Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking on 8 mile road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:27 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
And there you go, the non mandatory shuttle solution for shuttlephiles.
Public shuttle wouldn't be mandatory, you just kind of made that up. No one's seriously suggesting closing the existing parking area, and even if they did, you could still get a private ride, or bike. Just like Mailbox - shuttle is there for people who want it, with the side effect of parking relief. Take a closer look at the existing private shuttles - expensive, very limited times of operation, and you have to plan in advance. Also they clearly have no clue how things work since they say "to hike and stay overnight you must first contact the Washington Trail Association." To be clear, I have no idea if a public shuttle is feasible. Just seems like an option worth considering. Presumably it would just be a summer weekend thing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:48 am 
I made nothing up, a poster was advocating for it.
Kim Brown wrote:
Yes, shuttles are available if people want them. The idea is that the USFS make shuttling to certain trailheads/roads mandatory; this would require federal funding, and as a result - public input.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:56 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I made nothing up, a poster was advocating for it.
I don't see Kim saying anywhere the upper trailhead should be closed. You are making it sound like public shuttle vs. parking is an either/or thing. Doesn't have to be.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:58 am 
Well places like the South Rim at the Grand Canyon and the upper Virgin River Valley at Zion have gone to this, and people who experienced the period right before in each case as well as the after seem to mostly agree that it's a good chance in those cases. I haven't been out 8 mile ever, so don't know if it's reached a similar point or not. But sometimes reality trumps ideology...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I can appreciate some down-sides: no more starting out on the trail at the crack of dark, and everybody showing up at the TH in periodic large groups. Hey! Let's all hike together! What fun! huh.gif
That sounds terrible, like the Chelan Lakeshore and Summit trails. And almost anything in Zion. Or we could erect giant parking towers to improve the scenery. Beautiful concrete boxes. Or, flat ones like at Costco where you can't see the building from the edge because of the curvature of the earth.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:41 pm 
Limited number of reservable parking spaces. Anyone who whats to show up on the fly (or didn't get a reservation) has to take a shuttle that costs $. Something like this should get implemented at MRNP (where the gate backup can extend 3-5 miles and hours on a busy weekend). 1500 reservable car spots and a shuttle every x minutes like in Zion. All paid by entrance fees. Obviously much more difficult to implement at a place like Eighmile Road, though aggressive towing could do the trick. Most Americans can't stand the idea of having to take public transport so even without a cap or quota it would probably dramatically reduce numbers. But hell if you're setting up a reservation system implement it for day hikers as well.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 12:59 pm 
neek wrote:
I don't see Kim saying anywhere the upper trailhead should be closed. You are making it sound like public shuttle vs. parking is an either/or thing. Doesn't have to be.
You didn't see me arguing that Kim said the upper trailhead should be closed, either. You're shuttling...goalposts! tongue.gif She said mandatory, I merely noted it and responded.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 1:01 pm 
joker wrote:
Well places like the South Rim at the Grand Canyon and the upper Virgin River Valley at Zion have gone to this, and people who experienced the period right before in each case as well as the after seem to mostly agree that it's a good chance in those cases. I haven't been out 8 mile ever, so don't know if it's reached a similar point or not. But sometimes reality trumps ideology...
It never does, since ideology is required to make judgments about reality in the first place. But claiming someone *else* is being ideological is very popular, for sure.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:01 pm 
Just make the parking lots bigger. Most folks are driving over 100 miles from Seattle, what is the point of making them get on a shuttle for the last 5 miles? Can't imagine it is much of an environment impact. From what I can tell both Stuart Lake and Eight Mile have old logging roads that extend from the current parking lots, so widen them a bit and convert them into additional parking. The area has already been impacted. The way I see it those mountains surrounding Colchuck Lake have been standing for millions of years and will go on standing for millions more, but it is only in the last couple thousand years that the earth has had a species capable of appreciating their aesthetics and beauty. And who knows how long we'll be around! Seems like we are doing those mountains a disservice by limiting the number of people who can get up there and see them!

neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:24 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
You didn't see me arguing that Kim said the upper trailhead should be closed, either. You're shuttling...goalposts!
At this point just exploring the solution space for a difficult problem--not just for Colchuck parking, but at many trailheads across the state exploding in popularity. (Ira Spring and Pratt? Hidden Lake Lookout?) I get that you don't like public transportation and feel a need to invent words like "shuttlephile" to make fun of those who do, but I don't buy that perpetuating status quo (i.e. building more parking and encouraging more driving) is necessarily the best solution. Nor do I like turning people away, because as you pointed out, we've paid our fees and taxes. Ideally I'd like public agencies to be adequately funded for the jobs they are tasked with. (Feel free to laugh here.) If they were, what combination of parking/shuttling would I like to see? Well, I suppose that depends on the specifics of the trailhead. I've been stuck behind a train of slowpokes on Eightmile road and had to park half a mile back--at 7am. The situation is bad even if they widen the road a few feet to accommodate safe shoulder parking. A weekend shuttle really seems like the perfect solution. Perhaps mandatory except for those with an overnight permit. At Zion they are free and run roughly every 10 mins from 7am-10pm. This really doesn't seem like such a bad deal even for the most car-addicted individual. Closing down the whole Icicle seems silly, since there are campgrounds, climbing crags, and less popular trails without parking issues. But something needs to change and I think these shuttlephiles are onto something. Furthermore, your car is safer at a large monitored lot, and you don't have to drive 100 miles in a gas guzzler just to have high clearance for the last 5 miles. I wasn't quite sure of the shuttle solution either at first (to be honest I kind of agree that buses suck) but am starting to convince myself!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 pm 
nickmtn wrote:
Just make the parking lots bigger.
And pay for the construction with a tax cut!

contour5

contour5
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:58 pm 
If you widen the road and quadruple the parking space, then you've got like 800 cars and several thousand day hikers on the trail to Colchuck. What if there are zombies lurking among the sweaty groaning masses? What then? The slowest, most untrailworthy will be stampeded; crushed, pummeled and gnawed at. And they'll never see it coming because fully half the dayhikers out there look exactly like zombies after a couple of steep miles. I'm thinking fully automated shuttle buses that deliver hikers to random trailheads, and then assigns them their hike for the day, based on an algorithm that takes into account trailworthiness, hiker density, recent impact levels and other important factors. So, basically you won't know where you're going until you get there and the little kiosk spits out a ticket with your name and destination on it. The whole system could be bankrolled by producing a fake reality tv show and merch campaign.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 7:16 pm 
My daughter attended a friend's wedding at Inspiration Lake in the core area last saturday. The couple wanted a sunrise ceremony so the wedding party hit the Colchuck TH just after midnight. She said they could not believe the current situation, even after Labor Day. It was a small group and she and several others went out via Snow Lakes but the bride and groom backtracked to Aasgard Pass. She thinks they will have lifetime memories about that event for several reasons. I got the feeling that may be her last trip up there even though she is now a local in Leavenworth.

JPH

JPH
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 am 
contour5 wrote:
The slowest, most untrailworthy will be stampeded; crushed, pummeled and gnawed at.
Well those people clearly didn't do their requisite number of Si and Tiger laps prior to entering the Enchantments, so really they had it coming.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 8:42 am 
nickmtn wrote:
but it is only in the last couple thousand years that the earth has had a species capable of appreciating their aesthetics and beauty
Seems a bit anthropocentric and presumptuous.