Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
Previous :: Next Topic  
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 6:25 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Is an Impreza up to the task of getting to trailheads at the end of nasty, potholed dirt roads around here?  I assume it'll do just as well in snow and ice as any other Subaru, but it's got less ground clearance than I'm used to and I don't know just how much is required around here?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis

Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 am 
Current Imprezzas have 5.1 inches of ground clearance. That would be fine for most trailheads. Though I ended up buying a Crosstrek, which has the identical body to the hatchback Imprezza, because it has 8.7 inches of ground clearance. That extra few inches makes most logging roads a stress free drive.

--------------
that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 pm 
Ive been looking at the Crosstrek Hybrid.  For some reason they are of limited availability.

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Damian

Damian

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:35 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Current Imprezzas have 5.1 inches of ground clearance. That would be fine for most trailheads.

Maybe.  But the current Imprezza clearance will bottom out on anything more than a slight pothole in my experience.  Or even a minor change in steepness as where a driveway meets the road.  This was my experience and I got real tired of it.  I ended up selling my 2016 after less than 2 years.  Kicked myself for not having thought this through the first time.  Replaced it with a Forester.   Quieter and adequate clearance for all but the worst roads.

I would not recommend the new Impreza's for even around town due to the low clearance and noise.  If you like the Impreza, and it is otherwise a pretty good car, get an Outback.  A downside to both Impreza and Outback is the road noise.  Which is awful.  Hard to talk on a phone at 70 on I90.  No exageration.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis

Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 pm 
The 2016 was prior to the current redesign. At 5.9" the ground clearance on the 2016 Impreza was even higher then the current offering.

I do really, really like my Crosstrek.

--------------
that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Damian

Damian

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 pm 
Thanks Brian.  Wow even lower!   Then double emphasis on what I said.  Crosstrek is a solid vehicle.
EJ

EJ

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 pm 
I had a 2015 Impreza and scraped the bottom of it a couple of times on potholed forest service roads. I replaced the Impreza last year with a Crosstrek and haven't had an issue so far (though I haven't gone on a really, really bad road yet.) I really like my Trek. It's the car I should have bought in 2015.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
  Happy Birthday LeafEater!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: