Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle's Maximum Occupancy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 11:40 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Sultan is allowing 600 houses to be built in the next year. That's almost a third of the current 1,600 they have now.
Where do they plan to put them? As it is, whenever we have a really rainy stretch in winter, half of Sultan is under water. Not that "100 year" flood zones has ever stopped Snohomish County from issuing building permits. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Sep 14, 2019 9:52 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
six hours a day commuting in LA or Boston traffic
Drive times came up in class today. We know of a bunch of coworkers who spend 4-6+ HOURS a day getting to SEATTLE from various places. They're from Chehalis, Olympia, South Tacoma and even Puyallup to and from Northgate. My sister commutes from central Connecticut to Manhattan... Car, train, subway, bus... Yeah we have it good, it's more of how things have changed and how they are progressing that's kinda scary. Other big cities are a couple years older than Seattle, so then there's that to consider...

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 5:21 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Where do they plan to put them?
I think they are putting a development behind the McDonald's at the rice road roundabout, well above the flood plain on a small plateau. Most of the rest are also north of highway 2 above town. None that I heard of south of town. Gold bar is also adding a small amount. Maybe 50 or so? There has been practically no new home additions to gold bar or sultan in the last dozen years. Different rant would be Google, Waze, word of mouth, etc... sending people through residential areas to save a few minutes of sitting in traffic. Sunday evening has people doing 45+ on a road marked "not a highway 2 bypass, local access only." Other then when you throw weekend or pow day traffic into the mix, commuting is usually pretty smooth. King county needs to get moving on that tolt highway 520 mass extension. Carnation to skykomish. I did find out that gold bar sold the property for the proposed school to some locals. My secret rviver hike is now the private property of the judge at skyland ranch, and owners outdoor adventures in index. So at least it seems safe from any real development. I think they plane on making it into a campground and horse trails. Kinda neat really.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 7:10 am 
Brucester wrote:
They're from Chehalis, Olympia, South Tacoma and even Puyallup to and from Northgate.
When I was a student at TESC in Olympia in the '70s, one of my colleagues commuted from the U District. People have been doing long commutes for a while. My favorite was a co-worker at Boeing in the early '80s who after working on the 767 fatigue test in Everett for over a year bought a house in Everett, six months later, he was offered a promotion to a position in Auburn. At least now someone making an Everett -> Auburn shuffle can ride the Sounder train. Not an option in the '80s There are people that live in Montauk on Long Island that commute into Manhattan -- it's 4+ hours EACH WAY on the train.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 7:19 am 
In the 70's until the early 90's I commuted from Snohomish to Federal Way and Kent in about an hour. Then I started commuting to Vancouver B.C. for several years. Unimaginable now. Over here on Whidbey they're starting work on 600 new homes in Oak Harbor.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 8:03 am 
I've lived in the same house in Lynnwood, and worked at the same place in Seattle, for over 20 years. My daily commute takes the exact same amount of time now as it did 20 years ago. 35 to 45 minutes to go the 16 miles. I use a combination of city streets and hiway 99 on weekdays except Fridays, and I5 on Fridays and weekends, just like I have for 20 years. Nothing has changed at all, not by so much as a minute. And my commute is very inconvenient, Interbay is not easily accessible by any north south hiway. My biggest commute problem is the same as well: the Ballard Bridge. The only real changes I have seen are the lowering of the speed limit south of the Ballard bridge from 40 to 30, and the addition of speed bumps on 3rd ave w near Carkeek park. Neither causes any measurable delay.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 12:33 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Over here on Whidbey they're starting work on 600 new homes in Oak Harbor.
Bet that's to accommodate the expected demand with the expansion of the Growler ops at the Naval Air station.
Slugman wrote:
The only real changes I have seen are the lowering of the speed limit south of the Ballard bridge from 40 to 30
Unless the SPD puts up regular speed traps, I doubt that will have any effect. Everyone does 45 or more between the bridge and the first light south.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 am 
Anne, this section of road is the most radar patrolled in the entire state. Dozens of tickets are given out in a typical one-hour period of an average day. It has been reported numerous times recently on local TV news and in the various newspapers. I see it first hand, as police cars and motorcycles race to nail driver after driver, then rotate back into position at the Uhaul or a parking lot just to the north. Sometimes there are three motorcycles taking turns, none of them have to wait for more than a minute before racing off again. I have counted as many as 20 tickets in less than 15 minutes. But I do agree that it has made little difference in the speed, I drive 35 and other drivers consider me to be an impediment that should be run off the road.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 pm 

Anne Elk
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 12:26 pm 
Now that is a hilarious idea, nice one Tom! up.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:25 pm 
Slugman wrote:
this section of road is the most radar patrolled in the entire state.
Really? I wonder when the SPD started that. I'm generally never on it at commute time, and take that route for one-off errands to the local businesses, but every time I've ever been on it, I've never seen cops, and my experience is usually the same as yours - I'm doing 35 and no one else seems to be doing less than 45-50. If the SPD needs more Ballard revenue, another good place for a speed trap would be on the "big hill" that Market St becomes before it crests over Phinney Ridge. But if they speed trapped that route, there'd be backups halfway to the Ballard Locks. No one can say Ballard hasn't absorbed its share of density. waah.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 1:27 pm 
Big picture time. Planning for growth starts with the Puget Sound Regional Council (PSRC). That body adopts long range policies which then steer the next major updates (due in 2024) to county/city comprehensive plans. The PSRC has produced a draft set of policies for Vision 2050. https://www.psrc.org/vision The comment period closed yesterday so today I requested copies of any comments filed by the Master Builders Assc. For all you policy wonks out there I have posted copies of those comments. Note that the first link below is a cover letter followed by recommended tweaks. https://mappingsuppor.com/growth_management/PSRC_Vision_2050/Master_Builders_Association_of_King_and_Snohomish_Counties_VISION_2050_Draft.pdf https://mappingsupport.com/growth_management/PSRC_Vision_2050/Master_Builders_Association_of_Pierce_County_VISION_2050_Draft.pdf Interestingly, the PSRC is driving its stake in the ground for the planner's position that there is ample land within the Urban Growth Area (UGA) to support the planned growth *prior* to release of the buildable lands study which will address that very question.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 1:47 pm 
Joey wrote:
the PSRC is driving its stake in the ground for the planner's position that there is ample land within the Urban Growth Area (UGA) to support the planned growth *prior* to release of the buildable lands study which will address that very question.
Reality doesn't seem to matter when "someone" is pushing for the opposite (I won't speculate on that here). Just as an example, in one of his columns early this year or last, Danny Westneat of the Seattle Times pointed out that there was plenty of land for increased density now, without the Seattle city council having to rezone anything. Didn't matter. They went ahead and did it anyway. But thank you for posting this info. If I can find the Westneat article, I'll update this post with the link for reference.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 3:02 pm 
https://www.theurbanist.org/2022/06/30/outpacing-suburbs-seattle-grows-20100-in-one-year/ So everyone didn’t move to Republic after all.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 4:13 pm 
We are up to 762,500. That made me wince. If you live in Seattle, the city wants comments on the comprehensive plan they are putting together. This is a big deal. This will potentially be it for single family zoning (such as it is anymore, with 3 units allowed on single family lots). https://engage.oneseattleplan.com/en/