Forum Index > Trail Talk > Navy helicopter pulls Injured backpacker out of Elwha Valley
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:11 pm 
A helicopter team from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island was called in to airlift an injured backpacker out of the Elwha Valley Wednesday morning. Olympic National Park fisheries crew at work in the Elwha Valley notified Olympic National Park dispatch of an injured hiker on Tuesday evening, according to a news release from Olympic National Park. The crew was near Krause Bottom and had met a group on a backpacking trip who reported that a member of their group was injured. The group told park workers a 70-year-old Bremerton woman had been injured on the first day of their trip five days prior. After the injury, the group continued to hike almost eight miles of their planned trip over the course of several days rather than walk out or seek help, according to the park. https://www.theolympian.com/outdoors/article235520567.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 9:16 pm 
Wednesday September 25, 2019 17:29 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Injured Backpacker Rescued from Elwha Valley At 5:09 pm on September 24, Olympic National Park fisheries crew at work in the Elwha Valley notified Olympic National Park dispatch of an injured hiker. The crew was located near Krause Bottom and had met a group on a backpacking trip who reported that a member of their group was injured. A 70-year-old female from Bremerton, WA sustained an injury on the first day of their trip five days prior. After the injury, the group continued to hike almost eight miles of their planned trip over the course of several days rather than walk out or seek help. Due to the time of day the report came in, it was decided that park emergency services staff would hike in and evaluate the injured hiker the next morning. At 10:05am on Wednesday, September 25, park staff arrived at the group’s location to conduct a medical evaluation. Olympic Mountain Rescue was on standby in case a litter carryout was necessary. However, due to the nature and severity of the injury it was determined that a litter carryout was not feasible. A helicopter team from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island was requested to perform the rescue. The helicopter landed on a gravel bar on the Elwha River and a paramedic provided medical treatment as the patient was prepared for a hoist. At 12:15 pm the patient was hoisted and transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Having an emergency plan in place and practicing it before your trip will help you and your group know what to do if someone becomes injured or lost. Visitors are urged to plan ahead, hike smart, pack the Ten Essentials, and have an emergency plan even for a day hike. Hiking is a popular activity through the fall and visitors are reminded to be prepared for changing weather conditions that can also affect rescue efforts. Consider learning CPR and basic wilderness first aid, especially if you are planning to hike in the backcountry. The National Park Service partners and trains with the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard to perform helicopter rescues in Olympic. The total number of SAR incidents in Olympic National Park for 2019 is 78. For information about planning ahead and staying safe while visiting and hiking in national parks visit https://www.nps.gov/subjects/trails/hiking-safety.htm. For information on planning a backpacking trip in Olympic National Park check out the Wilderness Trip Planner guide at https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-trip-planner.htm. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 am 
Ski wrote:
After the injury, the group continued to hike almost eight miles of their planned trip over the course of several days rather than walk out or seek help.
This just blows me away! Something's "off" here, and not being completely researched and reported. Especially since rescue required helo ops. I wonder what the rest of the story really is, or if the group is truly as callous as it appears from the article?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 9:12 am 
To be clear: I did not write that. It is a copy-and-paste of the Olympic National Park News Release regarding the incident.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 9:31 am 
Ski wrote:
To be clear: I did not write that. It is a copy-and-paste of the Olympic National Park News Release regarding the incident.
Oh, yeah Ski, I knew that. But for a group to just leave an injured hiker and continue on their way instead of sending for assistance? That is either not being reported correctly (or completely), or is incredibly cold on the part of the group. I have to wonder what the real story is. huh.gif Something's "off" here, I think.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 9:51 am 
It doesn't say they left her there. It just says that "they continued". I would posit that this has more to do with poor sentence structure on the part of the writer than some sort of nefarious negligent nincompoopery.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Sep 29, 2019 5:49 pm 
Ski wrote:
It doesn't say they left her there. It just says that "they continued". I would posit that this has more to do with poor sentence structure on the part of the writer than some sort of nefarious negligent nincompoopery.
Ok, now re-reading it in that light, your assessment makes more sense. I read it in a much too literal way I see. Thanks for the clarifying observation. 👍

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am 
She continued to hike after the injury, with the group. https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/backpacker-airlifted-from-park/ Backpacker airlifted from park by Rob Ollikainen Friday, September 27, 2019 9:24am OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK — A 70-year-old backpacker was airlifted from the Elwha River Valley to Harborview Medical Center on Wednesday after sustaining an injury in a fall nearly a week earlier, Olympic National Park officials said. The Bremerton woman, who was not named by the park, was injured in a fall while backpacking with a group of hikers Sept. 19. The injury was not reported by the group. “The injury occurred on the first day of their trip,” Penny Wagner, Olympic National Park spokeswoman, said Thursday. The injury was reported at 5:09 p.m. Tuesday by a park fisheries crew that had met the group, five days after the fall occurred. “After the injury, the group continued to hike almost eight miles of their planned trip over the course of several days rather than walk out or seek help,” park officials said in a statement. “Due to the time of day the report came in, it was decided that park emergency services staff would hike in and evaluate the injured hiker the next morning.” Park crews arrived at the group’s location at Krause Bottom near Goblin Gates to conduct a medical evaluation at 10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Wagner said the woman was suffering from back pain. Olympic Mountain Rescue was on standby in case a carryout was necessary. “Due to the nature and severity of the injury it was determined that a litter carryout was not feasible,” park officials said. A helicopter crew from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island was requested to perform the rescue. The helicopter landed on a gravel bar on the Elwha River. A paramedic provided medical treatment to the woman. She was hoisted at 12:15 p.m. Wagner said she did not know if the woman’s injury was exacerbated as she continued to hike after the fall. “She was in a great deal of pain by the time they were doing the medical evaluation that morning,” Wagner said in a telephone interview. Hospitals will not release a patient’s condition without a name. Park officials encouraged the public to have an emergency plan in place before heading outdoors. To see the park’s plan, go to tinyurl.com/PDN-parkemergencyplan. “Visitors are urged to plan ahead, hike smart, pack the Ten Essentials, and have an emergency plan even for a day hike,” park officials said in a press release. “Hiking is a popular activity through the fall and visitors are reminded to be prepared for changing weather conditions that can also affect rescue efforts. Consider learning CPR and basic wilderness first aid, especially if you are planning to hike in the backcountry.” Olympic National Park has had 78 search and rescue incidents so far this year.