Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Disappearing Glaciers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 8:01 am 
An article in today's Herald featuring Mauri Pelto Chronicling the last years of a dying North Cascades glacier

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 8:45 pm 
Thank you for your posts in this thread backpacker Joe. I can hardly believe the apathetic and short sighted comments in this important thread. All you have to do is stand on a freeway overpass in Seattle for 20 or 30 minutes counting cars and trucks, then multiply that by, mmm...I guess a billion times to realize in your gut and heart that human activity is devastating the climate\planet. Its that old pesky law of cause and effect. Unfortunately, mainly because a money controlled populace are too hypnotized and have given away there power to apathy, its going to be terrible.
Quote:
My favorite color is snow. Schluctism

We are all brothers in the mountains. Psalm 113
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm 
Thanks for bumping this thread. If anyone is interested in what Hinman Lake or Pea Soup Lake looked like in 1958, you can check it out here: https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer Enter "Mount Daniel, WA" in the search box, then click on Aeriels > 1958 (and 1998 to see the change over 40 years). Sorry, can't post screen prints as it's copyrighted material.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 8:28 pm 
Tom, that is a really cool site that I didn't know about. I was curious where their data came from and what makes it copyrighted.
1958 Middle Fork road switchback
1958 Middle Fork road switchback
It seems the raw aerial imagery in this particular case comes from the publicly available aerial imagery at Earth Explorer (the UI takes some time to work through), but it has been modified to be georeferenced so it is orthographically regular. That is a big deal and makes the Earth Explorer raw images a little difficult to work with -- you can't just overlay them on a modern map. So kudos to them for making this data so accessible, even if it is plastered with copyright watermarks.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 pm 
Yeah, normally I just pull up Google Earth and click on historical imagery but that only went back to the late '90s. Too bad Google Earth can't work its magic for the older aerials.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 pm 
Here are a series of Olympus Blue Glacier photos I have personally taken over the years, 1981-2019 (two weeks ago). Notice the startling decay of the eastern icefall--mostly in the last fourteen years. Less apparent in the pictures is how dramatically the surface of the lower Blue has "dropped." I'd guess it's an extra 200' down to the ice from the top of the moraine now than when I first visited in 1976. 1981
2019 - The lower glacier has a fair amount of garbage emerging--dumped into Snowdome crevasses decades ago by researchers from my Alma Mater. Shame.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:42 am 
And this news over in Italy: https://www.thelocal.it/20190925/roads-closed-as-experts-warn-that-mont-blanc-glacier-may-collapse

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:21 pm 
Arctic sea ice, 2019 minimum? http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 8:09 pm 
Does any person out there have pictures of the unnamed glacier between Vesper peak and Big Four? There is a lake below called, Copper Lake. Do you know the place? The view I have in mind is from the summit of Vesper Peak looking north off that fantastic north face wall. I wonder how that glacier is doing and what is it called. Maybe we can name it. The Wilting Glacier. Or, The Ghost Glacier, or Old Slushy. Anyhow, if I am correct, this is the only glacier feeding the Spada Lake Reservoir. Please correct me if I am wrong. Please post pics of this glacier here. Good luck, Billy

BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain
PostFri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 pm 
Bryan R, Thanks for your very important post here. In my view, these forums are excellent for presenting personal experiences. These 20 and 30plus year picture documentarys is just that. Please post your personal notes and pictures as you have seen this terrible subject of watching our glaciers melting, or not melting? Good luck, Billy

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 4:51 pm 
Billy, I don’t think your photos loaded. I wish I had old photos, but I don’t. I clearly remember crossing the white chuck glacier in the 80’s, and then seeing the change 10 yrs later and then again ever few years. It’s incredible how different that basin is now. It doesn’t feel like the weather now is that much different from back then, but it must be. I personally think particulates in the air (landing on snow/ice) might also be a factor besides temperature.

When I grow up I wanna play.