Forum Index > Food & Grub > Favorite Pizza
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 9:19 am 
Braun Yr Aur in Naches no questions asked. Pair some delicious pizza with beaver deceiver cream ale.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 pm 
Back home again now and already jonesing any New York pizza. My favorite on this trip was "Made in New York Pizza." (in spite of the gimmicky name)
Made in New York Pizza
Made in New York Pizza

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 12:16 pm 
Serious Pizza in Ilwaco makes darn good Neapolitan style pizzas. Check them out if you're don on the Long Beach Peninsula or at CD. I've continued to evolve my home pizza making. I bought a cookbook called The Pizza Bible by Tony Gemgiani and I now use his crust recipe, and buy canned tomatoes that he recommends as they produce a sauce that blows away any others I've tried (I use either 7-11 tomatoes which I have to buy in number 10 cans so I freeze a bunch of baggies of one-pie doses or 6-in-one tomatoes; I'd give the 7-11 a bit of an edge fwiw). His crust dough is a bit involved, with the making of a "starter" in one overnight period, then making the dough and forming balls and letting them have a "delayed fermentation" for another overnight period. Crust consistency and flavor as well as handling during prep are best of any doughs I've made or bought. I also bought a "pizza steel" to use in my oven in place of a stone. I got the 3/8 inch steel from Dough Joe. I preheat it for an hour at 500, then while starting to stretch out the dough and do other final prep, I turn on the broiler in the oven (you have to have a top broiler for this to work!) which gets the steel up around 600 degrees give or take. This gives great heat from both above and below, the lack of which is one of the failings of much home pizza cooking. The pizza cooks in 3-4 minutes and has lovely bubbling cheese/sauce and charred edges and leopard spotting on the bottom. Using this technique along with the NY/NJ style dough and sauce from The Pizza Bible gives me a pie that's as good as all but perhaps the one or two best places I ever ate at in the Northeast. I suspect the biggest difference there is their 900 degree coal fired ovens... In hot weather, I will sometimes cook my pies on my gas grill using a Mighty Pizza oven, which also manages to get good heat both above and beneath the pizza. It gets up to around 700 degrees and cooks the pies in 3 minutes give or take. It's a bit more of a chore to use and doesn't really make a better result than the steel in my oven, so I usually just go with the latter unless I don't want all that oven heat in the house. The Pizza Bible covers a wide range of styles, including things like Detroit style pizza (whodathunk? but I found a place making them on the edge of Boise on my last trip through there and it was pretty good comfort food!!). The author also runs a few pizzerias in and around SF, CA, and based on getting slices from a counter service shop of his in SF I'd rate them among the top I've had in the Northeast.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 6:02 pm 
joker wrote:
including things like Detroit style pizza (whodathunk?
Love me some Detroit style pizza. I tried a couple times to make it but never really got it right. Buddy's Pizza is the original and the best of the Detroit style pizzarias. I used to stop in there almost every Friday night after work when I lived there. Anyway, to add to this thread ... if you are ever in the Olympics and coming through PA, try Barhop and their sourdough crust pizzas. In my opinion they are the best in town. And you can swill down some good beer as well. I like the dark beers, so the Summer Stout and Judge Porter are my favorites in that category. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I tried a couple times to make it but never really got it right.
The Pizza Bible says part of the magic is having the right pan. In Detroit they started I think as a re use of pans meant to catch oil and grease under cars. I think they have a dark finish.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 pm 
Detroit style is heavy! When the air bubbles in the dough are filled with grease you know your bowels are gon' pay

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 18, 2019 10:50 pm 
In Detroit I liked Buddy"s Pizza the best and a close second was Loui's at 9 and Dequindre. Neither seemed overly loaded down with grease. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Gil

Gil
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am 
Brier Pizza. No. 11, hold the pineapple.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 pm 
I'll have to try Brooklyn Brothers in Everett. They were getting love in this thread nine years ago, still getting it. My favorite is J&G Pizza in East Granby Connecticut.

mike

mike
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 5:45 pm 
DundelionPie
Streethopper

DundelionPie
Streethopper
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 am 
Firstly: after I tried a homemade pizza from mini-oven this summer I was so inspired and liked it so much that I couldn't resist getting one for myself. So this autumn my number one pizza was produced by my own hands in the Ooni. Secondly: never take a portable oven for hiking! It becomes absolutely unwieldy after a second... no, the first hour from the start. And pizza doughs that were taken with you become just a sticky mess. NEVER.

One step forward, two steps back.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Nov 05, 2019 10:14 pm 
Still miss Jo Mama’s, Olympia, Good ol’ sprouts on top hippie pizza.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Nov 07, 2019 6:02 pm 
I had the papa Murphy's other day. It has a certain unique flavor that is very distinct. Think I got the special or whatever it had like olives and meats and whatnot. Today I added on an impulse slice of pep from pagliacci on top of my normal lunch. That's what's been going on in my pizza life.

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 5:41 pm 
I'm a huge fan of Kenji Lopez-Alt and his site The Food Lab. This recipe for no-knead pizza in a cast iron is amazing every time I've made it. It's especially good in my Green Egg knock-off when you can get the heat up around 550 degrees. In my next house I'm building an outdoor pizza oven!

neek

neek
PostFri Nov 08, 2019 6:09 pm 
GN, that's intriguing, may have to try it. Our go-to is DIY as well: part whole wheat natural sourdough crust adapted from the Tartine Bread book (took a few months to get the starter really going) with full fat mozzarella. Kid's favorite toppings are onions, red pepper, zucchini, and sausage. In summer it becomes a more normal yeasted crust slapped on the grill, either neapolitan style or with a pesto sauce.