Forum Index > Trail Talk > Helicopter(s) in Icicle Canyon today 9-23 possibly servicing Klonaqua/Square lake dams?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm 
Since around 8:00 AM this morning there has been a blue and white helicopter flying continuously up and down the Icicle Canyon, making round trips every 15-20 minutes (it's about noon now and they are still flying). From my vantage point, I can't see where the destination is, but it is somewhere upriver beyond Johnny Creek CG and likely passed Ida Creek CG as well. They are carrying cargo on the upriver legs and returning downriver without a load below. I know that the irrigation districts that have dams on the 5 lakes in the valley have agreements/permits to conduct periodic maintenance on their dams so I am guessing this is what is going on today - flying supplies/equipment/crews in for that purpose. The only recent fire in the region has been a small, smoldering, unattended fire in Index Creek and given the amount of rain over the past 2 weeks, I doubt they are working on that (they'd probably approach that from the east anyway). Since the other dams on Snow Lake, Colchuck and Eightmile are all south of where they are flying I presume they are going in and out of either Klonaqua Lakes or Square Lakes. If you have plans to hike to either Klonaqua Lakes or Square Lake soon, I recommend that you check with the USFS in L'worth first if you want to avoid camping near a construction zone. I could be wrong about all my assumptions. Just a heads up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 pm 
Resupplying some hut ski thing or repairs near the head of the icicle near stevens? I could see a helo doing some of that? Icicle seems like a good way in and out to that area from the drier east side.

Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 12:53 pm 
It's more fun to guess than to call USFS and ask hahaha