Forum Index > Gear Talk > Sleeping bag weight
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 10:55 am 
Is 2lbs EXTREMELY heavy? I have an opportunity to purchase used for $20. Thermolite...

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 am 
That’s pretty hard to pass up! Is it down or a blend? Do you know what it’s rating is? More importantly, has it been washed? wink.gif My REI Magma is a little over two lbs, including the compression sack. By being a little creative I can bring it along with a silk/cotton liner, a bivy sac, a Thermarest and a lightweight tarp and ground cloth along with food and clothes plus fuel for five days at 23 lbs. I use a lightweight Catalyst backpack.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 12:17 pm 
Heh. EXTREMELY heavy is my 0 degree synthetic bag which comes in at 4 lb. As I've been looking at lighter options, my feeling is that 1-2 lb is pretty reasonable, and that price is pretty hard to beat.

veronika

veronika
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 12:42 pm 
Thanks for the input! 🤘

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm 
A 20° bag (normal length) with 950 fill (FF flicker) is 25 ounces. With a stuff sack it would be a bit more. Lower Fill bags can hit the same weight at a higher temperature rating (much lower cost).

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 3:22 pm 
A 2lb synthetic bag is likely OK in late spring through early fall, but past Mid-September in the mountains sounds shivery.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 pm 
Here is a sleeping bag guide with some useful information from Switchback Travel with some 3 season brand and model comparisons like the article states generally as the rating goes down the weight goes up.

Living in the Anthropocene
monorail

monorail
PostMon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 pm 
veronika wrote:
Thermolite...
Isn't thermolite similar to polar fleece? I think that's what a lot of those Sea-to-summit liners are made of (with the dubious claims of adding 25 degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag). I don't think it would be a good choice for a primary fill material. I have a 2 lb Mountain Hardwear synthetic bag that's great for temps down to about 30, or colder if I sleep in my puffy jacket (which is actually pretty comfy). Buying a used synthetic bag can be problematic, because it is impossible to tell how it was stored. If it was stored (long-term) in a stuff sack, or worse yet a compression sack, the insulation will have broken down and become less effective... but there is no way to determine this from looking at it.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 am 
I use a #2-ish Marmot Helium as a three season bag and I absolutely love it. 27° is the EN comfort rating and that's about where I woke up from the cold while doing experiments on the back porch.

~Mom jeans on wheels
RichP

RichP
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Here is a sleeping bag guide with some useful information from Switchback Travel with some 3 season brand and model comparisons like the article states generally as the rating goes down the weight goes up.
That Feathered Friends Hummingbird UL is looking sweet. Considering my current FF bag has lasted 20+ years and is still going strong, a good investment.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 7:35 am 
RichP wrote:
That Feathered Friends Hummingbird UL is looking sweet. Considering my current FF bag has lasted 20+ years and is still going strong, a good investment.
I had 3 Hummingbird 20 degree bags overstuffed to 10 degrees I bought in the mid 90’s that are still in active duty, fantastic bags.

Living in the Anthropocene
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 8:14 am 
I currently have 20* and 0* hoodless Enlighten Equipment convert bags for different temperature situations, and like them both. But my main traditional bag is a full featured Feathered Friends 10* Lark that my scale says weighs 31.3 oz. And whoa what a nice bag! Love it.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
I use a #2-ish Marmot Helium as a three season bag and I absolutely love it. 27° is the EN comfort rating and that's about where I woke up from the cold while doing experiments on the back porch.
That's what I have too, it's warm enough for nearly all conditions I will encounter, I got lucky, picked up a nice used one from Opus on here for 100 bucks. I also have a 1 lb synthetic bag that I might use on warm summer nights at lower elevations.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 4:44 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
up.gif The Helium is my all-time favorite FOUR-season bag for the Cascades/Sierra. I have a warmer bag but I've only used it in for Alaksa or winters in the Rockies. More precisely, the Helium is my late-fall to spring bag locally. For the Cascades, from May through mid-September I usually just take a 1/2 bag combined with a FF puffy coat.

Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Sep 30, 2019 3:56 pm 
My late-spring to early-fall sleeping kit for Cascades and Sierra. Just under 2 lbs. I will be carrying a warm jacket anyway, so there's at least a 1 lb weight saving with the half bag.