Forum Index > Trip Reports > Old Frosty Creek Trail (pre-2000 Icicle to Frosty Pass) - It goes!!! (sorta) 9-11-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:11 am 
well I have been to the fore mentioned lakes and with the exception of Lower Grace you would be wasting time if its fish you seek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 am 
I came down the Pomas trail from the pass a couple years ago. Followed it to a nice camp by the Ice creek crossing. Don't remember much detail but my hiking partner probably does. The whole area from the Entiat river crossing to above the ice creek/pomas creek junction was a mess of downed trees. The ice creek portion had a nicely ribboned route through the downfall. The trail coming down from the pass was followable but I don't think it had been maintained in a long while. We approached Pomas pass from Larch lakes trail which was pretty brushy at the time.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:07 am 
dave allyn wrote:
I came down the Pomas trail from the pass a couple years ago. Followed it to a nice camp by the Ice creek crossing. Don't remember much detail but my hiking partner probably does. The whole area from the Entiat river crossing to above the ice creek/pomas creek junction was a mess of downed trees. The ice creek portion had a nicely ribboned route through the downfall. The trail coming down from the pass was followable but I don't think it had been maintained in a long while. We approached Pomas pass from Larch lakes trail which was pretty brushy at the time.
Besides the hike up to Ice Creek we spent several hours brush bashing around Snowbrushy Meadows and along the Entiat river at the mouth of Ice creek looking for Gordon Stuart’s old trapper cabins. Then we had a problematic Entiat river crossing on a logjam with thick brush on both sides at the mouth of Ice Creek before ever looking for the Pomas trail. So maybe our heart wasn’t totally in it that late in the day. But it looked to us like the Pomas trail junction has been obliterated. There are several thick stretches of slide created downfall up the Ice Cr trail near the standard Entiat river crossing. But if you take the secret short cut boot path we found at the mouth of Ice Cr you avoid all that and cut a couple mikes off the hike to the lakes. But that shortcut does require a river ford.

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm 
timberghost wrote:
well I have been to the fore mentioned lakes and with the exception of Lower Grace you would be wasting time if its fish you seek.
Thanks for the info imberghost. I see both Lower Grace and Knox listed on the WDFW's as "overabundant" for fishing. My primary motivation isn't always fishing, but I DO like to fish biggrin.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 2:00 pm 
BTW, A couple of days ago I PM'ed Downhill asking him if he wanted me to end this thread drift about Pomas Pass. He graciously said "nah, I don't mind". But any more questions on my topic can be PM'ed to me or if there is more interest I can start a new thread. His original post is very well taken and provides good beta so I don't want to detract from it.

Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 2:24 pm 
Thank HTT, but I don't really mind. However, if Pomas Pass has this much interest, it probably deserves its own thread, making it easier for those interested to find/follow.