltech.edu/advents/uprcuc.htm?fbclid=IwAR0BjUzlFMJsWuz7qp97PsLlAnxjmHhSZs2yCO4yXr8sgnxlnCNJTn4HO2U So not to say that their decision making was perfect, but I've come across plenty of substantially more egregious SAR calls. That CNN article was terrible, though. I'm guessing the journalist just didn't understand hiking and thought their having to drink dangerous outdoor water (through a magic straw!) made better copy. confused.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 6:29 pm 
Thank you for sharing the story Bosterson. Interesting to hear what actually happened, quite different from the initial media story!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 11:03 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Longtime lurker, first time poster!
Thanks for the clarifying post. That definitely makes a lot more sense.