Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I've been thinking I'd rent an ebike and leave it overnight at a trailhead at the end of a closed road. But I wouldn't leave any kind of bike unlocked and unattended almost anywhere.
I usually just stash it in the woods and lock it to a tree. Never had a problem.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Sep 06, 2019 3:37 pm 
A New Zealand company announced an eBike that can do 50 mph. It weighs 120 pounds, and there's no price listed so it won't be cheap. https://electrek.co/2019/09/06/ubco-frx1-electric-trail-bike-50-mph/amp/

uww

uww
PostFri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 pm 
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 12:01 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
A New Zealand company announced an eBike that can do 50 mph
So at what point does the equipment become just an electric motorcycle, or scooter, with pedals?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 12:40 pm 
Generally 750 watts and maximum speed of 20-28 mph in the US. Beyond that yes you're just buying an electric motorcycle from a legal perspective.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 12:47 pm 
I get emails periodically on the latest products put up on indiegogo. Here's a new electric bike they're hawking: FUELL Fluid Not surprisingly, one of the principles was involved in motorcycle engineering & design. Would be kinda hard to lay down that amt of $$ when you can't inspect & test ride.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 1:39 pm 
I realize the guy is notobale for motorcycles but that's one ugly looking bike IMO. I would also suspect top heavy with a second battery up high. 70 pounds? With just one battery? No thanks! This caught my eye though... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/uncharted-rapid-raft-world-s-lightest-pack-raft#/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 11:06 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
A New Zealand company announced an eBike that can do 50 mph
So at what point does the equipment become just an electric motorcycle, or scooter, with pedals?
Good question. To be fair, people get human powered bikes moving faster than that. The speed record on a non motorized bike is 183 mph, although that's not "real world" because she was drafting a car. I've done close to 50 mph on a non motorized bike, coming down from Barlow Pass.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 12:07 am 
Tom wrote:
I realize the guy is notobale for motorcycles but that's one ugly looking bike IMO. I would also suspect top heavy with a second battery up high. 70 pounds? With just one battery? No thanks! This caught my eye though... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/uncharted-rapid-raft-world-s-lightest-pack-raft#/
Uh, Thomas. That link is about rafts. doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 1:30 pm 
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm 
Frey bikes have been popular for some time. What they don't tell you in that article is you'll pay a 25% tariff and another $750 for shipping so a $3K bike will cost closer to $4.5K. Buying a bike from China can also be quite frustrating due to the language barrier and there are scammers that insert themselves as the seller taking payment. The Frey bikes with the ultra motor are heavy, not real mountain bikes. I looked at their lighter M600 offering but after adding it up I figured I might as well invest a X1 from Lunacycle for less money.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:35 pm 
"Discover a New Superpower with an E-Bike" Since when is less effort a superpower? REI add sent to my phone. Includes this little blurb: "Powerful motors, extended battery lives and all the fixings of a full-suspension mountain bike mean nothing’s out of reach now. Just check local trail regulations first." Nothing is out of reach, nothing. And we know how much people pay attention to regulations...anyone ever see any off leash dogs?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 10:55 pm 
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 10:06 am 
"Amid a growing debate over where e-bikes should and shouldn’t be permitted to ride, stealth matters." Why would stealth matter if riding legally?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 1:46 am 
Enough with the sanctimonius nonsense please. I am guessing you break rules or speed limits or whatever whenever you feel justified. And the constant use of weasely rhetorical questions is annoying. Or as you would say, aren't they annoying? Yes, they are. And what's with your "superpower" complaint? You appear to think having more power means having less, or something. If there is nothing to complain about, invent something.