Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Roosevelt (11/2/02)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Nov 04, 2002 2:07 am 
Decided to head up to Mt Roosevelt on Saturday. The trail to Snow Lake was snowfree on the southern slopes leading up to the saddle, with 2 inches of snow on the northern slopes leading down to Snow Lake. There were patches of ice in places but I made it to Gem Lake just fine in running shoes. Above Gem Lake the snow started getting a little deeper but I keep my running shoes on as I was navigating the ridge without difficulty thanks to my trekking poles. As I neared Mt Roosevelt I concluded it would not be safe to scramble the steep gully alone in slippery conditions and opted for the northern bump instead (approx 5750'). Great views in all directions (much better than I expected) including peek-a-boo views of Upper and Lower Wildcat Lakes. Lighting conditions weren't the best, but I managed to capture a panorama that turned out ok. I basked in surprising warmth for about an hour before deciding to head down. As dusk approached, aplenglow lit up the surrounding peaks in purple and red, making for slow going. I eventually made it to the saddle above Snow Lake by 6:15 PM and headlamped it the rest of the way back to the car. Stats: 13 miles, 3300' of gain, 5 hours up, 4 hours down, running shoes all the way biggrin.gif
Icy Log Along Snow Lake
Icy Log Along Snow Lake
Snoqualmie Mtn
Snoqualmie Mtn
Mt Hinman To Chikamin Peak
Mt Hinman To Chikamin Peak
Panorama from near Mt Roosevelt
Panorama from near Mt Roosevelt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 04, 2002 6:36 pm 
Thomas you da man. Youve gotten out this year!!! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message