Forum Index > Trip Reports > Norway Pass 9/06/2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 pm 
Spent a beautiful day in the Windy Ridge area last week! Still a few flowers mixed in with the start of the fall colors. The road has certainly deteriorated over the years - the drive past Meta lake out Windy Ridge is frankly terrifying thanks to the decaying state of the road. I've posted a bunch of photos from the hike on my blog: https://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2019/09/norway-pass-adventure.html

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bob2005

Bob2005
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 8:02 pm 
Beautiful video. I especially enjoyed the clouds moving across the lake. The new growth and dead trees from the eruption are wonderful, showing the evolution. The music synchronized with the images. Very well done. Thanks for sharing!

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 10:22 pm 
Wow! That is beautiful! Very , very well done. If there is ever a time when I miss the Cascades, this would certainly bring it back.

When I grow up I wanna play.
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 6:45 am 
Are drones legal in that part of Mt St Helens Natl Monument?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 11:32 am 
John Morrow wrote:
Are drones legal in that part of Mt St Helens Natl Monument?
I had the same thought when I first saw this thread, since drones are a menace outdoors and I go to St. Helens frequently. Unfortunately, it seems that since it's a national monument (including the Norway Pass area filmed above), it's not technically a "wilderness" and thus there's no prohibition on drones. I found a drone forum post where someone said the visitor center even has info for drone pilots. Can't verify that since I never go to JRO, but seems like flying your drone over Coldwater Lake like that is unfortunately legal. shakehead.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 11:48 am 
This link has a map that identifies no drone zones. Presumably you can fly elsewhere in the NVM. If so, Nowray Pass is legal. Coldwater would not be. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd544862.pdf

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 1:31 pm 
Thanks Tom! I missed the no drones designation when I checked that map previously. Glad to see they're not allowed in the core monument! smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)