Forum Index > Photography Talk > Camera Sales are Falling Sharply
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 5:27 pm 
I also used a few exposures for this one though you wouldn't notice the difference from using the father exposure alone along with shadow recover except in a big print
Little Colorado Sunrise (portrait)2 (1 of 1)
Little Colorado Sunrise (portrait)2 (1 of 1)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:17 pm 
Movement is something I haven't tested much since most of my photography is static landscapes. Running water might be the exception but again I haven't had a chance to test this. I've mostly been enamored by how well it does in high contrast scenes. I actually think many folks would be better off opting for a capable cell phone than a DSLR in high contrast scenes where dynamic range is important as counter intuitive as that might seem. It all depends on how skilled they are at post processing. I would agree a cell phone can't replace a DSLR.

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:33 pm 
But aren't technical qualities only part of the picture? What about the practical features of cameras that are especially important for hiking? My smartphone's camera has terrible ergonomics - accessing the "pro" (ie, manual) features is fiddly and not intuitive, and hard to do quickly one one handed. My current P&S camera has an on/off button, and I miss the switch on my old camera which was easier to operate without looking or with gloves. Phone cameras have impressive processing power, but without dials and switches they're such a pain in the ass to operate if you need to manually adjust, and you should just give up if it's raining, you're wearing gloves, etc. I'm very disappointed that manufacturers seem to have gotten so sidetracked onto increasing megapixels (still? that was so 2005), adding "fancy" metal cladding, and consequently raising the price of point and shoot cameras that it's hard to find a cheap P&S with a long wide zoom and hiking compatible dials, let alone one for less than $$$. If you want a larger than tiny sensor, you're basically looking at mirrorless, or else give up some zoom and pay up the wahzoo for an RX100 Mk whatever. The best camera is the one that gets out of your way, and I've never felt like phones did that except for the most basic snapshots - though I'm on Android, so maybe the iPhones fare better in this regard.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:39 pm 
For me, yes. See my comments above about viewfinder and some other comments by another poster about wet touch screens. I especially like the knobs and buttons on my Nikon

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm 
For cell phones I would say it's not an issue. You are not going to have a whole lot of control other than choosing fake bokeh or not. When it nails the exposure every time it's not as if you need to go in and adjust the exposure compensation or anything. 99% of my shots are pretty much point and shoot in the camera does what it should. I don't have issues with hand shake in most shots but that's probably because everything is wide angle. As far as touch screen issues I'm sure there are similar shortcuts on other phones but on the Pixel 3 you just double-click the power button to immediately pull up the camera even if the screen is locked, then you can click on the volume up or down to take a photo. I haven't tried it but I would think it's very easy to take pictures with gloves or even if the screen is wet.

Gil

Gil
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 pm 
fairweather friend wrote:
1) Deals on Craigslist? Surely, you jest! Most of the cameras on CL are being sold by junk collectors with dollar signs in their eyes. They don't know what they're selling or what it's worth and they don't care. They are only seeking to find a bigger fool than themselves and they don't care how long it takes to find one.
Huh? I've found all sorts of deals on Craigslist. I've bought numerous lenses off CL (and ebay) over the years. Sometimes I keep them. Sometimes I use them for awhile then sell them for more than I bought them for. But I focus on Nikon gear, where my expertise lies.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 pm 
Tom wrote:
cell phones I would say it's not an issue. You are not going to have a whole lot of control
Right, quite generally. You mentioned water. I know you were in the topic of merging multiple exposures (which yes can lead to very funky artifacts with moving water whether hdr or focus stacking) but i have found I so just want to be able to control the shutter speed to match the water action I want in the end image. Just one of so many examples where the control on my real cameras is simple and effective versus just utterly not there on the phone. But you're right. There are many cases including shootig into the sun where a phone will likely give the majority more of what they want That said I often dial exposure down or select focus point on my phone shots while shooting and if the screen is wet fugghetaboutit

Gil

Gil
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 6:02 am 
As phone cameras have gotten better, our journalists have turned more and more to them. With one device, they can shoot stills, short video and audio and Slack them into the station. The results are often quite good -- fine for website use and social. More than half our digital audience is on mobile these days. The right tool for the job. Here's a shot from one of my reporters: https://www.kuow.org/stories/seattle-s-oldest-homeless-camp-is-on-the-move-again-to-tukwila

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 pm 
Interesting comments folks. I think you have it right, phones are displacing all except the stuff prosumers want to do, and which phones cannot do well, or at all. Stuff like prime focus astrophotography, or thing where you need a lot of zoom in the glass instead of the digital pseudo-zoom. Got a great shot of a coyote at several hundred yards with my P900 on Saturday near Durkee, OR, and it was only halfway into it's all glass, and therefore real, 83x zoom range. Those huge lenses you used to see at sporting events were only 600mm, this thing has the 35mm equivalent of 28-2000mm. The only remaining reason to use the old school super lenses, is to get lower F stops from the large aperture. Phones can't do this stuff, but then, most of their users don't care. Stalemate for the phone vs real camera wars.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
BaNosser

BaNosser
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:59 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Those huge lenses you used to see at sporting events were only 600mm, this thing has the 35mm equivalent of 28-2000mm. The only remaining reason to use the old school super lenses, is to get lower F stops from the large aperture.
Try taking that P900 to a football game under the lights and see what you get.. esp with a max iso of 6400 and a 1/2.3" sensor... or nearly any low light situation that's not static... Those huge 600mm primes that you still see at football games are there for a reason... tho I get the exact same reach with my 300mm F4 on my m4/3 Oly EM1ii... handheld. Tho I usually shoot fb games with my 50-150 F2.8.. which gives me 100-300mm equiv which I find plenty for all but the shots across and down field and it's very versatile... Are my results with this rig the same as theirs.. nope.. but they are really pretty good.. considering I leave my tri(mono) pod at home... and am not worried about a forecasted downpour destroying an $11k lens..

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:09 pm 
Hence my noting that if you need the F stops, you need the monster lens. Nice action shots!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm 
My RX10 IV has a 600 mm equivalent F4 lens at telephoto. That said it's not all about F stops because you might need to shoot at higher ISO for faster shutter speeds. That's where the limitation comes into play as well with smaller sensors.

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm 
Thank you.. and I didn't mean to come off sounding disrespectful MtnGoat.. my apologies if I did The bottom line is use what you have.. get to know it and how best to use it and enjoy the moments in time you capture...

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:33 pm 
And Tom.. your photos from your Joe Lake TR are really very impressive.. that Pixel 3 is pretty amazing..

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm 
Yeah, the only thing better than his shots would be being there. Always wanted to hit Joe. Sounds like over the top is the way, I've heard horror stories about the low route in.