Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tieton Pk, Bear Cr Mtn 9/14/19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 pm 
Tieton Pk 7768' Bear Cr Mtn 7337" Last Saturday, I went chasing the weather forecast and found myself in the Goat Rocks. There were a couple other ideas on the way but the cloudy drive forced me further South and East. I made it to the TH around 10am. The last half mile is high clearance only. The Bear Creek Mtn trail is in great shape as it took about an hour to get to the summit with partial sunny skies! I was very happy to see at least decent weather because the forecast for most of the cascades was not good. From there, I could see the long, off trail ridge I'd take to get over to Tieton Pk.
Gilbert and Tieton
Gilbert and Tieton
Rainier
Rainier
I headed down along the ridge to Tieton and it was mostly pleasant with times going on opposite sides of the ridge to find better terrain. Devils Horns were in the way on the ridge and I decided to bypass it by staying and traversing along the East side losing some elevation along the way. I aimed back up to the saddle and hiked the ridge going the easiest ways I could find.
Tieton and Devils Horn
Tieton and Devils Horn
I reached the summit to some pretty good views over to the glaciers and peaks of the Goat Rocks. Clouds were going in and out and the wind was picking up, so I didn't stay too long on the summit.
Adams and Gilbert
Adams and Gilbert
a big scree basin
a big scree basin
Conrad basin
Conrad basin
On the way back, I dropped a little lower down on the traverse back across Devils Horn and found a nice game trail. There was still some loose and nasty rock to get back up to the next saddle but what else could I expect for a mountain trip. I remembered looking at Tieton from Gilbert several years ago and it went on my "someday climb list" It was a nice view point to the taller Pks to the South along with a couple volcano views. 13.5 miles 4800' elevation gain 5.5 hrs

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 7:57 pm 
Eric, you move so efficiently in the mountains. No, make that just plain quick!
raising3hikers wrote:
some loose and nasty rock to get back up to the next saddle but what else could I expect for a mountain trip.
Especially for old eroded volcanoes ( remember Mt. Custer? Goat Rocks volcano is younger but much bigger).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Abert

Abert
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am 
I was across the valley last Thursday, so here's a different view of your walk.
064 (2)
064 (2)
I went up to Bear Creek Mountain from the Tieton South Fork side the day before. The 776 spur road is in decent shape and gets you to above 4800' where you can connect with the flagged Bear Mountain Trail (with sawn logs) through the initial burn area.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am 
Why no Devil's Horn? Technical appearing? I've been interested in the traverse at least that far. Not sure I can RT all the way out to Tieton in a day. Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:52 pm 
John Morrow wrote:
Why no Devil's Horn? Technical appearing?
Yeah, I didn't try for Devils Horn because I didn't bring a rope with me. Probably would have at least needed it for a rappel. Think it's a low 5th climb and it really is a nice looking Pk, kinda wished I had brought a rope for it

Eric Eames
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 pm 
Sweeet!! I also peered down on Tieton from Gilbert and it's been on my ever growing list since! Thanks for the nice beta along your jaunt! Keep on gettin em!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 11:33 am 
Whatcha doing in my neck of the woods!!!! Nobody comes down here!!! smile.gif

Art is an adventure.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm 
👍🏻 Strong work we were back down there this year for two trips Section Three Lake TH to just below Devils Horns and Conrad Meadows > Surprise > Tieton > Devils Washbasin > Cold spectacular weather, scenery, and solitude.

Living in the Anthropocene