Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Sep 07, 2019 8:17 pm 
Just caught Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Really, really good. I like all of Tarantino’s films but this one ended up actually being one of my favorites. Awesome ending.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 10, 2019 8:29 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Just caught Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Really, really good. I like all of Tarantino’s films but this one ended up actually being one of my favorites. Awesome ending.
Isn't that about the whole Charle Manson thing?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:24 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Isn't that about the whole Charle Manson thing?
Tarantino's alternate reality of it at least. Really enjoyed it as well, but I'm a big fan of all his movies.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm 
This one's upcoming. Should be interesting. Recent NYTimes article: Linda Ronstadt, retired from singing, is still a glorious voice.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 pm 
"Little Secrets" is a charming family film from 2001 I don't recall ever hearing about. Stars Evan Rachel Wood when she was around 14. While it was probably targeted to kids and early teens, it isn't juvenile. Well acted, good story, quality production.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Sep 20, 2019 9:46 pm 
I definitely remember hearing about "Denial" when it was released (2016), but I never saw it til now. Excellent film, good performances throughout. It's a based on a true story legal drama. A Holocaust denier has brought a defamation suit against professor and author from Georgia. The suit is in England, where the legal system works differently than ours. Instead of the burden of proof being on the accuser it is the opposite. Worth a watch. I also recently saw the last of the X-Men films from Fox. I had low expectations for it, but watched it anyway. It was a healthy dose of meh and who cares. That franchise was horribly mishandled and bungled. Pretty much no continuity at all, they all might as well be stand alone films. The same writer tried for a second time to bring the Jean Grey/Phoenix saga to film and arguably failed even worse this time. Good riddance to Simon Kinberg, Bryan Singer and anyone else associated w/ Fox who played a role in those films. Maybe Marvel Studios can do something with it after a little cooling off period.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 7:46 pm 
Saw a trailer for "Above the Shadows" recently. Not sure if it ever hit theaters, Netflix probably won't ever have it available (although you can add it to your queue), Redbox has it. It looked interesting, and I'm a big fan of Olivia Thirlby, so I gave it a shot. Takes a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief, but if you can accomplish that I thought it was a solid indie. When Thirlby's character was 12 years old her mother died, and soon thereafter she basically disappeared. She was still alive, but nobody could see her or hear her, and her dad and 2 siblings seemed to forget she ever existed. Fast forward to her being an adult, her invisibility is perfect for her being a free lance photographer who gets lots of juicy pics to sell to tabloids. Then one day a bouncer/disgraced former MMA fighter actually sees her. She figures they were fated to meet and somehow they can help each other. She helps him get his career back on track, but the solution to her extreme problem proves to be more elusive. It's a bit strange but I enjoyed it.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 pm 
Finally got around to seeing "Green Book" - really glad I did! The acting was just superb (although what else would you expect from Viggo Mortensen?), as was the writing (by the son of the real life character). The movie is just a wonderful mix of thought provoking moments, hilarious comedy, and genuinely touching scenes and overall story. I don't think I've ever seen a message about equality and race handled so perfectly in a film. It's rare that I finish watching something and can't think of a single aspect that could possibly be improved, but that was the case with Green Book. There's no doubt in my mind that it thoroughly deserved Best Picture.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 pm 
Not a movie. I binged a new limited series from Netflix--"Unbelievable." It's based on a true story that began in Lynnwood. I thought it was excellent, very well done. It is very graphic in a few scenes and overall fairly disturbing due to the subject matter (a serial rapist). I've been a fan of Kaitlyn Dever for years, she was terrific in this. She played the unfortunate young woman from Lynnwood who nobody believed when she came forward with her story. Also strong performances from Toni Collette and Merritt Wever, as a pair of detectives in Colorado. It seemed like 2 unrelated stories happening simultaneously, but it finally tied together at the end.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 12:09 pm 
