Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 am 
New for 2019 - the Subaru Ascent
8 passengers and 5000 lb towing capacity. It looks like a pretty nice replacement for my Honda Pilot.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 pm 
Slim wrote:
My CrosTrek needs a 30K service. Anybody ever taken their Subaru to this place? It's on Bothell Way. http://suburbservice.net/
I'm not familiar with that place but I've been going here for service on my Forester and have been satisfied. At least one other member here I know has his Subaru serviced here as well. https://scanwestauto.com

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Apr 23, 2018 2:30 pm 
Slim wrote:
My CrosTrek needs a 30K service. Anybody ever taken their Subaru to this place? It's on Bothell Way. http://suburbservice.net/
I took my Outback there for a service, I think the 30k or 60k service. They also had to replace a control arm boot and the arm. I was happy with the service and price. They also showed me what to watch for if the boot comes off again. Only negative was their free loaner car. It was an old Forester with 200k+ miles and drove fine but overheated on me in the 20 minute drive home. Turns out they'd just worked on it and forgot to plug the cooling fan in again. I've had my last three services at Pacific Rim Auto in Wallingford and been very happy. Fair prices, good service, nice people.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:57 am 
Slim wrote:
I haven't, but I think going with an independent mechanic who also specializes in your make of auto is a good option. Plus, looking through their website, I see they offer a free one-time oil change!

camut

camut
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 am 
Anybody here own a Subaru with dual-function X-Mode? I'd be interested in any comments you may have, especially regarding its usefulness on Forest Service roads.

Vertec

Vertec
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 2:35 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I don't get why so many hikers out on the MLH are always in such a freakin' hurry to get to and from the TH? I thought hiking and taking drives in the country were supposed to be leisurely and relaxing? rolleyes.gif Annoying.
Hiking requires hauling your own A$$. Driving is about hauling A$$:
Rally Driving is a European 'thing' so it's indisputably correct and proper. Just don't bend anything. Besides, some people have jobs they have to get back to. Or TRs to write dizzy.gif

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 pm 
Is an Impreza up to the task of getting to trailheads at the end of nasty, potholed dirt roads around here? I assume it'll do just as well in snow and ice as any other Subaru, but it's got less ground clearance than I'm used to and I don't know just how much is required around here?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:53 am 
Current Imprezzas have 5.1 inches of ground clearance. That would be fine for most trailheads. Though I ended up buying a Crosstrek, which has the identical body to the hatchback Imprezza, because it has 8.7 inches of ground clearance. That extra few inches makes most logging roads a stress free drive.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 pm 
Ive been looking at the Crosstrek Hybrid. For some reason they are of limited availability.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:35 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Current Imprezzas have 5.1 inches of ground clearance. That would be fine for most trailheads.
Maybe. But the current Imprezza clearance will bottom out on anything more than a slight pothole in my experience. Or even a minor change in steepness as where a driveway meets the road. This was my experience and I got real tired of it. I ended up selling my 2016 after less than 2 years. Kicked myself for not having thought this through the first time. Replaced it with a Forester. Quieter and adequate clearance for all but the worst roads. I would not recommend the new Impreza's for even around town due to the low clearance and noise. If you like the Impreza, and it is otherwise a pretty good car, get an Outback. A downside to both Impreza and Outback is the road noise. Which is awful. Hard to talk on a phone at 70 on I90. No exageration.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 pm 
The 2016 was prior to the current redesign. At 5.9" the ground clearance on the 2016 Impreza was even higher then the current offering. I do really, really like my Crosstrek.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Damian

Damian
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 2:49 pm 
Thanks Brian. Wow even lower! Then double emphasis on what I said. Crosstrek is a solid vehicle.

EJ

EJ
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 pm 
I had a 2015 Impreza and scraped the bottom of it a couple of times on potholed forest service roads. I replaced the Impreza last year with a Crosstrek and haven't had an issue so far (though I haven't gone on a really, really bad road yet.) I really like my Trek. It's the car I should have bought in 2015.