Forum Index > Trail Talk > Scrambling-Backpacking Boots.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Canyon1

Canyon1
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 pm 
Just got back from the Leroy high mountain trail into Ice Lakes. Going to/from the pass encountered lots of scree and talus and trail dust. Seems I need new scrambling/backpacking boots (35 lb. loads). Traction is important.I am older so my balance is an issue. Also, I want a boot that is light in weight suitable for these conditions. Again, if the boot is heavy and meets my requirements I will make the purchase. Any suggestions to assist this gear head along? Money is not an issue and prefer USA made. However, will go made in Asia. Comments welcomed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 pm 
I like Scarpa SL Activ. I'm on my third pair. Lots of off trail, talus and kick stepping in snow. Not light but does the job for me. Good for strap on crampons too. Shop around and you can usually get a pair for about 200 bucks. https://runrepeat.com/scarpa-sl-activ

Canyon1

Canyon1
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 pm 
Thanks for the recommendation. I have owned a pair of Scarpas in the past and they were a great pair of boots. As I got older my left foot got longer by 1/2 size so no longer comfortable. I like them being made in Italy.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 pm 
Check out Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX. Mid height boot, very light weight, waterproof (and I think they make a more breathable version if you desire), and some of the best traction I've ever had in a boot or shoe. Great in all conditions, especially wet which is where most traction fails in my experience. I love these things and have done some 3rd and 4th class in them and they are really reliable.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 pm 
I bought the Salomon X Ultras that Aaron has after reading about them in one of his trip reports. I love how lightweight they are and like he said, they provide excellent traction, especially in wet conditions.

Canyon1

Canyon1
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm 
Wow, talk about a coincidence. When I was at the TH heading home on Sunday I had a conversation with two young men from my neck of the woods who just came up the Phelps Creek TH Road heading up to Spider Meadows and beyond. I noticed one of them had on a pair of new Salomon X Utlra High Tops. I was impressed by they way looked rugged, solid and well built. I will be heading into the big town tomorrow and will check out a pair.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:06 pm 
I find it odd when people ask for footwear advice online. There is no substitute for going to the store and trying them on. This is both because everyone's feet are different, but also because the brands' models are different and constantly changing. For what it's worth, I have had Vasques for a couple years now that are perfect for what you describe -- lightweight and comfy enough for long walks, but sturdy enough for rough terrain and a little step-kicking in snow. But that advice is not worth much, honestly. They might not fit you the same as they fit me, and I doubt the model I have still exists.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:09 pm 
Trail runners.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:16 pm 
Foist wrote:
I find it odd when people ask for footwear advice online. There is no substitute for going to the store and trying them on. This is both because everyone's feet are different, but also because the brands' models are different and constantly changing. For what it's worth, I have had Vasques for a couple years now that are perfect for what you describe -- lightweight and comfy enough for long walks, but sturdy enough for rough terrain and a little step-kicking in snow. But that advice is not worth much, honestly. They might not fit you the same as they fit me, and I doubt the model I have still exists.
This. Everyone raves about Salomons, but they don't fit me. Too narrow. I have very wide, flat forefeet and narrow heels. Up until recently, Merrells have fit me best. I have always liked their Moab trail runners for every day shoes and have had various models of their boots for hiking but they changed the last in the Moab recently and this new pair I bought just isn't the same. They feel narrower in the forefoot and looser in the heel. I bought a pair of Merrell work boots (safety toe, anti slip soles, electrical hazard rated) and they don't fit like my older hiking boots either. So, get thee to a store (or a couple of stores) and try some boots on, because what people are recommending here might not work if your foot isn't the same shape as theirs.

Canyon1

Canyon1
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 am 
I am eligible for pro discounts which means to secure deep deep discounts (30-50%) I have to purchase on line directly from the manufacturers. If I purchase from a walk in retailer my wallet is going to take a hit. So a lot of my high end quality and preferred made in the USA is done on line. Sure I can go into a store and try on pair of boots to judge the fit and walk out not purchasing and then turn around and buy them on line and get my pro-discount, but that is kind of cheesy to me and I prefer not to go this route. Also, the brick and mortar stores do not really appreciate this type of consumerism and believe me they see it when it is coming at them. Then again, I do believe in supporting local businesses and shop local mom & pop stores when it fits my mood and budget. The benefit to the pro-discounts is that I could not afford to purchase a lot of my quality gear having to pay what the general public pays. Also, I live in a small rural town so shopping at a store like REI would require time, a long drive and expense. This is why I normally do not walk in and try a pair of boots and make a purchase from a public retailer. The recommendations here are right on and are more or less are in already in my thought process.

Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostFri Sep 13, 2019 2:20 pm 
I'm female so can't comment on the mens version boot of same name, but very pleased with Lowa Renegade. its a higher above ankle boot but the women's boot is flexible enough for me. I'm on my third pair. they come in 3 widths. I've gotten them at REI don't know about availability elsewhere. they have a roomier toe box than some other brands.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 2:37 pm 
Just did the CMHR middle of the last week in my scarpa spin ultras. I find scrambling and light weigh backpacking best in trail runners with deep lugs. There’s no getting around sliding on the talus field below freezer peak and the saddle of Maude though. Poles tend to do more justice than my shoes in those situations.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 2:56 pm 
I like my Asolo 520 all leather boots, I wear them most of the time unless it's a dry, smooth, easy trail. I have had them about 4 years and they are holding up very well, although I don't hike much. I paid 220 online, they are about 300 at REI. I got lucky, they fit me very well. I try to remember to remove the insoles after every hike to allow them to dry and I just conditioned them with Obenaufs leather conditioner. I expect them to last my lifetime, with possible one re-soling.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 3:26 pm 
I use Limmer Ultralights. Sometimes Limmer Light Weights.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mikey

Mikey
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:47 am 
I like my Lowa Renegade GTX (Goretex lined) Mid Hiking Boots which I find are very comfortable for my feet. Lowa has a glove leather lined Renegade II Leather-Lined Mid Hiking Boot but I have never seen that model.