Country Music - a film by Ken Burns This is an amazing history of the genre, much like Burns' documentary on jazz. If you hurry, you can still stream the episodes for free online. I couldn't imagine how Burns would fill 16 hrs without it being a snore, but the hours zoomed by. I appreciated how he wove together the early history of all the roots music from whence it comes. Even Wynton Marsalis is interviewed. What? Johnny Cash hung with Ray Charles and Dylan? I had no idea. Burns has a "formula", but it works - lots of historical footage, stills animation, talking heads interviews and some in-depth bios of the "greats": The Carter Family, Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn Willie Nelson. My tastes in country music are sorta narrow and tend toward the folkie stuff, but enjoyed seeing the whole spectrum in context, against the backdrop of US history. Lotsa good quality time spent on the bluegrass greats (Monroe & Stanley), also the crossovers: Emmy Lou Harris, Kris Kristofferson, even Gram Parsons. Those less familiar with country will be surprised at how the roots spread out. As Parsons called it, "Cosmic American Music". A few faves got zero footage or just a mention - like Alison Krause and KD Lang, but I guess you can't include all the contemporaries. Critical points? Using Peter Coyote (AGAIN) for a narrator. And although he helped re-popularize country music in its moribund phase and is important for that, I just can't abide Garth Brooks. He learned well the marketing value of the concert hall "spectacles" of heavy metal bands, et al. But you get the impression that Brooks' concerts are mostly about Brooks, not music.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 pm 
"ChickLit" was mildly amusing. 4 guys ghost write a "50 Shades..." type of book, then have to hire an actress to pretend to be the author when the book is actually published. Things of course don't go to plan after that. Mostly unfamiliar cast to me other than John Hurt and Dakota Blue Richards. Decent enough, took a bit long to get the ball rolling but it was fine once it did.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 pm 
I just saw Joker and it well deserved its controversial status. It's fantastic, thought provoking and Joaquin Phoenix is amazing...but. I distinctly felt uncomfortable with it, because there's been this unwritten rule that one does not glorify the bad guy. The movie doesn't do that, but... I'd say it's a must-see movie, but...

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Oct 15, 2019 11:45 pm 
Saw "Yesterday" last week. Enjoyed it overall. It was not as whimsical or lighthearted as I thought it would be. The lead was good. What really drew me to the film is Lily James, and she did not disappoint. The music was fun, even though I'm really not a big Beatles fan. Watched a pair of films tonight. "Anna" is certainly not original (the similar La Femme Nikita/Point of No Return has seen numerous film and tv versions, plus the recent Atomic Blonde and Red Sparrow). I still found it entertaining. It can be a little frustrating with quite a few jumps in time line both forward and backward. Very twisty. Of course that is expected in this genre but you aren't quite sure how many twists there will be or where it will finally end up. The lead is a former model with very limited previous acting credits. I thought she did fine in the role. Saw the most recent Spider-Man. I really didn't enjoy "Homecoming." I tried with this one, but I didn't like it either. Too much goofy high school drama. Half of the characters are just irritating to me. Their take on Flash is just dumb, Peter's best friend is a goofball, MJ doesn't do much for me (and the very talented actress Angourie Rice is being wasted in a small role). The 2 teachers/chaperones on the trip were like slapstick/comic relief, just out of place in this film in my mind. I'll take the Sam Raimi Spidey flicks any day over the most recent version. I'm a bit worried where Marvel is going post-End Game. At least they brought back JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson. The post credit scene w/ Nick Fury--what the hell?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Oct 19, 2019 4:15 pm 
"The Art of Self Defense"....wow, did not expect that to go where it did. Interesting film. Jessie Eisenberg is a mousy accounting guy, gets even mousier after being assaulted and severely beaten. On a whim walks into a dojo and quickly finds himself learning karate. His instructor, who literally calls himself Sensei (played by Alessandro Nivola), take Jessie under his wing. The only woman at the dojo, played by Imogen Poots, is also a major character. Won't say anything else to avoid spoilers. I was pleasantly surprised. "Anna and the Apocalypse" hit theaters almost a year ago. I finally watched it. I expected it to be really strange, but was looking forward to it. High school musical/zombie/dramedy. I'll give it some credit for being different, but it missed the mark. Started out campy and fun, then turned dark and serious, stopped being fun. Wouldn't recommend it.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Oct 20, 2019 12:52 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm really unhappy with the new season of Designated Survivor - why the heck did they decide to make it TV-MA? It's like Netflix is an edgy teenager who has just discovered swear words......
Agreed! It was pretty good up until then....and what a nosedive! I/we should have quit watching, but we didn't.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology