Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Am I just getting old?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 12:03 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm 
Living or machine, everything gets old..... When I was paying for my new head gasket I was thinking my car is new..... Really, it costs that much? lol.gif After a busy day at work, after the sweet commute home.... Turn the car off and sit. Recline the seat.... Then when it's time I walk out of the garage like Fred Sanford. It's not a jab at Fred, actually we know where we've been, more of homage to those who have had a hard life. And we all get old, fact of life! I'm at lunch and coworker points to my nose, a visible mark, dry skin, it won't go away. Sigh. "I don't know." Maybe nothing but in my mind a voice whispers get that checked out again. About absent mindedness, supplements! Memory? Remember? lol.gif They're also helped with my tremors.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 2:09 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
My playlist on my phone is infinitely more interesting than the radio and has a lot of new music on it that I think is really good and that you'll never hear on the radio.
I assume you use a streaming app? (So as not to play out your favorite stuff.) Which one?
No. I'm often in places where cell service is nonexistent or unreliable. I have over 5000 songs on my phone, which is not a huge number for people who like to brag about such things, but which I find to be more than sufficient. That said, I do add to it fairly regularly when I discover something new I like. Ski's Heilung selection will be added to the collection soon. When I'm sitting at home on the computer, doing something like picture editing, I have Youtube going also and explore the "related content" links to find new things. I like older music and I like newer music. I have a few different playlists depending on my mood. One has 900+ songs on it. Another has 1200+ songs on it. I can listen to these playlists a couple hours at a time a few days each week and not hear the same song twice in a week. Far more variety than any over the air radio station, and more than most streaming services. So I just queued up my "party party" playlist (1261 tunes), hit shuffle and here are the first three that came up:
. ,
Yeah, kinda all over the place but I can fast forward through a song at any time if I'm not in the mood for it and I do like a lot of variety usually. There's a fair amount of classic rock in that playlist also. I'm building some new playlists to accommodate various moods. Hey Ski - is George Benson's cover of White Rabbit really jazz? I mean, it's certainly a "jazzy" interpretation of the original, but does it qualify as jazz on it's own? As for rap - I feel the same way about it as I do about country music. There's a lot of it that is just a bunch of no-talent pandering, but there is some of it that's pretty cool too, though it's a lot more esoteric than some chowderhead chanting about bitches & money. Here's a fun hip-hop & bluegrass fusion:

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Hey Ski - is George Benson's cover of White Rabbit really jazz? I mean, it's certainly a "jazzy" interpretation of the original, but does it qualify as jazz on it's own?
By definition, yes it is. That album (and those others I posted above) all came on the scene in the early-to-mid 1970s and were (at the time) tagged "fusion jazz". One of the big movers and shakers was Creed Taylor, a producer who managed to put some of the best talent of the day together both in the studio and on stage.
Wikipedia wrote:
Taylor soon established CTI among the most successful jazz record companies of the 1970s, gaining notice for his ability to balance the artistic with the commercial. Musicians including Freddie Hubbard, Stanley Turrentine, George Benson, Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan, Nina Simone, Paul Desmond, Art Farmer, Eumir Deodato, Hubert Laws, Herbie Hancock, and Ron Carter are among the artists who recorded for CTI during the 1970s.
The "CTI Jazz" performances at the Paramount Northwest Theater in the mid-1970s were packed. If you were lucky enough to buy tickets in advance, you could listen to Stanley Clarke, Hubert Laws, Ronnie Laws, George Benson, Ron Carter, and others all on the stage at the same time - really fabulous stuff. I am forever indebted to a young girl who introduced me to Chick Corea when I was just out of high school, otherwise I'd never have heard of any of those people.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 9:53 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Two things: (1) What are we talking about again? Does anybody remember? (2) I can't figure out what there is to like about a lot of new music. Not all of it, some is made with talent and creativity, but most is boring and obnoxious. Do I need to start chasing kids off my lawn?
Yes. You are old. You just gotta look for good music. Stay out of the mainstream channels. Are you still watching Wheel of Fortune?

Art is an adventure.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
So I just queued up my "party party" playlist (1261 tunes), hit shuffle and here are the first three that came up: Shpongle
Whoa! One of my favorite bands, although I think of them as a bit Terence McKenna-oriented for most public forums.

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 1:18 pm 
Ski's got good taste. I too would use a fairly broad definition of "jazz". Technically it's a subset of blues but things get rather promiscuous when you look deeply at musical genres. What excites me is the spontaneity and freedom of it, also the high-bandwidth fusion of minds that can occur in improv when you've got two or more people completely locked into the same wavelength and engaged in musical conversation at practically the speed of light. I get the tooty-horn concern but that's often an artifact of audio reproduction. Horns can be incredibly expressive, although it takes a good deal of skill to get a good tone out of one. Anyway I gravitate more toward piano and softer tones. There's a lot of cheesy jazz out there too which I can't stand. Granted you have to be a good musician to play any style of jazz, unlike other types of music, but at least don't make it an insult to the harsh realities of the world.
Ski wrote:
I am forever indebted to a young girl who introduced me to Chick Corea when I was just out of high school, otherwise I'd never have heard of any of those people.
Funny how this works. Still happens to me sometimes. Like where have these guys been all my life? That's why conversations like this one are important. I'd rather get musical suggestions from a human than some algorithm. Right now listening to An Evening with Herbie Hancock & Chick Corea. But ftr I'm also into metal, classical, latin, bluegrass, lots of stuff. Also, rap can be good, there are some masters of spontaneous poetry out there.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 4:35 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
neek wrote:
Anyway, music is a subjective experience
Agreed. Shouldn't that end the conversation there? Hike your own hike, dance your own dance, hum your own tune... Also, I prefer to treat music and music videos as separate topics. If you want to share MUSIC, don't post a music video. OK, gavel down. Damn I'm getting old...
Good points. On further reflection, I should just keep my yapper shut if something doesn't appeal to me... ...except 2 Live Crew. Those guys were the absolute worst ever. No discernible musical talent and horrible lyrics. They never should've been a thing.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 pm 
neek wrote:
Right now listening to An Evening with Herbie Hancock
I saw Herbie Hancock last year on a whim; damn. 98% of what he played was on a hepped up synthesizer; it was mostly an unrecognizable mess to me. I kinda wanted to hear his old stuff. Truth told, I think a lot of concert goers did; when he did play a snippet of Watermelon Man, everyone went wild. But he only played his old stuff for about 4 minutes. His guest artists were young people, too. He really, really, has kept up with music. No resting on his laurels, that man. And god almighty, lookit all the old farts at a Rolling Stones, a Bob Seger or a Steve Miller show. I was 14 or 15 when I first saw Seger. I was young, fun, hip, happening. I saw him a few years ago and drank water at the show. Water! Seeing him again in a couple of weeks, and along with water, I gotta take my drugs. Prescription drugs. And Steve Winwood – Stevie Winwood, mind you – the coolest of the cool – wears an old man Cuban Guayabera shirt nowadays. But doing old stuff isn’t all about music. I did a double-take at the window display at Pendleton a few years ago. As if that wasn’t bad enough, I did a double-take at a summer dress hanging on a rack in Bartell’s, and it’s not because it was ugly. I was attracted because it looked comfy. But I didn't buy it, so perhaps I still have a few good years left in me.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 6:23 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I kinda wanted to hear his old stuff. Truth told, I think a lot of concert goers did
I'm kind of torn on this. Of course when you go to a concert, you want to hear the classics. There is probably a high degree of variability, maybe some artists just get sick of performing some songs after singing them for 20, 30, 40 years. Without fans, musicians wouldn't have a career, so you'd like to see them give the audience what they want. But musicians also have to be true to themselves and perform music they believe in. So I can see both sides of it. A couple personal examples. I saw Cowboy Junkies a couple years ago. I thought I was fairly familiar with their catalog. I wasn't. I had never heard probably about 2/3 of the songs they played, they focused on newer stuff. While they were on point w/ their performance, it wasn't one of the most enjoyable shows I attended because of the lack of familiarity with the material. Recently I saw Alison Sudol (aka A Fine Frenzy). She has a couple fairly new EPs, I think 3 previous albums. She played NONE of the old stuff. There were some songs I really wanted to hear. But all of those old songs are associated with traumatic events from her past and she said it's painful to perform them. So I can totally understand that, I wouldn't ask her to do something that hurts her. Even though I didn't know the new songs very well, it was a great show because it was the most heartfelt, emotional and open performance I've ever seen.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm kind of torn on this.
O sure, I get that. I was disappointed that Hancock only played about 4 minutes of jazz. The rest was a chaotic synthesizer. At least do halfsies. I guess my mistake was not keeping up with his new stuff. He grew with the times; I did not. Hence; I'm a music curmudgeon.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Yes. You are old. You just gotta look for good music. Stay out of the mainstream channels. Are you still watching Wheel of Fortune?
Actually I never got into watching bike racing.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 10:37 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Actually I never got into watching bike racing.
rotf.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels