Previous :: Next Topic  
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 10:17 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman wrote:
Someone says there are twice as many hikers, then says trip reports are to blame for there being twice as many people at certain places. Ridiculous on its face.

You may be referring to my comments since I noted that there are now more than twice as many hikers. If you  indeed are referring to my comments, you  are doing a bad hatchet job of a strawman with how you have reframed what I wrote. In fact I commented that I don't know how much the traffic on this route has increased and have seen  no evidence anyone else knows this either. And I also noted that I haven't seen many TR's anywhere on this route (though  I've seen a few over time). All I noted was that of course online trip reports have an influence on where people go (and I'll add here that some places have seen far more than a doubling or tripling of traffic), as was the  case for  me in  choosing how to approach my own trips in this area. If you've never taken a  cue on where to go base on reading trip reports you may not see this from your  own personal experience and thus not quite see it as obviously but I've also  talked to many others (including to people who were parts of crowds that had suddenly appeared on  routes that were previously  quiet, who responded to my friendly  queries that they'd chosen the  route based on  having  read - you  guessed it - trip reports) and for sure it has an influence.

For the record, I'll re-state what I noted above - from what I know of Ann Nelson, I  don't think she was suckered into something over her head in doing this  route. She's done several much more technical routes quite successfully. I'll also add that I don't know anything about this unfortunate man who also died on  this route. Nothing I wrote was intended to suggest that  he was lured in over his head by social media. There were one or two suggestions along these lines  above my comments which I tried to counter with my first post. I think it's quite possible for these two things to be true: that social media is having a big impact on where people go; and that these tragedies may have little or nothing to do with  the  influence of social media.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gil

Gil

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 5:59 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I walked past Mr. Fishchuk's grave this evening. It's a good spot, very peaceful.

--------------
Friends help the miles go easier.
Klahini
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Another fatality on Iron Cap this weekend
  Happy Birthday roos2er!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: