Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Baring NW Ridge 9.4.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 12:58 pm 
I am late to the game here. I had such a fun day scrambling the standard route up Baring yesterday and found myself wondering where I've been all these years and why I haven't experienced Baring until now. And why I didn't see another soul the entire day until I was almost back to the trailhead. Anyway, there are numerous Baring NW ridge TRs so I'll just leave you with some reflections and photographic evidence. (1) The "trail" to the ridge is no joke. I'm glad I was expecting it. Worse than old Mailbox, worse than the trail above Kamikaze Falls. I laughed out loud a few times at the ridiculousness of it. It took me an hour to go less than a mile from the TH to gain the ridge (gaining 1,700'). At least even Fred Beckey himself refers to it as a "steep path."
(2) The ridge trail portion is lovely! Little ups and downs while it follows the ridgetop. I was finally above the morning lowland fog and the sunlight filtered through the trees. There was a perfect breeze.
(3) Up through another stretch of steep forest before popping out into the basin and boulder field. I could finally see the notch and where I was headed. Again, I was grateful for prior TRs warning there was still a lot of ground to cover at this point. For some reason I really liked this basin. Beautiful, a large space (I felt very small), incredibly quiet except for the pikas' cries warning of my approach.
Through the boulder field and up the couloir. Earlier in the hike I realized I had forgotten my helmet at home. I was highly annoyed with myself and decided that if I heard any rock fall or saw/heard any parties above me, I'd turn around. As I ascended the couloir I didn't hear or see any sign of person or animal save the pikas so I continued up. It ended up okay as there was no one else on route but I will definitely bring a helmet next time. So much loose rock up there.
(4) The notch at the top of the couloir is cool. I spotted a rap sling on a tree ~50' above me on the south peak (to the right). I turned left and followed trail/flagging/path of least resistance up to the summit. There was a lovely, mint-like scent in this area. Perhaps the heather? The route winds through a few small boulder fields and tree patches. Great views from the top. I was amazed to have the summit to myself for an hour, except for a large family of flying ants.
FYI: The register clasps are broken so it's not waterproof anymore. If anyone is heading up soon it needs some help either sealing closed or just a new container alltogether.
Then to retrace my steps down, down, down, down....
I had started down the final steep stretch of trail when I heard voices. Two guys were heading up and they seemed just as surprised to see me as I was to see them. After chatting for a moment and inquiring if they were planning to hike out in the dark, they [somewhat sheepishly] admitted they had a much faster descent planned ending at Barclay lake. My knees were a bit envious (but not really) and I wished them a safe and fun trip. 3 hours car to summit 50 minute summit stay 2 hr 45 minute summit to car. My gaia says 5.6 miles (seems a bit short?) and 3,766' total gain. What a fun place! I'm sure I'll be back with a few friends who don't mind a bit of suffering.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:25 pm 
Could someone help me with these peak IDs? This is looking south from the main Baring summit, across the south peak toward Rainier & clouds in the distance. The black arrows are pointing toward the most distant ridgeline: what I think might be Three Queens, Chikamin, or Lemah. Does that sound accurate? The yellow arrows are pointing to a closer ridgeline and peaks which appear to share broad, north-facing slopes. Perhaps Lennox Mtn? Thanks in advance!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 2:08 pm 
Yep, that's chair and kaleetan.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:10 pm 
Thanks for the peak ID help, iron and Tom!

Revo

Revo
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm 
The party you ran into was base jumping I assume? Hiking Baring has been on my list for a while. After the rock scramble how difficult was it to the summit? Is the lower forest section the most difficult? Thank you.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:31 pm 
Enjoyed your report and pics. Good view of Lennox in your panorama (directly beneath cloud-based Rainier) Just for fun, here is how the approach road and the forested ridge-walk looked in June of 1976.
76BaringRoad
76BaringRoad
76BaringRidge
76BaringRidge

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm 
Revo wrote:
Hiking Baring has been on my list for a while. After the rock scramble how difficult was it to the summit? Is the lower forest section the most difficult? Thank you.
I kind of think the ridiculously steep trail at the beginning is the crux of Baring. Slippery when wet! There are a few easy class 3 moves getting out of the top of the gully but then after that it's simple class 2, IIRC.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:12 pm 
Yes, the two guys were base jumping. I agree with what Jake said - the steep portion at the beginning is the crux and I would not attempt it if was wet. Once you break out of the forest off of the ridge, the boulder field/couloir is pretty straight forward. And from there (turning left at the notch) the route winds through some trees, boulder fields, and class two rock with maybe a few class three steps just below the summit. It's possible to get into more difficult terrain but if that happens, you're off route.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm 
Wow - fun to see a glimpse of that the area looked like 40+ years ago!
lopper wrote:
Enjoyed your report and pics. Good view of Lennox in your panorama (directly beneath cloud-based Rainier) Just for fun, here is how the approach road and the forested ridge-walk looked in June of 1976.
76BaringRoad
76BaringRoad
76BaringRidge
76BaringRidge

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 9:32 pm 
Nice report and pictures. Baring has been on my list for a while but I can't seem to tear myself away from White Chuck! Hahaha! Looks fun tho!