Forum Index > Trail Talk > Road to Phelps Creek trailhead
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Triton

Triton
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 6:56 am 
Can anyone comment on current road conditions? I think I had read earlier the road was very narrow and brushy, and rocky at the end. Has there been any improvement? Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 8:45 am 
Easily drivable in a standard vehicle , with care I don't think you'll scratch the paint. I wouldn't drive a brand new Tesla or Ferrari out there , but who would?

Hiking_Husky

Hiking_Husky
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 10:20 am 
Was up there two weeks ago, and my Ford Focus did fine up there...a Prius arrived shortly after I got there. Rough? Yes! Pick a good line to avoid bottoming out? Yes (I lightly bottomed out once)! Some light scratches? Yes (for me)! Still, it was not as bad as I had feared after reading about the horror stories of that road.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm 
Chiwawa River road is in good shape for 35-40mph. Phelps creek road has large drainage problems(gully down middle of road) and one will have to be careful if not in a high clearance SUV/truck. As has been true for the last 10 plus years.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 5:42 pm 
How about these days? Still rough in places?

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 9:13 pm 
Hiking_Husky wrote:
a Prius arrived shortly after I got there
Wait! What!???? Dang it! I missed it again! I'm feeling like I'll never see one. Some people have all the luck https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025828

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Hiking_Husky wrote:
a Prius arrived shortly after I got there
Wait! What!???? Dang it! I missed it again! I'm feeling like I'll never see one. Some people have all the luck https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025828
Perhaps one needs a trail cam....,

When I grow up I wanna play.
Canyon1

Canyon1
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:18 pm 
Just came down the Phelps Creek Trail Head Forest Service Road yesterday and noticed the seasonal summer traffic has deteriorated that portion of road with all the rocks making the rocks more exposed and pointed upward stressing the tires. I mean I could feel the pointed rocks lifting my 4x4 pick up off the road. I have heavy duty off road tires. Taking the Silverado way to far up and down on the road bed. Thinking of flipping the rig. Believe I made it down to the junction with the Chiwawa River Road in 45 minutes. I trust the Forest Service will make improvements on this road for the public due to the popularity of Spider Meadows. Time to get on the horn and petition Mike Rivera, District Ranger, Wenatchee River, Ranger District.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm 
Canyon1 wrote:
Taking the Silverado way to far up and down on the road bed. Thinking of flipping the rig. Believe I made it down to the junction with the Chiwawa River Road in 45 minutes.
Am I reading that right: It took 45 minutes to drive less than 3 miles and almost flipped your 4x4 pickup?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm 
don't do that, they're looking for rea$on$ to close roads as it is.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Canyon1

Canyon1
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 6:08 pm 
My average speed in 4x4 low was some where between 10 to 20 mph. I would gear down 5 mph when required. I try not to use my breaks but use the pick up gears to spare the breaks. As for flipping the 1/2 ton pick up; I'm just saying I have never had the chassis go that far up and down underneath me when going over the rocks. The way I see it 4x4 with all terrain tires in low gear due not overly use the breaks. Also, bring a can of fix of flat, oil and water. You may need it or you can come to the rescue of someone who needs assistance. Like I did offering assistance. Yes there are people presently going up the road in Hondas, Cadillacs and Lexuses. I do not practice abusing my vehicle and exercise caution and safety. I have been up down the road three times this year. Oh, I forgot to mention I gave a lift to two hikers last week driving a Prius who left it down on the Chiwawa River Road and decided to hitch hike rather then drive the Prius to the TH. Smart boys.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:44 am 
I made it with my minivan about a month ago. The canyons in the road were as bad as ever but the sand traps that were there two years ago are gone. There are definitely places you need to go slowly and carefully.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 am 
Canyon1 wrote:
I trust the Forest Service will make improvements on this road for the public due to the popularity of Spider Meadows.
My bet is that the Forest Service will permanently close the road at Chiwawa and add a bit of parking at the intersection. What's an extra 3 miles of walking. Once upon a time we drove quite a bit further on the Phelps Creek road until a washout pushed the end back.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am 
Perhaps a MFK style move and just close it at Fish lake.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
neek

neek
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 am 
Schroder wrote:
My bet is that the Forest Service will permanently close the road at Chiwawa and add a bit of parking at the intersection. What's an extra 3 miles of walking. Once upon a time we drove quite a bit further on the Phelps Creek road until a washout pushed the end back.
They should close the lower portion, and build a connector trail from the existing Buck Creek lot (which of course should then be expanded). Then you'd only be walking a mile (half of which, yes, would be steep). Many (most?) people are doing some sort of Phelps-Buck loop anyway and that would shave off a few boring miles.